Malabolga Sep 1, 2016 @ 9:25pm
Early Access Games Charging for DLC?
So what's the policy on a Steam title in early access charging for DLC when the game is not complete?
How does the community feel about this?
The title I am reffering to is Wildcards Ark: Survial Evolved and its DLC Scorched Earth.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 453 comments
ForceLima Sep 1, 2016 @ 9:34pm 
this is a very good question.
Yuuta Sep 1, 2016 @ 11:49pm 
I think it's funny. Though microtransactions in Early Access games is hilarious.
Wouldn't it make more sense to concentrate on actually releasing the game instead of making additional content (which are DLCs supposed to be, I believe) for an incomplete game?
Last edited by Yuuta; Sep 1, 2016 @ 11:51pm
drimziata Sep 2, 2016 @ 12:11am 
I paid for ARK and now i have an unreleased and incomplete game unless pay 20 more euros
Great!
Obviously the developers needed the cash. The DLC in my country (Germany) costs actually more than the base game. On the other hand looking at the play time some people have (1000 hrs +) the base game plus DLC is still not overpriced.
Wildcard is not the first developer who offered DLC while the base game was still in EA.
Funny as it may sound the probability that the game gets completed may be higher now if
they get additional funding.
I am aware that my opinion will not be very popular and I would have preferred a complete
game before they release DLC but not all is black and white in life.
Last edited by 𝕙.𝕓𝕒𝕣𝕜𝕒𝕤; Sep 2, 2016 @ 2:02am
Ogami Sep 2, 2016 @ 1:26am 
There are no special rules for EA games exept you buy what you see at the moment you buy it and there is no gurantee that the game will ever be releases finished. Also system requirements and game content may change over time. Thats it.
For all other purposes the game gets treated like every other release so DLC are completely legal.
Washell Sep 2, 2016 @ 6:10am 
Day -200 DLC, that's a neat trick...
Start_Running Sep 2, 2016 @ 6:14am 
Originally posted by Washell:
Day -200 DLC, that's a neat trick...

Actually it's perfectly reasonable. I suppose this is there way of partitioning features and deciding which featureb sets to prioritize.. Not sure if it's worth the manpower and money to work on a particular set of content. Put it up as DLC and that will be your guide.
Tux Sep 2, 2016 @ 6:16am 
Originally posted by Malabolga:
So what's the policy on a Steam title in early access charging for DLC when the game is not complete?
How does the community feel about this?
The title I am reffering to is Wildcards Ark: Survial Evolved and its DLC Scorched Earth.

I personally think DLC for early access title is asinine HOWEVER, if one wants to buy DLC for Early Access and they know they are buying a DLC for an early access I fail to see how we should restrict those consumers from doing what they want
Washell Sep 2, 2016 @ 6:24am 
Originally posted by Start_Running:
Actually it's perfectly reasonable.
Intellectually I can understand the reasons and grasp the fact that it's more likely to lead to a properly finished product. Emotionally... it just feels horribly wrong.

Then again, I have no horse in this race because I don't buy Early Access titles anyway and only got KSP while in EA as a gift from a friend. This step certainly doesn't endear me any further to the concept.
Last edited by Washell; Sep 2, 2016 @ 6:24am
Start_Running Sep 2, 2016 @ 6:31am 
Actually it's perfectly reasonable.
Intellectually I can understand the reasons and grasp the fact that it's more likely to lead to a properly finished product. Emotionally... it just feels horribly wrong.

Then again, I have no horse in this race because I don't buy Early Access titles anyway and only got KSP while in EA as a gift from a friend. This step certainly doesn't endear me any further to the concept.
Neither do I firend. I have too many finished games on my wishlist for that. Also this is why it's good to disregard emotional responses. They are usually shortsighted if not blind and based on sketchy data to begin with.. I have no problem with it and if they can sell people dlc to an incomplete fgame. More power to them and those than enjoy the product.
Tux Sep 2, 2016 @ 6:39am 

Neither do I firend. I have too many finished games on my wishlist for that. Also this is why it's good to disregard emotional responses. They are usually shortsighted if not blind and based on sketchy data to begin with.. I have no problem with it and if they can sell people dlc to an incomplete fgame. More power to them and those than enjoy the product.

this is all under the assumption that all consumers without exception want a game to be finished. I for example do not. or rather do not care either way.

If people want to spend money on something that is seemingly ridiculous but does not affect health and safety then in my mind a good solid case has to be made as to why it should not be for sale. its not healthy to try and dictate to others what they can and can not purchase.

that is my view
ShadoW Sep 2, 2016 @ 6:48am 
good question

Start_Running Sep 2, 2016 @ 6:58am 
My vuiew has always been. If you're willing to spend your money on it. then it must be something you want.
Spawn of Totoro Sep 2, 2016 @ 7:08am 
I've got two copies of ARK already. One for me, one for my wife.

Though I personaly do not agree with DLC for an Early Access Game (or microtransaction) it is their decision to make and their user base that decides if it is worth it.

I won't be buying the DLC until ARK is released and on a discount (Though that is because I am cheap with games), but it looks like there are many others who are willing to do so and have already done so.

They are not the first to have DLC before release, nor are they likely to be the last.

I do not think Valve has any rules against the release of DLC during EAG since, as I said before, others have done it previously.
Tux Sep 2, 2016 @ 7:42am 
My vuiew has always been. If you're willing to spend your money on it. then it must be something you want.

seems very reasonable
< >
Showing 1-15 of 453 comments
Per page: 1530 50

Date Posted: Sep 1, 2016 @ 9:25pm