X-COM: UFO Defense

X-COM: UFO Defense

The Spy is a Spy Feb 17, 2014 @ 6:12am
Help? Just a new guy looking for tips.
Bought Enemy Unknown on Ipad ( since it's the same game but 20$ less and everyone said that I should give UFO defense a try. So I picked it up, started it, and went on easy. I was Immediatly impressed with the strategic layer packed into it. So I shot down my first UFO and sent the skyranger. I killed my first sectoid and rushed the UFO without any casualties. However, I soon discovered that, although I had soldiers on every side of it, I could not find a door to get inside. I tried standing next to the darker-colored two block wide walls and telling my soldier to go inside, but they wouldn't budge. Anybody have a guide/useful info on this?
< >
Showing 1-7 of 7 comments
jasper949 Feb 17, 2014 @ 12:23pm 
Try the following webpage for a some great info. http://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=XCOM

Not sure what ufo ship type u were attacking, if it was your first most likely a small scout. There are floor plans of all ufo types in the guide

Also plenyt of help on the discussions here.

Good luck.
Ryan Paul Fialcowitz Feb 20, 2014 @ 1:54am 
Originally posted by The Spy is a Spy:
Bought Enemy Unknown on Ipad ( since it's the same game but 20$ less and everyone said that I should give UFO defense a try. So I picked it up, started it, and went on easy. I was Immediatly impressed with the strategic layer packed into it. So I shot down my first UFO and sent the skyranger. I killed my first sectoid and rushed the UFO without any casualties. However, I soon discovered that, although I had soldiers on every side of it, I could not find a door to get inside. I tried standing next to the darker-colored two block wide walls and telling my soldier to go inside, but they wouldn't budge. Anybody have a guide/useful info on this?

Two points:

1.) Everything in the game is destructable. Although if your still early in the game you probably don't have the means yet to make a new door in the ship.

2.) If you can't get into the ship try clicking inside- the selected character should try to move inside thus showing you the door.

- Ryan Paul Fialcowitz
The Spy is a Spy Mar 4, 2014 @ 3:08pm 
Thanks. Although now I have another problem. How do you move base buildings around? Second playthrough got wiped out on a base defense mission because they came through 3 sides and killed everybody in the base.
Ryan Paul Fialcowitz Mar 4, 2014 @ 5:18pm 
Originally posted by The Spy is a Spy:
Thanks. Although now I have another problem. How do you move base buildings around? Second playthrough got wiped out on a base defense mission because they came through 3 sides and killed everybody in the base.
You can't. The best you can do is destroy an existing room and rebuild it elsewhere.
Empiro Mar 23, 2014 @ 3:48pm 
The default base layout is terrible. It is recommended that you build two Hangers (cheap at 200k each) next to the one at the top, demolish the two at the bottom, and demolish the room next to the access lift. That way, you have a strong chokepoint when you get attacked.
Ryan Paul Fialcowitz Mar 23, 2014 @ 4:04pm 
Originally posted by Empiro:
The default base layout is terrible. It is recommended that you build two Hangers (cheap at 200k each) next to the one at the top, demolish the two at the bottom, and demolish the room next to the access lift. That way, you have a strong chokepoint when you get attacked.
Alternate base layouts, among other things:
https://sites.google.com/site/stjones/xcomutil
Last edited by Ryan Paul Fialcowitz; Mar 23, 2014 @ 4:05pm
erick Apr 12, 2014 @ 6:56pm 
I remember the first time I played this game with my brother. We could not find the door either. Ended up using high explosives to blow up a door. It was funny when we figured out just walk in :P
< >
Showing 1-7 of 7 comments
Per page: 15 30 50