anerion26 Feb 5, 2014 @ 4:48pm
DRM hits new lows ??
Today i logged in to browse the goodies and see what im going to spend my $$$ on this week.

A unique looking title caught my eye : Masters of the World - Geopolitical Simulator 3.

Now after having a further browse past the $44.99 price tag ( 10% of atm ), things looked great until you see on the right hand side half way down the page that horrifying line " 3rd party DRM, 2 activation limit".

Confused and bewildered i dug around further and discovered that its not a typo and is indeed a strict 2 activation limit. Further to that if you go to the actual developer site, you can pay more $$ when you buy the game to get rights to re-download and activate as required for a 2 year period or purchase a DVD-ROM.

Now to simplify things in the big picture, replace your HDD, there goes an activation.
Laptop blew up ???, guess what, there goes an activation. Want to use your software at your second home ( work / mistress house / that hovel you hide in ), there goes another activation.
Need some space on your HDD, so you uninstall it for a month while you enjoy something else, to re-install it and hey presto !!, theres another activation. Hell im sure we've all had at least one time a game has finished downloading, only to be corrupted somehow and requiring a reinstall to correct, there goes another one.....

This level of Digital Restriction Management further to the steam client is absurd and obscene.

One look at the threads section for the forementioned game shows it has definately cost them sales outside of my own desire to purchase which was swiftly beaten out of me.

Thoughts people ???

Please express your disgust or desire for this level of DRM as you see fit.
Last edited by anerion26; Feb 5, 2014 @ 4:59pm
Showing 1-15 of 69 comments
< >
T@F Feb 5, 2014 @ 5:20pm 
I never buy games with activation limits.
I have been caught out though with borderlands dlc.but anyway glad you pointed this out as i shall avoid this game at all costs.

Stupid why devs do this tbh.
Spawn of Totoro Feb 5, 2014 @ 5:58pm 
It's not a "new" low. This kind of DRM has been done in the past. Unfortunately some developers still use it. Most replaced it by using Steam alone and dropping the limits.

Originally posted by T@F:
I never buy games with activation limits.
I have been caught out though with borderlands dlc.but anyway glad you pointed this out as i shall avoid this game at all costs.

If you use all the activation limits, try contacting the developer. Most the time they are willing to add and additional activation.
APerfectCircle Feb 5, 2014 @ 6:09pm 
Spectromancer has activation limits. I can't remember how many, perhaps three. But the developer has said multiple times on their forum that they will give you new activations if you just email them. But that doesn't change the fact that it's a hassle. I would probably not bother to buy a game if I knew about it before hand
T@F Feb 5, 2014 @ 6:55pm 
Originally posted by Spawn of Totoro:
If you use all the activation limits, try contacting the developer. Most the time they are willing to add and additional activation.

The point is we should not have to beg for something we already paid for.
Also i have read that some companys say we will do it this one time only as well.
We should never have activation limits no matter what.
Last edited by T@F; Feb 5, 2014 @ 6:56pm
[dirrty]gsharp Feb 5, 2014 @ 7:01pm 
Originally posted by anerion26:
Today i logged in to browse the goodies and see what im going to spend my $$$ on this week.

A unique looking title caught my eye : Masters of the World - Geopolitical Simulator 3.

Now after having a further browse past the $44.99 price tag ( 10% of atm ), things looked great until you see on the right hand side half way down the page that horrifying line " 3rd party DRM, 2 activation limit".

Please express your disgust or desire for this level of DRM as you see fit.

Thank you for the heads up! That 2 activation limit is offensive.

I had that game on my wishlist. Keyword being had.
Last edited by [dirrty]gsharp; Feb 5, 2014 @ 7:03pm
Spawn of Totoro Feb 5, 2014 @ 7:03pm 
Originally posted by T@F:
The point is we should not have to beg for something we already paid for.Also i have read that some companys say we will do it this one time only as well.We should never have activation limits no matter what.

Not arguing it is a bad idea, just offering a way to keep playing if others were still interested in a way.
Last edited by Spawn of Totoro; Feb 5, 2014 @ 7:04pm
Hannibal's Leftovers Feb 6, 2014 @ 1:09am 
Ive bought their previous builds, they will not authorize new activations under any circumstance. They will offer you 20% to rebuy it though. Never again.
anerion26 Feb 6, 2014 @ 1:28am 
Originally posted by =TGY=CloudGT4:
<removed>

I'm all for anti-piracy and completely respect the right of developers to earn money for their work. That is not the case here, you've poorly attempted to redirect the topic of the thread and seemed to have missed the fact i had a desire to purchase the game and use it until i noticed the agressive aplication of DRM in this situation. This is not about piracy and trying to debate an endless topic, its simply about the rights of the consumer to use a product their paying for.

