DOOM 3 > General Discussions > Topic Details
PepticSolid14 Aug 30, 2014 @ 7:20pm
Audio of EAX 4.0 effects?
What does the eax 4.0 do for audio other than make everything echo?

Is it better to have it on or off? These are just simple questions to get the best expierience from DOOM 3.
Last edited by PepticSolid14; Aug 30, 2014 @ 7:20pm
Showing 1-15 of 15 comments
< >
spessu_sb Sep 3, 2014 @ 1:17am 
EAX Advanced HD 4.0 brings this game to life.

DOOM 3 (EAX)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99KXNja1s9k

DOOM 3 (no EAX)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjg_CKFpxUU

EAX Advanced HD also has more advanced features than echos and reverb effects (which alone already bring this game to lfe)

------------------------------------------------------------------
quote from what EAX Advanced HD has:

"EAX 3.0

EAX 3.0 is supported by E-mu 10K-based products such as the Sound Blaster Audigy

64 simultaneous voices processable in hardware
'Smoothing' between 3D audio environments
Direct access to all reverb parameters
Environmental Panning
New reverb engine
Beginning of the AdvancedHD Designation from new reverb engine

EAX 4.0

EAX 4.0 is supported by Sound Blaster Audigy 2 and the X-Fi Xtreme Audio sound cards.

Real-time hardware effects
Multiple simultaneous environments
Flanger
Echo
Distortion
Ring modulation effects
"
McSwifty Sep 6, 2014 @ 4:22pm 
It really comes down to preference. I never found jthe default stereo sound in Doom 3 to be particularly lacking, but the added reverb and improved positional cues of EAX can certainly make the game feel more immersive. Same goes for really any game that supports it; I'm a huge proponent of EAX in general and I wish more games supported it.

Despite that, I still keep it disabled in Doom 3, only because when it's active it causes some sort of weird graphical glitch in certain levels whenever the the screen "shakes" from explosions and such. I have no idea why it does it only with EAX enabled, but it's really distracting and it doesn't happen at all in regular stereo mode. Never been able to find a fix for it... but some people apparently don't even notice it at all, so YMMV.
spessu_sb Sep 6, 2014 @ 4:33pm 
Originally posted by McSwifty:
It really comes down to preference. I never found jthe default stereo sound in Doom 3 to be particularly lacking, but the added reverb and improved positional cues of EAX can certainly make the game feel more immersive. Same goes for really any game that supports it; I'm a huge proponent of EAX in general and I wish more games supported it.

Despite that, I still keep it disabled in Doom 3, only because when it's active it causes some sort of weird graphical glitch in certain levels whenever the the screen "shakes" from explosions and such. I have no idea why it does it only with EAX enabled, but it's really distracting and it doesn't happen at all in regular stereo mode. Never been able to find a fix for it... but some people apparently don't even notice it at all, so YMMV.

I dont have this issue and i play on Stereo setting and have a EAX 4.0 capable soundcard. Audigy 2 ZS. What soundcard are you running? Please dont say you own an Asus Xonar series card because Asus cannot emulate EAX really much at all. DOOM 3 forexample doesn't even accept it. If you enable EAX with Xonar on DOOM 3, it requires you the restart it. As soon as you have restarted the game, it has also disabled EAX in it :D This happens because DOOM 3 does not detect a EAX Advanced HD capable soundcard in your system.
McSwifty Sep 6, 2014 @ 8:04pm 
Originally posted by spessu_sb:
I dont have this issue and i play on Stereo setting and have a EAX 4.0 capable soundcard. Audigy 2 ZS. What soundcard are you running? Please dont say you own an Asus Xonar series card because Asus cannot emulate EAX really much at all. DOOM 3 forexample doesn't even accept it. If you enable EAX with Xonar on DOOM 3, it requires you the restart it. As soon as you have restarted the game, it has also disabled EAX in it :D This happens because DOOM 3 does not detect a EAX Advanced HD capable soundcard in your system.

I've never owned a sound card from any other manufacturer besides Creative. Current setup with an X-Fi Titanium, but the issue has persisted across multiple setups, all with various Creative sound cards, even going all the way back to when the Doom 3 retail 1.3.1 patch that introduced EAX support was "bundled" into the driver install disk that came with new X-Fi series cards! (I still have one that came with an X-Fi Xtreme Music, lol)

To be more specific about the glitch I'm talking about... it doesn't matter if you have an EAX-capable card or not. The problem only presents itself when EAX is enabled, and basically whenever there's an environmental screen shake (like from distant explosions in Mars City after the invasion), often times there will be what seems to be a single frame that just doesn't line up with others for just a split second. Like your whole screen shifts just for one single frame. It's so difficult to describe... but actually I remember a lot of people had the same issue back in the day.

I have no idea why enabling EAX causes it, but it's obviously not hardware related since even just disabling it in-game solves the issue. I do know there were a lot of people that had the same issue years ago, so it's not just me; unfortunately, I don't recall a fix ever being found aside from just not using EAX :(
McSwifty Sep 6, 2014 @ 8:31pm 
Just adding a quick video of what I'm talking about. Sorry if it's crap quality; just did a quick clip with FRAPS on my old WinXp install since I still have the game installed there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EqCWZJsgf8&feature=youtu.be

See the weird twitching at 0:07, 0:12, 0:25, and especially at 0:28 in this clip? That's what I'm talking about.

