ROSR97 5 fev. 2014 às 21:26
How's going to affect Steam machines to PC gaming?
I am not planning in buying a steam machin, because I alrady own a gaming PC, but steam machines live long enough to compete with the fast peace of consoles, or will it become a cheap excuse for valve to take money from other companies in the way?
< >
A mostrar 1-13 de 13 comentários
ROSR97 6 fev. 2014 às 23:05 
I know that, but do you think that valve will make the SteamOS and SteamMachine users their priority over their PC gamers, I mean, I haven't been on steam for much, but in comparison with people who has the 10 years on service medal, I really hope they dont mess up anything
Black Blade 7 fev. 2014 às 3:08 
Originalmente postado por ROSR97:
I know that, but do you think that valve will make the SteamOS and SteamMachine users their priority over their PC gamers, I mean, I haven't been on steam for much, but in comparison with people who has the 10 years on service medal, I really hope they dont mess up anything
I really do not think so... Valve preety much works on groups they build them self even more the SteamOS in the end is a Linux so even if they take care more of it also means more Linux updates, and i am guessing that they work in some groups what mean you have a group for the SteamOS one for Windows and so on.... so i do not think that will make much defrent.. even that on the start it may slow them down as they need to work more on the bugs of SteamOS and so on :D:
Ne0 7 fev. 2014 às 11:21 
Already have a pretty decent laptop (Lenovo Y500) - came with win8 - testing Ubuntu on it.
I am waiting for DDR4 and Intel Skylake, before I buy or build myself a Linux computer.

The REAL affect Steam machines will have, is the promotion of Linux as a gaming platform to game developers. When Developers realize gamers are moving off of windows, they will have to move on too.

Originalmente postado por Touching Hair:
It's unlikely to have any real impact.
Linux is probably not the best choice of OS since the vast majority of PC users want simplicity and don’t want to have to deal with the head ache that is Linux.
1) windows 8 has become joke of the year
2) Linux has more free software - especially for Computer Graphics lovers
3) Ubuntu has made Application installation simple - no more headache, unless you want to install a windows application on Linux, through Wine.
Última alteração por Ne0; 7 fev. 2014 às 11:47
Ne0 7 fev. 2014 às 12:15 
As I said, Ubuntu has made (Linux) Application installation simple - Click and Install - just like Google play
There's a separate password for the application installation so others can't install apps from your user account.
Try it, it's a hundred times easier than Fedora or Suse.
dirrtymartini 7 fev. 2014 às 12:18 
Yes, alot of people are unhappy with Windows 8 hence why they're still using Windows Vista/7, Mac or something else and Microsoft is (slowly) taking notice.

Most (if not all) of the free software you find in the Linux repos also support Windows, FreeBSD and often Mac.

That's the thing, installing software on Linux isn't so simple for the average user. The average user doesn’t want to type aptget or even want to open the console. The average user simply wants to double click and never have to do anything that requires you to enter passwords, open consoles, debug, etc. The average user wants plug & play.

Someone needs to update his FUD checklist:

A Ubuntu user never has to touch a console or run APT to install software these days. In fact, they haven't for the last two years. Just last week, I spun up an Ubuntu install with Steam and playing EUIV in about an hour and without touching a console or APT.
Última alteração por dirrtymartini; 7 fev. 2014 às 12:20
dirrtymartini 7 fev. 2014 às 12:20 
Originalmente postado por ROSR97:
I am not planning in buying a steam machin, because I alrady own a gaming PC, but steam machines live long enough to compete with the fast peace of consoles, or will it become a cheap excuse for valve to take money from other companies in the way?

I'm with you and will continue buying or building my own rigs.
dirrtymartini 7 fev. 2014 às 17:14 
(snip old FUD and nonsense).

First, you said the average Linux user running Linux has to open a console and run APT. They don't. You're flat out wrong on that. Ubuntu Software Center is point, click, and install within a GUI. OpenSUSE has yast2 which is...wait for it...another GUI tool for installing apps.

Second, you said the average Linux user wants to double click to run apps. In Linux, they can.

All the rest is you thrashing around trying to move the goalposts to avoid admitting that you were wrong. Your Linux FUD is outdated.

EDIT: Revised for accuracy
Última alteração por dirrtymartini; 8 fev. 2014 às 9:27
dirrtymartini 7 fev. 2014 às 18:07 
The average desktop user uses Windows, I made no mention of the average Linux user.

Fair point. You mentioned the average user installing Linux. I'll revise my earlier post.
Ne0 8 fev. 2014 às 8:54 
Linux OSs have become a lot easier to use but it still doesn’t change the fact that the average user isn’t capable of using it. The average user has a hard enough job with just performing day to day tasks on Windows.

The average user doesn’t know how to use Windows Office.
The average user doesn’t know what a driver is.
The average user doesn’t have the patience to learn.
If that's your definition of "average users" then I can accurately say, none of these "average users" are currently "Gamers".
Spaghetto 8 fev. 2014 às 9:23 
I don't really think that Steam Machines are going to impact that much people think.
dirrtymartini 8 fev. 2014 às 9:33 
Originalmente postado por EnderBlazex271:
I don't really think that Steam Machines are going to impact that much people think.

Sounds about right. People who want their hardware to just run will buy these machines. People who like to build, upgrade, and tinker will continue doing what we do.
Spencer 8 fev. 2014 às 19:12 
Nothing at all, it will attempt to cannibalize off existing sales, but most will see that its an ouja at the price of a real smart phone.

Just try playing starcraft using a gamepad on a tv from a couch;)

Most of the advantage of pc is just wasted in this form factor.

So yea thats the funny thing, it doesn't compete against consoles, it competes against pc's....in a bad way. Its a device sold on the claim that it can do a fraction of what a normal pc can, and not as good to boot.
Última alteração por Spencer; 8 fev. 2014 às 19:12
Doko 9 fev. 2014 às 19:34 
Honestly I don't see the machines making much of an impact like say online gaming or the light bulb (some here think that is the case).

I also don't see it competing with consoles, I don't get why people want that to happen, because there's only one emotion that stems from that desire and that's hate.
Última alteração por Doko; 9 fev. 2014 às 19:34
< >
A mostrar 1-13 de 13 comentários
Por página: 1530 50

Postado a: 5 fev. 2014 às 21:26
Comentários: 13