Random Apr 23, 2013 @ 1:12pm
How to play Codename Gordon in real 1080p (or any resolution) by extracting the .swf file (video example)
As most of you know, the game normally runs in a low 4:3 resolution. However, we all know that this is a flash game, so there's got to be a way to play it in a flash player. Well, guess what? I found that the entire .swf is stored in memory when you play the game. Using HxD, I extracted it and saved it as a file. It works perfectly fine in the browser or the standalone flash player. I simply fullscreened it, and recorded it using Dxtory (make sure to watch it on YouTube so you can get a fullscreen 1080p experience):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uC5jSMdHPEQ

Clearly, most of the graphics are raster, so they're going to have pixelation. But things like text and light beams are vector, and when you watch in 1080p you'll see how much better it looks than any other video on YouTube. Most people seem to either upload it at the original resolution (which causes YouTube to do a low quality encode), or use blurry upscaling (Or worst, stretching. Ugh!) to get it to 1080p before uploading. Not in this case. I simply rendered it out in Sony Vegas and uploaded the file straight to YouTube, no scaling or anything done.

I could put up a full tutorial on how to do this yourself, but it’s really quite simple. I actually used Hex Workshop as well. I first used HxD to dump the program’s memory, then Hex Workshop to scan for the bytes that make up a .swf file (FWS are the first three, as specified in this PDF file[wwwimages.adobe.com]). Skipping the version identifier byte after that is a 32-bit value (I think) that indicates how long the file is. I simply selected that length starting from the FWS, copied it into a new file, and saved it. There were a few duds in the RAM, but the main flash file itself was 44.1 MB (46,298,111 bytes).

There’s probably a better way of extracting it, but all the tools for this that I tried failed. This method also worked for The Binding of Isaac, by the way. Anyway, enjoy all that a .swf has to offer, including the ability to extract resources from it or mod the game using flash de-compilers, or even running on different platforms like Mac OS or Linux. But that’s out of my hands – I’m simply putting the information out there on how to get the most out of this awesome game. Have fun.

P.S. I am NOT going to post the file here, and you shouldn't either. If it were legal, I'd have put a link to it, but I am not at all condoning copyright infringement. You should do this if you downloaded the game yourself.
Last edited by Random; Apr 23, 2013 @ 1:13pm
Showing 1-12 of 12 comments
< >
ds6 Apr 28, 2013 @ 11:47pm 
Sexy.
carltron Jul 22, 2013 @ 1:05pm 
How is it copyright infringement if the game is already free?

In any case, nice work.
Random Jul 22, 2013 @ 1:08pm 
Originally posted by Heartless Perry:
How is it copyright infringement if the game is already free?

In any case, nice work.

It contains copyrighted material including sounds and graphics. It may be free, but it wasn't released under the creative commons license or anything.
ds6 Aug 19, 2013 @ 4:48pm 
You should try proofreading your posts, Dragoon, just a note.
In the U.S. and some other countries, everything someone makes is automatically protected under copyright law, even if you don't file for copyrights/trademarks/etc. I'm pretty sure that they would have applied for such anyway.
What does it being made by "a guy and some other guy" have anything to do with it not being released under a Creative Commons license? If anything, I would think that a big corperation would have rather released their product under some restrictive intellectual property license and not something like CC.
You can be charged with infringement only when someone of authority notices, doesn't matter if it's the owners or not (though, if not, they'll inform the owners of course) and usually these cases go in favor of the government, so you're right there.
osnik Feb 3 @ 11:58pm 
Well...how can I extract the Flash File?
Random Feb 4 @ 4:45pm 
Originally posted by osnik:
Well...how can I extract the Flash File?

I explained briefly in the third paragraph how to do this, but it's pretty hard to do based on how I explained it.

Luckily, I found another way. When the game starts, it creates a temporary EXE file called codenamegordon.exe. This file, when opened, runs the game in a window which can be enlarged, maximized, or made borderless fullscreen using special, easily found software. However, codenamegordon.exe is placed in a randomly named folder in %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Temp, and is deleted when the game closes. Since you can't see anything when you alt-tab from Codename Gordon, it would seem that you wouldn't be able to easily stop the file from being removed. But I found a way to get it with no trouble.

All you have to do is open two Windows Explorer windows. Navigate one window to %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Temp (just paste that in the address bar), and the other to a new empty folder which can be called anything. It's best if the temp folder has as little in it as possible. Just delete everything in it and it'll only keep the files that are actively being used. Since this folder contains only temporary files, there's nothing important in it that you might accidentally delete. Now comes the fun part.