It's been plaguing me for years, so if you know of a way to make that not happen, I would be forever in your debt.
Last edited by McSwifty; Sep 6, 2014 @ 8:35pm
pulse_ Jan 9 @ 8:00am 
the srceen shake comes from wrong audio driver
SBA2_BETADRV_US_2_05_0000.exe BETA DRIVER---use this
or use the latest unofficial driver (which is better in every way anyway)
McSwifty Jan 12 @ 11:43am 
Originally posted by Faultron:
the srceen shake comes from wrong audio driver
SBA2_BETADRV_US_2_05_0000.exe BETA DRIVER---use this
or use the latest unofficial driver (which is better in every way anyway)

Which "unofficial driver" would you recommend? I've tried both the latest official drivers for the X-Fi series, as well as daniel_k's unofficial X-Fi Support Packs, versions 2.5 and 3.0a. None of them solves this issue for me.

The beta driver you recommended does appear to help many people from what I've read, unfortunately I do not have an Audigy series sound card so it's not a viable option for me. In fact, it won't even install on my system. I'm sure there's a way to force it, but honestly I'm a bit reluctant to roll back to such an old driver version, meant for an even older sound card than what I have, just to solve a minor graphical glitch in one game.

Still, I do appreciate the suggestion! Hopefully it helps someone else.


spessu_sb Jan 12 @ 12:24pm 
Originally posted by McSwifty:
Originally posted by Faultron:
the srceen shake comes from wrong audio driver
SBA2_BETADRV_US_2_05_0000.exe BETA DRIVER---use this
or use the latest unofficial driver (which is better in every way anyway)

Which "unofficial driver" would you recommend? I've tried both the latest official drivers for the X-Fi series, as well as daniel_k's unofficial X-Fi Support Packs, versions 2.5 and 3.0a. None of them solves this issue for me.

The beta driver you recommended does appear to help many people from what I've read, unfortunately I do not have an Audigy series sound card so it's not a viable option for me. In fact, it won't even install on my system. I'm sure there's a way to force it, but honestly I'm a bit reluctant to roll back to such an old driver version, meant for an even older sound card than what I have, just to solve a minor graphical glitch in one game.

Still, I do appreciate the suggestion! Hopefully it helps someone else.

I have an Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum and i use the kawakami one. I get absolutely no problems in Quake 4 or DOOM 3 (EAX Advanced HD games)
McSwifty Jan 12 @ 2:33pm 
Originally posted by spessu_sb:
I have an Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum and i use the kawakami one. I get absolutely no problems in Quake 4 or DOOM 3 (EAX Advanced HD games)

Yeah, doesn't work with the X-Fi though. The issue persists.

Never had any problems with EAX on Quake 4, only Doom 3.
pulse_ Jan 13 @ 7:52pm 
i use pax drivers
McSwifty Jan 16 @ 7:20am 
Originally posted by Faultron:
i use pax drivers

I don't really care for those. I don't like that they actually change the sound profile, and they can be a real pain to un-install. Not to mention the creator was busted for literally making up "ini tweaks" that he claimed improve sound quality that, in reality, do nothing.

The daniel_k drivers on the other hand, are lean and clean. Basically just standard driver sets with better compatibility and some features enabled that would otherwise be unavailable on certain hardware. There are no sound quality "enhancements."
pulse_ Jan 17 @ 11:52am 
lol...
did you tried SBA2_BETADRV_US_2_05_0000.exe BETA DRIVER ? (official,not latest)

i tried out daniel_k drivers but it was bad for games
McSwifty Jan 17 @ 7:17pm 
Nope. Like I said, that driver won't even install because it is for Audigy 2, not X-Fi.

What was it that you didn't like about the daniel_k drivers for gaming?
spessu_sb Jan 17 @ 7:26pm 
I don't understand this but surely if you got an X-Fi, you could just use the creative one..

I used to have an X-Fi card (Fatal1ty Pro to be exact) and it worked just fine.

Hope you get that thing solved.
McSwifty Jan 17 @ 8:11pm 
I know this thread has been going on for months so some of this has probably been forgotten, but I already explained that none of the official Creative drivers ever addressed this problem, even going back to... what, 2005?... when the EAX patch was released for the game.

Originally posted by Me:
I've never owned a sound card from any other manufacturer besides Creative. Current setup with an X-Fi Titanium, but the issue has persisted across multiple setups, all with various Creative sound cards, even going all the way back to when the Doom 3 retail 1.3.1 patch that introduced EAX support was "bundled" into the driver install disk that came with new X-Fi series cards! (I still have one that came with an X-Fi Xtreme Music, lol)

Back then, there were other people that reported having the same problem I have with the glitchy screen in Doom 3, but I don't recall anyone ever coming across a solution for X-Fi series cards. Personally, I tried numerous different driver versions since then and nothing ever worked. Official and unofficial (including the aforementioned PAX at one time).

I started using daniel_k drivers for compaitiblity reasons after Win7 came out, and haven't found any real appreciable difference between them and the latest official ones, apart from the fact that they come with Win7/8.1-compatible versions of all the Creative software bundled together in one install, instead of having to download all that stuff seperately (if it's even still available at all).

Apart from this one issue in this one game, I've never had any problems with any of my X-Fi sound cards, either with the daniel_k drivers or any of the official ones. That's kind of why I said earlier that I'm reluctant to install a beta driver for a completely different sound card just to potentially fix one bug in one game; because who knows what other issues that might cause in the process?

I do still appreciate the responses though, guys. Hope I don't sound ingrateful for the help.
Last edited by McSwifty; Jan 17 @ 8:14pm
Showing 1-15 of 15 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50