Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel Feb 18, 2013 @ 2:51am
A SERIOUS REQUEST TO VALVE!
Valve, for the love of gawd and all things holy, PLEASE do NOT update Counter-Strike: Condition Zero, Counter-Strike: Condition Zero Deleted Scenes, or Day of Defeat!

Absolutely NOTHING... NO "new content" delivery system, NO "SteamPipe" format or installation, NO GoldSource engine updates, NO "updates" to the graphics renderers or audio support (e.g. removing the D3D renderer, or EAX 4-channel surround-sound support), NO moving the files and directories structure all over the place, and NO updates to the games themselves.

PLEASE, *NO* UPDATES!


(EDIT/"UPDATE") Oh freakin' well................
Last edited by Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel; Mar 6, 2013 @ 8:56pm
Showing 1-15 of 41 comments
< >
Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel Feb 22, 2013 @ 5:45am 
JUST AS I THOUGHT, Condition Zero NOW is getting the same SCREWED UP treatment!

http://steamcommunity.com/games/80/announcements/detail/1731903282520226702

Oh well freakin' ... :(
tehmal Feb 22, 2013 @ 7:30am 
Why not? if technology allow to do this gamme beeter.....
Valve ports games for Linux/Mac OS must move D3D to OGL... and... 90% code are rewrited from ~13 years old technology, to present time technology.
That caoused that Linux Mac = OGL.
D3D in HL1 is code from 13 years ago..., code in HL1 Linux/Mac is from present times OGL ( propably its OGL 1.3) its mean that code in Mac/Linux version is newest... in WIndows D3D is too old, and code also was moved to OGL at Windows.
So they purge D3D from GoldSrc support. For me Valve do good.

Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel Feb 22, 2013 @ 7:57am 
Originally posted by suore:
Why not? if technology allow to do this gamme beeter.....
Valve ports games for Linux/Mac OS must move D3D to OGL... and... 90% code are rewrited from ~13 years old technology, to present time technology.
That caoused that Linux Mac = OGL.
D3D in HL1 is code from 13 years ago..., code in HL1 Linux/Mac is from present times OGL ( propably its OGL 1.3) its mean that code in Mac/Linux version is newest... in WIndows D3D is too old, and code also was moved to OGL at Windows.
So they purge D3D from GoldSrc support. For me Valve do good.

Well, you're in the minority (check the CAZILLIONS of messages of folks having problems with the current cluster-frick of Half-Life and Counter-Strike 1.6).

Not to mention... the Direct3D renderer, EAX 4-channel surround-support, as well as the GCF delievery format has worked JUST FINE for years.

No use in totally SCREWING UP things that have worked JUST FINE for literally YEARS!

And, of course, one cannot DEMAND THEIR HARD-EARNED CASH BACK when their game(s) NO longer function as they should.


P.S. I myself cannot even do the update to CS16 or CZ:CZ... as after the whole freaking mess is done "updating", I get the error message "The following games need to be updated in order to run" "CS/CS:CZ": Half-Life.

Which I CAN *NOT* DO, as I don't actually OWN Half-Life (even though it is required by CS/CS:CZ/CS:CZ-DS/DoD)! Oh well... guess I'm totally fu#$ed... money TOTALLY wasted (or rather, GIVEN TO Valve)!
tehmal Feb 22, 2013 @ 8:25am 
Always you can select option " Dont update this game "
カンムル #Stagnated Feb 22, 2013 @ 12:12pm 
Nvm, haters gonna hate.

1st: the mistakes valve did, they admited and they are already fixed in the latest beta, they just need to released after make sure it's everything okay, therefore you just have to wait but as always 1.6 community, can be worse than cod community which is almost impossible.
2nd: If you actually read what they said, most of the sound codecs are deprecated, there is not support for it in the current systems neither in the latest versions of Windows XP, so it doens't do anything. Also D3D support it's also giving problems in terms of rendering, and most of people doesn't even use it. Now they are mad because most of players used 16 bits, just for take advantage and they removed that.
EDIT: GCF Actually had some problems and it's quite limited nowadays, same applies to the old hldsupdatetool (that uses GCF), good they implemented steamcmd (steam pipe)
But for those people that only play play play and doesn't actually read what is around about their game, those never noticed.