Start Codename Gordon, and use alt-tab to select the window with the temp folder. You'll see the alt-tab menu, but the game will cover up everything else. Now, press Control-A to select all the files in the temp folder, Control-C to copy them, and then use alt-tab to select the window with the new folder you created before starting the game. Press Control-V to paste them into this folder. Exit the game, and then look in the previously blank folder you made. There will probably be some other junk in it, but just search for codenamegordon.exe and then copy this file anywhere. The language XML files may need to be in the same directory if you want to switch the language to something else.

I hope this was easy to follow. It's frustrating, but keep in mind that this game is over ten years old at this point, so it does require some archaic methods to work with.
osnik Feb 5 @ 12:05am 
Originally posted by carltron:
How is it copyright infringement if the game is already free?
If you haven't noticed on the menu it says "(c) 2004 Valve, the Valve logo and Valve software (or something like that) are trademarked by Valve
Nuclear Vison, and the Nuclear Vision logo are trademarked by Nuclear Vision"

Now coming to the last post

Originally posted by Random:
Originally posted by osnik:
Well...how can I extract the Flash File?

I explained briefly in the third paragraph how to do this, but it's pretty hard to do based on how I explained it.

Luckily, I found another way. When the game starts, it creates a temporary EXE file called codenamegordon.exe. This file, when opened, runs the game in a window which can be enlarged, maximized, or made borderless fullscreen using special, easily found software. However, codenamegordon.exe is placed in a randomly named folder in %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Temp, and is deleted when the game closes. Since you can't see anything when you alt-tab from Codename Gordon, it would seem that you wouldn't be able to easily stop the file from being removed. But I found a way to get it with no trouble.

All you have to do is open two Windows Explorer windows. Navigate one window to %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Temp (just paste that in the address bar), and the other to a new empty folder which can be called anything. It's best if the temp folder has as little in it as possible. Just delete everything in it and it'll only keep the files that are actively being used. Since this folder contains only temporary files, there's nothing important in it that you might accidentally delete. Now comes the fun part.

Start Codename Gordon, and use alt-tab to select the window with the temp folder. You'll see the alt-tab menu, but the game will cover up everything else. Now, press Control-A to select all the files in the temp folder, Control-C to copy them, and then use alt-tab to select the window with the new folder you created before starting the game. Press Control-V to paste them into this folder. Exit the game, and then look in the previously blank folder you made. There will probably be some other junk in it, but just search for codenamegordon.exe and then copy this file anywhere. The language XML files may need to be in the same directory if you want to switch the language to something else.

I hope this was easy to follow. It's frustrating, but keep in mind that this game is over ten years old at this point, so it does require some archaic methods to work with.

I named the empty Folder "Codename Gorden" and put it on my secondry Hard-Drive. FAILED!
Put it on my main Drive (Desktop) FAILED!
Going to try it with "BIG SCREEN"
osnik Feb 5 @ 12:18am 
It WORKED!!! Thank YOU! Now I find it funny that the Zombies & Enimies are called "undefined" as well as the diolog. Although the game is EVEN MORE LAGY it's very good!
Last edited by osnik; Feb 5 @ 12:37am
osnik Apr 1 @ 12:56am 
Found a way of seeing what you're doing, in Codename: Gorden!

1. Open Steam Library
2. Start it with Steam Library
3. Press Alt+Tab & Navigate to Steam, then Desktop, if it didn't work try Desktop, Steam, Desktop.
4. Open Windows Explorer
5. Navigate to %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Temp
6. Search for: codenamegordon.exe
7. Copy that to a place where you can find it (e.g. Desktop, Secondry Hard-Drive)
8. Close C:G and Start codenamegordon.exe
9. Maximiize & Play

This is a Variation of the previous post made by "Random".

I wish you could play Multiplayer, and make it less laggy!
osnik Apr 1 @ 12:58am 
PS: You can start Programms too! (but I would only start Programms that don't take alot of Memory!)
ds6 Apr 1 @ 2:02am 
Originally posted by osnik:
I wish you could play Multiplayer, and make it less laggy!
THE COMPANY THAT MADE THIS GAME WENT OUT OF BUSINESS BEFORE STEAM DISCUSSIONS EVEN EXISTED.
osnik Apr 1 @ 3:12am 
Originally posted by Can't Handle My Dunks:
Originally posted by osnik:
I wish you could play Multiplayer, and make it less laggy!
THE COMPANY THAT MADE THIS GAME WENT OUT OF BUSINESS BEFORE STEAM DISCUSSIONS EVEN EXISTED.
I know, NuclearVision went Bankrupt, for a game that was SUPERB!!! Unbelievable!
Showing 1-12 of 12 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50