ЯR Feb 9 @ 4:19pm
Steam Box and Controller question / thought.
Sup fellas!

Lets cut to it shall we?
Been looking into the Steam-boxes and came across a site that said that all they are is gaming computers that have Steam's approval of meeting min requirements to run the Steam OS. So I ask why then bother with streaming your games and not just get a gaming pc in your livingroom that will play the game on it, after all its capable in terms of spec right..? get my drift? might as well eliminate whatever minimal lag there might occur from streaming the game.

So that was the thought now for the question: does anyone know what technology does the controller use to connect? is it blue-tooth for example or..?

Please pardon my ignorance on the subject I am here to deal with it :P
thanks for reading, peace.
Showing 1-3 of 3 comments
< >
Majestic Turkey Feb 9 @ 5:24pm 
Streaming isn't a goal, its a a fall back/bonus feature, otherwise spending 500+ dollars on a second rate experience of streaming..even with "minimal" lag is just a poor value.

As for what tech for the controller, it doesn't really matter, wireless controllers have been standard on consoles and such for years now, never mind wireless mice and keyboards.

Course once you start asking questions you might as well ask why don't you just play games on a real desktop, now monitors are going past 1080p and becoming affordable. Games like starcraft, or even fast fps twitch games like counterestrike, you can't play those at a distance with a gamepad, even world of warcraft, so many pc games just don't work on a tv at all...then you have to ask why bother. Its an ouja at the price of an iphone at this point.
ЯR Feb 9 @ 7:36pm 
Cool thanks. So streaming is bonus. Good, that makes more sense now.

But I did not get that OUYA analogy there... how is that a glorified OUYA when it is superior in spec (obviously, hense the price) but also when you have access to so many and incredibly better games than OUYA has. I already own nealy 100 games in steam, doubt OUYA has that many to choose from in the first place..
Majestic Turkey Feb 11 @ 7:10pm 
Originally posted by Neithorn:
Cool thanks. So streaming is bonus. Good, that makes more sense now.

But I did not get that OUYA analogy there... how is that a glorified OUYA when it is superior in spec (obviously, hense the price) but also when you have access to so many and incredibly better games than OUYA has. I already own nealy 100 games in steam, doubt OUYA has that many to choose from in the first place..

The ouja is basically a smart phone stripped of all its utility, mobility, mobile apps, productivity apps, chat, voice, video/photo/web etc. And thats almost fine because its price at a fraction of a smartphones price, even even then, the value is questionable.

The steambox is also a device which is stripped of most of its use, productivity and most other uses of a computer are highly impractical in a living room environment, so in effect its an ouja at the full price of an iphone.
Showing 1-3 of 3 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Feb 9 @ 4:19pm