This topic has been locked
Sorez Aug 14, 2014 @ 1:11pm
Old Steam Skin & Old Steam Icon!
I personally despise everything about the new look. The Blue tints everywhere, the squarer design, and worst of all, the brighter grey chat window making the white text harder to read :/

Rant at page 17, in which I flipped out after the store update: http://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/0/35221031536968917/#p17

Credits to Mugsworth and Max for creating and maintaining the skins!

Old UI with Smaller Text and Darker Background!

There are isntructions on how to increase text size in the link itself, for those who don't like the old original size!

Originally posted by Mugsworth:

Preview[files.gamebanana.com]
Download[steam.gamebanana.com]

New Alternative 2013 Skin

This one uses Mugsworth's skin as a base, while also adding in changes. Try this one aswell and see which you prefer.

Originally posted by Max:
Download[www.dropbox.com]

Replacing the New Steam Icon with the Old One!

I have not found a way to replace the tray icon, but I replaced the normal icon!

{LINK REMOVED}

Simply right click the steam at the bottom, then right click the steam in the list itself, then change icon!

Replacing the web browser (Chrome/Firefox) version of steam!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=327664042

NEW VERSION: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=442092873

My thoughts on all of this

First it started with them unnecessarily increasing the chat's font size without giving us a font option, having to resort to skinning it smaller.

Then they remove /me, instead of just making it optional, default turned off, if someone fell for scams that told them to turn it on, they deserve to lose their money.

Then they force all of this horrendous blue on us, making EVERYTHING harder to read, and painful on the eyes, steam itself looks WAY too flat now, which I personally despise, hence why I hate Windows 8/10. AND they changed the tray icon for steam, and now it doesn't change to show when you're downloading games, so unless you have a steam window open, you never know if you're downloading something because it doesn't change to notify you.

Then they changed the profile lights, and ingame text colours to be ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ neon which is NOT easy on the eyes, yet again!

They make these blue which are way too hard on the eyes to read, some text on some of the pages are horrendously harder to read thanks to it. Also don't forget the right click-steam tray menu (for friends, games, etc) which they made the text in it SMALLER for no ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ reason!

And before you ask, I tried a whole week of using it, which ended up only giving me extreme eye-strain, and disgust with how horrible everything looks, I'm sorry, I tried.

I swear, I am so sick of Valve right now, making the worst of decisions. And the worst part is, not even skins can fix the web pages without extremely extensive webpage modding.

If it wasn't for steam skins, I would actually consider quitting steam. (Like any of you care, but just wanted to say that to prove my point) :cfacepalm:
Last edited by Sorez; Jan 2, 2017 @ 5:45am
< >
Showing 1-15 of 649 comments
Punisher Aug 14, 2014 @ 2:30pm 
Are you disliking the new Steam UI? [Fix]
If you are disliking the new Steam UI and wish to revert or change back to the old one we had prior to the update download the following skin of the old Steam UI and go into the following.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\skins or simply source the 'skins' folder which is in your steam folder if your computer is different and drag the files from the skin download which is below. Sadly, the skin will not fix everything, there will be noticable things of the update such as lighting which a skin has no control of, sorry.

http://steam.gamebanana.com/guis/30175

Enjoy!
Last edited by Punisher; Aug 14, 2014 @ 2:36pm
RockoDSS Aug 14, 2014 @ 2:32pm 
I actually really enjoy it. It's been so long since any UI update or rework. But it's cool that they give us the option with the Skins.
Sorez Aug 14, 2014 @ 2:34pm 
Sadly the skin does not fix everything. Would be nice if someone updated it for the lighter-background chat windows :(
Stu Aug 14, 2014 @ 2:34pm 
i can live with the little changes, but one thing has to stay -> the task bar symbol. im looking at that black and white steam symbol for years now, it has to come back.
Punisher Aug 14, 2014 @ 2:34pm 
Originally posted by RockoDSS:
I actually really enjoy it. It's been so long since any UI update or rework. But it's cool that they give us the option with the Skins.

Yes, I agree. However, I am like many people out there who dislike the new UI or skin and if I had it my way I have my steam as the originial 2004 layout as old as I am, but that isn't possible due to the dramatic change of the interface not just the colour/design. I hope this helps people though!
Punisher Aug 14, 2014 @ 2:35pm 
Originally posted by Sturmgeist MD:
i can live with the little changes, but one thing has to stay -> the task bar symbol. im looking at that black and white steam symbol for years now, it has to come back.

I agree. I am currently as I type this looking for a solution, If I do find one I will post it on this thread.
My only complaint (so far) is about the tray icon not changing to show a download is running. That's the one feature I truly miss.
Punisher Aug 14, 2014 @ 2:40pm 
Originally posted by Frank Garrett:
My only complaint (so far) is about the tray icon not changing to show a download is running. That's the one feature I truly miss.

Sorry, but a skin can only do so much.
Sorez Aug 14, 2014 @ 2:41pm 
If you could, could you update the guy's skin so it's fully correct? Like my chat box background is a lighter grey instead of the old black to grey gradient.
Last edited by Sorez; Aug 14, 2014 @ 2:42pm
Lonesome 77 Aug 14, 2014 @ 2:53pm 
I don't see that it changed the aesthetics all that much so I have no problesm with what they did; though I haven't been using steam for as long as some. The icon's pretty different true, but otherwise it seems pretty subtle.
Last edited by Lonesome 77; Aug 14, 2014 @ 2:53pm
Charlie Aug 14, 2014 @ 2:54pm 
God no, I love the new Steam UI. It looks better; the old one looked outdated and had been the same for years. This is a vast improvement.
Pigleteore Aug 14, 2014 @ 2:55pm 
It has messed up my games too, saying that I have to enable steam overlay, ♥♥♥♥♥? i've had that forever and now with the update its jank. Fix or revert please
Sorez Aug 14, 2014 @ 2:56pm 
Originally posted by GhostMotleyX:
God no, I love the new Steam UI. It looks better; the old one looked outdated and had been the same for years. This is a vast improvement.

Thats just your opinion. Not everyone likes this minimilistic-style SUPER BLUE look.
Lonesome 77 Aug 14, 2014 @ 2:59pm 
Originally posted by Sorez:
Originally posted by GhostMotleyX:

Thats just your opinion. Not everyone likes this minimilistic-style SUPER BLUE look.

Super blue? Where?

Last edited by Lonesome 77; Aug 14, 2014 @ 3:00pm
Lonesome 77 Aug 14, 2014 @ 3:26pm 
Overreaction.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 649 comments
Per page: 1530 50

Date Posted: Aug 14, 2014 @ 1:11pm