This chat link filter is getting out of hand.
It's filtering just about everything now. Imgur, GFAQs, it doesn't matter.

http://i.imgur.com/Co3Vqc7.png
http://i.imgur.com/MVeFfn2.png

Frankly, this is unacceptable. What happened to the warning that Steam itself would pop up with that effectively said the same thing, and more importantly, could be permanently shut off?
Last edited by Snoop Dogg of Science; Jul 12, 2014 @ 1:25pm
< >
Showing 1-15 of 111 comments
Discussions_Acc Jul 12, 2014 @ 1:26pm 
You can still see the link and visit the site. I don't see what's getting filtered there.

Originally posted by Ulthael:
and more importantly, could be permanently shut off?
People saw it once, disabled it and forgot about it right after.
I'd implement it the same way it is now so I can always say "You have been warned right after you clicked that link".
Originally posted by Discussions_Acc:
You can still see the link and visit the site. I don't see what's getting filtered there.
All links pass through the filter. It's so aggressive now that practically any link will trip the warning.

People saw it once, disabled it and forgot about it right after.
And that's Valve's fault how? If someone is stupid enough to get caught by a phishing page, then they shouldn't have disabled it. They consciously made the decision to disable it. It is only their fault.

I'd implement it the same way it is now so I can always say "You have been warned right after you clicked that link".
See, this would be ok if the entire world was wired up with fiber and nobody had to wait 10+ seconds for a page to load. I'm currently in rural Kentucky where the only options are dial-up or satellite, and even on satellite it takes forever for anything to load. It is extremely aggravating to open a link, wait, only to be greeted with the warning page and have to wait again for the link I clicked in the first place to load.
sauce Jul 12, 2014 @ 1:39pm 
I'm all for having an option in the settings to disable it. Not having an option to disable it on the filter page, so people don't accidentally turn it off.
Dain Kinkaide Jul 12, 2014 @ 1:43pm 
The problem with the linkfilter is twofold:
1. There is no way to disable it. Make it difficult to find. Add a notice telling users they will forfeit their ability to ask for their account back in the event they get scammed after turning it off. Whatever it takes to allow end users to choose to not be treated like brainless idiots while still reducing the workload of admins/moderators.
2. The whitelist is pathetically small and can not be edited by the end user. If I could just add common links to my own personal whitelist, then this would cease to be a problem. Alternatively, some kind of community vote system where when a user is presented with the "leaving steam" warning, they can check a box saying the site is trusted. After enough people do that, then Valve can verify add it to the server-side whitelist.

Also, I'd heard that in beta versions, if the steamcommunity site was either down or slow, it would drastically affect the ability to follow all links, even those that are whitelisted. That may have been fixed by now; I'm not sure.
Last edited by Dain Kinkaide; Jul 12, 2014 @ 1:43pm
CharlestONE Jul 12, 2014 @ 1:47pm 
Just tie the filter in with the ability to trade/use the market. Inventories are the only real thing that needs protection as support has no problem restoring accounts and their games.

If the link filter is slowing down your life so drastically there is an easy solution: Copy & Paste
Discussions_Acc Jul 12, 2014 @ 1:47pm 
And that's Valve's fault how? If someone is stupid enough to get caught by a phishing page, then they shouldn't have disabled it. They consciously made the decision to disable it. It is only their fault.
It's not Valves fault but it's their problem. What do you think happens when someone gets phished? I tell you:
They go and flood the support.
Last edited by Discussions_Acc; Jul 12, 2014 @ 1:50pm
It's not Valve fault but it's their problem. What do you think happens when someone gets phished? I tell you:
They go and flood the support.
Then either beef up support or tweak the old warning to make damn sure you know the risks. Don't hobble every single user in every single chat because the lowest common denominator has zero notion of credentials security.
Error1355 Jul 12, 2014 @ 1:55pm 
This filter is so annoying. I don't need to click 'okay' to 'DON'T GIV UR PASSWORDS OUT LOL OKAY?'

I'm not a ♥♥♥♥♥.
Originally posted by HLCinSC:
Just tie the filter in with the ability to trade/use the market. Inventories are the only real thing that needs protection as support has no problem restoring accounts and their games.
Yes, your piles of hats is the only thing that needs protection. Not the $1,000 game libraries that a lot of users have.

If the link filter is slowing down your life so drastically there is an easy solution: Copy & Paste
Yeah, you go ahead and try to select the link of a text, and only that text, in a moderately active chat. And that's completely ignoring the fact that if steam is going to offer a quick route in hyperlinking, it is unnecessarily counterproductive to set up roadblocks along that shortened path.
CharlestONE Jul 12, 2014 @ 2:01pm 
Yes, your piles of hats is the only thing that needs protection. Not the $1,000 game libraries that a lot of users have.

Yeah, you go ahead and try to select the link of a text, and only that text, in a moderately active chat. And that's completely ignoring the fact that if steam is going to offer a quick route in hyperlinking, it is unnecessarily counterproductive to set up roadblocks along that shortened path.
Games are PERMANATELY linked to an account. After providing proof of ownership the account is easily returned to the proper owner. A phisher with an account with just games and no inventory can't do anything with it. It can't be sold, the market and trade system can't be flooded with that user's stolen games.
I have no trouble copying a link or right clicking it and selecting "copy link address" it takes me maybe two three seconds tops, but I guess that's too time consuming and complicated for some people.
Last edited by CharlestONE; Jul 12, 2014 @ 2:02pm
Kolby Jul 12, 2014 @ 2:04pm 
While this protection may be necessary for the instances in which a user tries to scam another, it drastically hinders users who chat on groups of people. I have large group of people I chat with on a daily basis. As human beings who peruse the internet for enjoyment, it is quite a common occurance to share various forms of entertainment then do not originate on steam (I was shocked to learn there was so much internet outside of steam). When you have a group of, let's say 30 people (none of whom I have any reason to distrust) sharing funny pictures or interesting news articles from the web, copying and pasting links becomes more of a challenge than trying to slay Alduin as a mute monk. The link can be gone in the blink of an eye, and as an adult with at least a partially functioning brain I think it would be most useful if I could, by my own will, disable it. Lay out the risks to me, prevent me from going to support if I'm foolish enough to click something from suspiciouslinks.numbers, but don't completely hinder my ability to see what others wish to share with me.
I have no trouble copying a link or right clicking it and selecting "copy link address" it takes me maybe two three seconds tops, but I guess that's too time consuming and complicated for some people.
Considering you can't right click and "copy link address" in a chat, you clearly don't know what the ♥♥♥♥ you're talking about. Good day sir.
Last edited by Snoop Dogg of Science; Jul 12, 2014 @ 2:05pm
CharlestONE Jul 12, 2014 @ 2:08pm 
Considering you can't right click and "copy link address" in a chat, you clearly don't know what the ♥♥♥♥ you're talking about. Good day sir.

I use the beta and a skin, but I can right click on a link in dm with another user but not in chat rooms. I guess I assumed the right click was a standard feature sorry.
Last edited by CharlestONE; Jul 12, 2014 @ 2:09pm
Originally posted by Error1355:
This filter is so annoying. I don't need to click 'okay' to 'DON'T GIV UR PASSWORDS OUT LOL OKAY?'

I'm not a ♥♥♥♥♥.
and:
A. you are not the only user here
B. How can we know or any one know you are not?
< >
Showing 1-15 of 111 comments
Per page: 15 30 50

Date Posted: Jul 12, 2014 @ 1:23pm