This is an example of the most agressive DRM that appears to take no account for hardware changes, lifestyle circumstances, software and OS glitches, HDD size limitations, and the list goes on. Piracy has nothing to do with limiting legitimate purchase and use of software.

It could be argued that this level of DRM would actually promote piracy. Look at it from the perspective of someone who has paid for the game, only to suffer once they discover the DRM that was bundled with their purchase. Now locked out of using the product they legitimately purchased, unable to / unwilling to contact support for the product and attempt to recover use of what they paid for, they decide to now go and grab it from a torrent thus actually contributing to piracy further.

Now the next time you decide to take an uneducated and baised veiw regarding DRM and try to turn it into an arguement in support of it due to piracy, id suggest you go inhale some car exhaust and stop wasting the oxygen the rest of the intelligent world uses.

Back to the question I asked in the first place, is this DRM a new low ??? are you for or against this level of DRM ???
Last edited by Spawn of Totoro; Feb 6, 2014 @ 6:37am
.... Feb 6, 2014 @ 2:04am 
It "might" not be that bad if they provided a tool to revoke an activation on a machine just like some other games that use such a limits system.That way,we can handle it all our own.Unfortunately,the devs or publisher of this game is so paranoid that such a tool is out of the question.

I remembered a time when EA was adamant about using the same drm leading to the infamous Spore fiasco.It took much bad publicity(on polygon,ars techinca,etc),many banned users(arguing on EA forums) and a class action lawsuit before EA grudgingly allowed a revocation tool."Call our support line(yes,email was not an option at one point) us for extra activations,it is as simple as that!" but they seemingly ignored a valid concern among customers who raised the question "What if there isn't a local toll free support line in my country?The whole world dosen't just revolve around the US and EU you know".They refused to answer those concerns,seemingly expecting such customers to pay expensive long distance call to a TOLL FREE(only if call originates from inside the country) line for such "support"

Ahh,the good old times.
Last edited by ....; Feb 6, 2014 @ 2:11am
Zefar Feb 6, 2014 @ 2:17am 
Vote with your wallet and the company might learn that it's a bad thing.

Also this is a political game, I doubt a lot of gamers will care about it. So this might just be a company that isn't out to please gamers in mind.

Personally I haven't had any issues with games that have activation limits.
GenPattonBR Feb 6, 2014 @ 4:41am 
This is a very nice discussion and I've read some very smart arguments, specially from anerion26.

Keep in mind that ppl who pirate games are seldom, if ever, the same ones who buy games on Steam. The point however, is that anyone who pays US$ 50 for a game should not be punished with this kind of DRM. It is like calling the buyer a half-pirate.

This activation limit is a total lack of disrespect with the buyer. I am all for copy protection and some sort of DRM, and all we have so far is DRM making it a little more difficult, and not preventing piracy at all.

DRM should be about those who want the game without paying for it, and not limiting those who have paid US$ 50 for a game very few people know about.

Originally posted by Zefar:

I have.
Canti Feb 6, 2014 @ 5:12am 
This sort of thing was really common in the late 00's. It's rare that games do it these days, though. As others have said, just don't buy games that restrict your activations. Activations shouldn't even be necessary if you buy on Steam in the first place.
[dirrty]gsharp Feb 6, 2014 @ 8:30am 
Originally posted by Zefar:
Vote with your wallet and the company might learn that it's a bad thing.

Also this is a political game, I doubt a lot of gamers will care about it. So this might just be a company that isn't out to please gamers in mind.

Out of curiosity, have you dealt with other games that only allowed two activations? The number, and not the activation process itself, seems to be the issue here. The "usual" number of activations bundled with past games that imposed such a scheme had been around five.
Last edited by [dirrty]gsharp; Feb 6, 2014 @ 8:34am
Skyline-R34 Feb 6, 2014 @ 8:46am 
This issue on PSN for long time.
First it was 5, then 2.
d7602002 Feb 6, 2014 @ 8:54am 
2 is terrible. 5 is a good number as I can't imagine needing more than that, unless you are one of those people that re-installs windows every year for some reason. But at least with 5 it gives you a break if something fails and you replace your PC. But 2 just doesn't seem right.

Showing 1-15 of 69 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Feb 5, 2014 @ 4:48pm