I just wanted to provide some basic feedback on how this game runs on Ubuntu via Crossover 13 from Codeweavers. This post is for the ppl already using or interested in using Linux for gaming. At the same time, I'd also like to point out that while I'd prefer a native version of this title via the new and shiny Steam Linux client, it does run perfectly fine via Crossover. In fact, a lot of my games run just as fast or even faster in Crossover than the native Windows counterpart. Yeah, big surprise, I didn't expect that either. Just like on Windows, most of the time you have to be sure certain things are configured correctly to achieve optimal results.
OS, HARDWARE AND PERFORMANCE:
- Ubuntu 12.04.3 LTS 64-bit
- All OS updates applied
- Toshiba Satellite L750-16W
- Nvidia 319 proprietary drivers installed by Ubuntu
- 40 to 60 fps in almost all situations, medium settings
- Installed Steam via the officially supported and preconfigured Steam "bottle" in Crossover.
- Downloaded and installed the game via Steam in the new Steam bottle.
- Done, no manual config needed. Launched the game afterwards.
- No issues whatsoever. Everything is working as expected.
THINGS TO KEEP IN MIND & TIPS:
- If you are going to use Ubuntu, I highly recommend you stick to the longterm and extremly stable LTS releases, because these are meant for mainstream adaptation. The other "stable" versions are meant for advanced users or for ppl that want to contribute to Ubuntu in some form.
- Please note: As of this writing, you will need to download and manually install the .bin version of Crossover 13 for Ubuntu 12.04.3 LTS. The automated installation of the .deb version of Crossover 13 will not work on this version of the OS. See here for instructions on how to install the .bin version: http://www.codeweavers.com/support/wiki/linux/linuxtutorial/install
- Make sure you have all the important and recommended dependencies installed. After Crossover 13 is installed, you can check for missing dependencies by running the following command in a terminal: ~/cxoffice/bin/cxdiag
This will list any libraries that are missing that Crossover may need. You can then install them using the guides available here: http://www.codeweavers.com/support/wiki/diag
- If you are installing a game via Steam: I recommend that you create and use a fresh Steam bottle per game. It's better this way, as you can optimize a game to achieve optimal results, without messing up anything else in the same bottle. It's an isolated environment.
- Don't trust old or negative rankings of an application on the Codeweavers website. Try it out yourself first. I have been able to run stuff ranked as "not working" just fine. Just like on Windows, every system is different, resulting in different experiences.
- Before you buy: Try out the demo of Crossover with the application you intend to run. For more information and help visit: http://www.codeweavers.com/support/wiki/linux
Please note: You use this information at your own risk. I am posting this just to help out my fellow gamers here on Steam. I support, use and prefer the native Steam client and games in every way, but there are a few games that I wish to play on Ubuntu, which, unfortunately, aren't available yet. Crossover is a nice work around for that kind of situation.
Thanks for reading, have fun and save the whales!