markkaye32 Jul 9, 2013 @ 6:06am
Regarding followers, what does the phrase "essential" mean?
Regarding followers, what does the phrase "essential" mean? I keep seeing the phrase this follower is essenttial, or this follower is not essential. does it mean the can be killed or not killed etc, and if so which is which?
Showing 1-8 of 8 comments
< >
Anarchisteve Jul 9, 2013 @ 6:12am 
Essential followers can't be killed.
Major Moolah Jul 9, 2013 @ 6:16am 
They cannot be killed. Some NPCs lose the essential status when a quest demands that they be killed, or they serve no purpose in quests anymore. Some stay essential, even when they probably should not. I know this is vague, but I do not want to post spoilers
ᅚᅚ ᅚᅚᅚᅚ ᅚᅚ Jul 9, 2013 @ 7:28am 
Also, you always want to have an essential follower permantly so they don't just die three feet into a dungeon. And essential doesn't mean they'll always keep fighting- When they run out of hp they fall on the ground, and after about 10 seconds get back up to keep fighting.
markkaye32 Jul 9, 2013 @ 7:57am 
Originally posted by Anarchisteve:
Essential followers can't be killed.

Cool thanks.

Originally posted by Major Moolah (retired):
They cannot be killed. Some NPCs lose the essential status when a quest demands that they be killed, or they serve no purpose in quests anymore. Some stay essential, even when they probably should not. I know this is vague, but I do not want to post spoilers

Not vague at all, it makes sence, thanks for not spoiling hehe.

Originally posted by Tylerlego623:
Also, you always want to have an essential follower permantly so they don't just die three feet into a dungeon. And essential doesn't mean they'll always keep fighting- When they run out of hp they fall on the ground, and after about 10 seconds get back up to keep fighting. :tradingcard:

Thanks for the extra info, it is also usful to know extra stuff like that.
Ostheim Jul 9, 2013 @ 8:05am 
Also, if you ever wanted to you may:
1. Open the console.
2. Click an NPC you wish to change, then
3. type setessential 1 to make them essential (immortal) or setessential 0 to make them non-essential (mortal).
stabbykitteh Jul 9, 2013 @ 8:12am 
Adding one more detail that you may want to know. Many followers aren't actually essential, they're protected. Protected means that enemies can't kill them, but you can.

So if your protected follower goes down to one knee to regenerate health and you hit them, they'll die. Didn't want that to be an unfortunate surprise...
Last edited by stabbykitteh; Jul 9, 2013 @ 8:15am
Major Moolah Jul 9, 2013 @ 8:15am 
Originally posted by stabbykitteh:
Adding one more detail that you may want to know. Many followers aren't actually essential, they're protected. Protected means that enemies can't kill them, but you can.

So if your protected follower goes down to one knee to regenerate health and you hit them, they'll die.

Damn, Mr. Kitteh, you know your stuff. That also inculdes the ragdoll effect from Fus Ro Dah, so don't Shout if your follower is down
markkaye32 Jul 12, 2013 @ 12:06pm 
Wow cool. thx. /deepbow
Showing 1-8 of 8 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Jul 9, 2013 @ 6:06am
Posts: 8