Dead Island had a good potential, but it was ruined by countless minor faults:
- ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ NPC characters; it's like they had used Jersey Shore for character reference;
- Poor, boring, almost non-existent storyline, irrelevant dialogues;
- So stereotypical accents, it's almost ethnical discrimination;
- Complicated menu; weird default controller layout; shortage on hints about which button to press;
- Some settings reset on each next game launch;
- It's not always possible to join your friend's session or vice versa;
- Repetitive misions ala go from point A to B and tell this or find that;
- Lack of balance between weapons (too weak, too slow, too expensive, too non-durable) and zombies (too fast, too strong, too many)
- Misleading mini-map and quest tracking
- Too fast zombie respawning
- Often zombies attack from behind or sides, and there's no way to prepare for that, as they appear out of nowhere (or atleast out of your FOV)
- When your health is low, half of the FOV is red
- When you drive a car, half of your FOV is blocked by the windshield frame
On the bright side, this game has nice visuals and offers a pretty nice skill tree, but that's just not enough.
When I added this game to my library, I was expecting an intensive, fast-paced hack'n'slash zombie experience (like playing as Berserker in Killing Floor) with some RPG elements and good story (like Borderlands), but what I got instead was mind-numbing, repetitive, cash and reward hunting with irritating combat experience.
But don't take only my word for it. Here's a “professional” review that addresses the same issues:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0guq30tIfaI
I can only recommend this game for someone, who only wants to kill some time with friends in a pretty, yet dull co-op zombie killing game and who does not care about lack of balanced gradual game progress, that should be freshening-up your gameplay.
My overall rating 6/10.