Originally posted by suore:
Why not? if technology allow to do this gamme beeter.....
Valve ports games for Linux/Mac OS must move D3D to OGL... and... 90% code are rewrited from ~13 years old technology, to present time technology.
That caoused that Linux Mac = OGL.
D3D in HL1 is code from 13 years ago..., code in HL1 Linux/Mac is from present times OGL ( propably its OGL 1.3) its mean that code in Mac/Linux version is newest... in WIndows D3D is too old, and code also was moved to OGL at Windows.
So they purge D3D from GoldSrc support. For me Valve do good.

Anyway, Suore, I completly agree with you +rep.
Valve is doing a good job, they also implemented new things in a 13 years old game, no one else does that, and to be honest I feel like playing more and more like this way.


Oh, also they updated their master servers etc, so you don't see any more fake servers like before.
Conclusion: this update only has ADVANTAGES! (not for haters of course)
salamander Feb 22, 2013 @ 2:20pm 
Someone knows if the new steampipe versions of the games are compatible with windows XP?
I can't play CS1.6 or half-life anymore because of the new updates, they just crash when i start them.
カンムル #Stagnated Feb 22, 2013 @ 3:56pm 
Originally posted by GatoNegro:
Someone knows if the new steampipe versions of the games are compatible with windows XP?
I can't play CS1.6 or half-life anymore because of the new updates, they just crash when i start them.
Yes they should be 100% compatible. If you having problem try to re-install if doesn't help, try to updatee your video graphs driver if not report to valve.
Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel Feb 22, 2013 @ 11:58pm 
Originally posted by ゆう:
If you having problem try to re-install if doesn't help, try to updatee your video graphs driver if not report to valve.

The USUAL plethora of so-called Valve/Steam "fixes" that have been copy and pasted a million times in the past (that have NO effect whatsoever with fixing said problem(s)).
Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel Feb 23, 2013 @ 12:00am 
Originally posted by suore:
Always you can select option " Dont update this game "

That dropdown box is grayed out, and 'stuck' on "Do not automatically update this game" (it can not be clicked on, or changed). So... if I CANNOT update Half-Life, how can I play the game(s) (CS/CS:CZ)?
Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel Feb 23, 2013 @ 12:03am 
Originally posted by ゆう:
2nd: If you actually read what they said, most of the sound codecs are deprecated, there is not support for it in the current systems neither in the latest versions of Windows XP, so it doens't do anything. Also D3D support it's also giving problems in terms of rendering, and most of people doesn't even use it.

EAX, A3D, and D3D worked just FINE on my Windows XP SP3 rig... NO problems whatsoever.

As far as the D3D renderer... there are a LOT of players that can NOT run any of these games using the OpenGL renderer. Hence, without the D3D renderer they can NOT play their games that the've spent their hard earned money on.

Originally posted by ゆう:
Now they are mad because most of players used 16 bits

And now, the players that have problems with OpenGL are FORCED to use SOFTWARE MODE (YUCK!), oh, which BTW, is 16-bit as well.

"Haters"? My ♥♥♥...
カンムル #Stagnated Feb 23, 2013 @ 6:49am 
Originally posted by Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel:
Originally posted by ゆう:
If you having problem try to re-install if doesn't help, try to updatee your video graphs driver if not report to valve.

The USUAL plethora of so-called Valve/Steam "fixes" that have been copy and pasted a million times in the past (that have NO effect whatsoever with fixing said problem(s)).

Probably but if it doesn't work for him I'll be glad to help him since I understand about the engine...most of fixes comes from changing a variable, and most people don't know that. Therefore blame Valve. It's easier isn't it.

