†S°L† Dr. Ben Dover Aug 17 @ 6:37pm
How Online DRM Ruins a Gamers Experience
Here im going to talk about how DRM ruins so many good games. First of all Ubisoft is the worst with DRM and their Uplay ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥. My good time was ruined when i bought a game for 20-30 dollars when it took a very long time to download when i did it gave me a Verification Code i enterd it and it said it was incorrect. SEE THE ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ THAT UBISOFT DOES TO YOU. Now i must state Rockstar does it too with GTA with the Social Club stuff. Now DRM can ruin a gamers pc experience as well causing them to quit gaming on a pc because of constant DRM. Now im going to tell you the biggest bull♥♥♥♥ off all...EA GAMES, Yes EA is so bad about DRM but i will also state that back in the day EA made actually good games. But Now with Their ALWASY ONLINE DRM it yet again ruins so many good games which causing some to be on Gamers worst games of the year list just because of the DRM. The things they are doing to fix this though is becoming good in that recently the current SimCity had a patch where you can play offline mode. But even now DRM is still a ♥♥♥♥♥. If you have a story where DRM ♥♥♥♥ed you over leave a comment telling me about it.(NOTE: sorry if i made some spelling errors)
Last edited by †S°L† Dr. Ben Dover; Aug 17 @ 6:39pm
Showing 1-15 of 30 comments
< >
Silicon Vampire Aug 17 @ 6:45pm 
Only DRM I've ever had issue with was StarForce, or StarFarce as I liked to call it. FUBARED an OS install and destroyed 2 brand new DVD writers (over $100 at the time). It did that without any warning of installation UNTIL AFTER it had already done so and went sideways. I would have never put the DVD in the drive had I known what it was about to install without my permission.

Never had any issues with any of the services you mentioned.
Last edited by Silicon Vampire; Aug 17 @ 6:48pm
†S°L† Dr. Ben Dover Aug 17 @ 6:48pm 
Originally posted by Silicon Vampire:
Only DRM I've ever had issue with was StarForce, or StarFarce as I liked to call it. FUBARED an OS install and destroyed 2 brand new DVD writers. It did that without any7 warning of installation UNTIL AFTER it had already done so and went sideways. I would have never put the DVD in the drive had I known what it was about to install without my permission.
That sucks man
Silicon Vampire Aug 17 @ 6:51pm 
worst part was, it was a unopened retail game that a friend of mine saw on sale, picked it up and gave it to me. Thought he was being nice... it had no warnings about the particular DRM at all, just a slight hint on "Online Authentication". From a great working computer to a paperweight in less than ten minutes.
FFL2and3rocks Aug 17 @ 7:00pm 
The demo for Silverfall uses Tages DRM. Why does a free demo on Steam need extra DRM?

I downloaded the demo, tried to run it, and got an error because apparently I needed to go to their website and install Tages's drivers. Nope!

Oddly enough, the full game doesn't have Tages. Apparently they removed it some time ago but forgot about the demo.
†S°L† Dr. Ben Dover Aug 17 @ 7:02pm 
Originally posted by FFL2and3rocks:
The demo for Silverfall uses Tages DRM. Why does a free demo on Steam need extra DRM?

I downloaded the demo, tried to run it, and got an error because apparently I needed to go to their website and install Tages's drivers. Nope!

Oddly enough, the full game doesn't have Tages. Apparently they removed it some time ago but forgot about the demo.
and that right there is lazy developer work
Silicon Vampire Aug 17 @ 7:04pm 
Originally posted by †S°L† Chicken Lord:
Originally posted by FFL2and3rocks:

Not sure how you figure. The time a demo is effective for sales is long, long gone. Why pump money into something that isn't really going to get any return?
†S°L† Dr. Ben Dover Aug 17 @ 7:10pm 

Not sure how you figure. The time a demo is effective for sales is long, long gone. Why pump money into something that isn't really going to get any return?
im not sure myself
Malik Blishtar Aug 17 @ 7:50pm 
Ever used GFWL? I have, it's the devil, "Oh, you wanna play your game online? Seperate online only file" And then, "oh, you want your single player save moved to another computer? Well now, you can't use that save on either, good luck"
†S°L† Dr. Ben Dover Aug 17 @ 7:57pm 
Originally posted by Malik Blishtar:
Ever used GFWL? I have, it's the devil, "Oh, you wanna play your game online? Seperate online only file" And then, "oh, you want your single player save moved to another computer? Well now, you can't use that save on either, good luck"
yeah it sucks
I man of ecessive Aug 17 @ 8:01pm 
Steam is the only acceptable DRM.

If you don't understand, you can only play Steam games you own; you can't just zip up the executables and send them to friends if they want to try it.
†S°L† Dr. Ben Dover Aug 17 @ 8:07pm 
Originally posted by Cpl. Shpeck in a tomato suit:
Steam is the only acceptable DRM.

If you don't understand, you can only play Steam games you own; you can't just zip up the executables and send them to friends if they want to try it.
i get what you mean but im talking about games ON STEAM that are DRM steam isnt exactly DRM but if you want to call it that be my guest
Last edited by †S°L† Dr. Ben Dover; Aug 17 @ 8:08pm
I man of ecessive Aug 17 @ 8:08pm 
i get what you mean but im talking about game ON STEAM that are DRM steam isnt exactly DRM but if you want to call it that be my guest
was mainly joking really.

Also, it's a form of DRM, it's just not insanely stupid and wreck-your-♥♥♥♥ like all these others are.
Last edited by I man of ecessive; Aug 17 @ 8:09pm
Ubernerd Lucas Aug 17 @ 9:43pm 
I don't think anyone believes that DRM improves a gamer's experience in any meaningful way. It's about protecting the interests of publishers/developers. (Which is not intrinsically good nor bad.)
Mr. Yoshino Aug 17 @ 10:03pm 
worst part was, it was a unopened retail game that a friend of mine saw on sale, picked it up and gave it to me. Thought he was being nice... it had no warnings about the particular DRM at all, just a slight hint on "Online Authentication". From a great working computer to a paperweight in less than ten minutes.

Gee that really sucks... >_< I'd be pretty upset, I've had my share of dieing computers.
RedLightning Aug 17 @ 10:49pm 
Only DRM I've ever had issue with was StarForce, or StarFarce as I liked to call it. FUBARED an OS install and destroyed 2 brand new DVD writers (over $100 at the time). It did that without any warning of installation UNTIL AFTER it had already done so and went sideways. I would have never put the DVD in the drive had I known what it was about to install without my permission.

Never had any issues with any of the services you mentioned.

I remember I had an early (very expensive) CD writer destroyed by this sorry excuse of a copy-protection. I was livid.. I could just imagine how you felt.

My biggest beef with current copy protection though, is the risk of game un-usability at any given moment. When I moved years ago into a place, my internet connection was supposed to be connected 3 days after I moved. I waited.. no internet. I called them up.. they claimed it was not available in my area..

To make a long story short.. I couldnt play GTAIV al *ALL* that whole time I was without internet. They ended up putting a server in the area cause they lied to me about it being available.. however this kind of thing should not happen with a game that I payed good money for. 49.99 boxed copy at the time.

I know there are varying degrees of copy protection, however when I have owned perhaps thousands of games over my gaming career.. having to cater to each different copy protection is more of a hassle than its worth.

I certainly hope that nothing like Starforce comes out in the future.. however, bowing down and accepting the current systems paves the way for darker methods.

Last edited by RedLightning; Aug 17 @ 10:50pm
Showing 1-15 of 30 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Aug 17 @ 6:37pm