Originally posted by Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel:

EAX, A3D, and D3D worked just FINE on my Windows XP SP3 rig... NO problems whatsoever.

As far as the D3D renderer... there are a LOT of players that can NOT run any of these games using the OpenGL renderer. Hence, without the D3D renderer they can NOT play their games that the've spent their hard earned money on.

I've never said it was a problem :)
I said it wasn't used anymore. I stil have a XP SP3 rig as well and guess what...it's the same thing. It doesn't change ab♥♥♥♥ly anything.
salamander Feb 23, 2013 @ 5:12pm 
Originally posted by ゆう:
Originally posted by GatoNegro:
Someone knows if the new steampipe versions of the games are compatible with windows XP?
I can't play CS1.6 or half-life anymore because of the new updates, they just crash when i start them.
Yes they should be 100% compatible. If you having problem try to re-install if doesn't help, try to updatee your video graphs driver if not report to valve.

-If you having problem try to re-install
I already did, but it didn't helped.
-if doesn't help, try to update your video graphs driver
Same thing.
-if not report to valve
I send a ticket to steam support some days ago, they said something about disabling DEP, however, it didn't worked.

Anyways, thanks for the help, Yuu.

Non-related:
In the CS1.6 game hub someone posted a .zip file containing all the outdated files for half-life/cs 1.6, i can run CS almost perfectly with these files, the only problem is, mics are f*cked up, but i can hear non-steam and outdated cs users with no problems, so i think they updated the voice codec as well.
Terroristy Feb 24, 2013 @ 8:38am 
Originally posted by Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel:
Valve, for the love of gawd and all things holy, PLEASE do NOT update Counter-Strike: Condition Zero, Counter-Strike: Condition Zero Deleted Scenes, or Day of Defeat!

Absolutely NOTHING... NO "new content" delivery system, NO "SteamPipe" format or installation, NO GoldSource engine updates, NO "updates" to the graphics renderers or audio support (e.g. removing the D3D renderer, or EAX 4-channel surround-sound support), NO moving the files and directories structure all over the place, and NO updates to the games themselves.

PLEASE, *NO* UPDATES!

HAHA antoher 10 yo kid mad at fact that times are changing, people are playing on other rigs and other systems than Windows. Deal with it.

And thankfully Valve dont hear wrong side of community, witch OP is definitly represent...
Djhg2K Feb 24, 2013 @ 8:40am 
Well, if OpenGL doesn't work then maybe it's time to try Linux. It has worked perfectly for me on every machine so far from a fresh install of Ubuntu (I've used Linux for ~7 years, trust me it has come a long way in the recent year). Windows is slowly losing the gaming argument to Linux anyway so this might be a good time to get started.

While I do of course realize the fact that it's not ok to break compatibility with older systems, managing two trees of code creates other issues such as favoring one tree above the other e.g. favoring Linux/Mac development and Windows version needs to have the changes backported (more work and more bugs, a scenario we don't want to see). In other words, you simply have to sacrifice the ancient D3D support for continued unified development.

Since Linux uses a different OpenGL stack, testing in Linux might actually help solving your issues. For instance, if you get texture errors in Windows but it works fine in Linux on the same hardware, it might be a Windows specific issue (ofc you can't be expected to try on Mac OS which may or may not share the same issue) which in turn will help narrow down where it needs to be fixed.

TL;DR:
If OpenGL doesn't work for you, try Linux and report back to Valve.
Terroristy Feb 24, 2013 @ 8:45am 
Originally posted by Djhg2K:
TL;DR:
If OpenGL doesn't work for you, try Linux and report back to Valve.

Maybe less to Valve but more to driver manufacturer.
I'm right now on AMD card and its last time I bought their graphic card- they had their chance to overhelm NVIDIA with their HD series (4850 served for soo long) but their lack of good drivers for both Windows and Linux is now too much.
Showing 1-15 of 41 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Feb 18, 2013 @ 2:51am
Posts: 41