jaycen761 Dec 4, 2012 @ 5:20pm
Skrim now crashes every couple minutes since Steam coverted the game's format
I got a message 2 days ago that Steam needed to convert format of my Skyrim game for some reason. I said ok and then I watch a progress bar for 20 minutes. Now that it is done, the game crashes constantly. Any time I try to save the game especially. So now I have played for several hours and only have about 10 minutes of progress to show for it. Because the game keeps crashing. Has anyone else seen this?
Showing 1-15 of 21 comments
< >
Momcat Dec 4, 2012 @ 7:22pm 
I too am having this problem. Any help would be great.
yeti1069 Dec 5, 2012 @ 9:06am 
Ditto.
Italian Dragon Dec 5, 2012 @ 10:23am 
Try doing a cache check. It frequently does wonders.
Also can you give us your config please ? It would help.
DnL Dec 5, 2012 @ 12:03pm 
Exact same problem here. Actually, got so ♥♥♥♥ed off I uninstalled it for a while.

About the cache check, I tried it about 5 times; it would always find a missing archive, but before I could even think "hooorayyy", Windows Explorer would stop responding, restart 3 seconds later like nothing happened and, apparently, undo whatever missing file replacement recently downloaded.

From what I've read on other forums, this is a compatibility issue, although there are multiple causes being accused: Skyrim on Steam, x64 incompatibility, memory limitation, etc etc etc....a clean answer and solution would be nice =/
Italian Dragon Dec 5, 2012 @ 12:47pm 
Originally posted by DnL:
Exact same problem here. Actually, got so ♥♥♥♥ed off I uninstalled it for a while.

About the cache check, I tried it about 5 times; it would always find a missing archive, but before I could even think "hooorayyy", Windows Explorer would stop responding, restart 3 seconds later like nothing happened and, apparently, undo whatever missing file replacement recently downloaded.

From what I've read on other forums, this is a compatibility issue, although there are multiple causes being accused: Skyrim on Steam, x64 incompatibility, memory limitation, etc etc etc....a clean answer and solution would be nice =/

I run Skyrim on Win 7 x64 Ultimate SP1 without a hitch so I can already say that it's not related to the x64 architecture. However have you tried googling that missive archive ? Also Steam might seem unresponsive at times, so just leave it there for a bit and see what happens.
DnL Dec 5, 2012 @ 1:13pm 
I'd be happy to try and download the missing archvie, if I knew which one; Steam would just say "1 missing file has been detected and will now be redownloaded" or something like that. The point is, it never pointed out exactly which archive was missing.

And it wasn't Steam that would stop responding, it would be Windows Explorer, which was weird.

Anyhow, the problem may be the quest I'm currently on (the one where you use the Dreamstride potion); apparently it's infamous for being bugged on PC. The thing is, even if it was only the quest, it wouldn't explain the missing file bug.
Italian Dragon Dec 5, 2012 @ 1:56pm 
Originally posted by DnL:
I'd be happy to try and download the missing archvie, if I knew which one; Steam would just say "1 missing file has been detected and will now be redownloaded" or something like that. The point is, it never pointed out exactly which archive was missing.

And it wasn't Steam that would stop responding, it would be Windows Explorer, which was weird.

Anyhow, the problem may be the quest I'm currently on (the one where you use the Dreamstride potion); apparently it's infamous for being bugged on PC. The thing is, even if it was only the quest, it wouldn't explain the missing file bug.

I see now. Have you tried updating IE ? Sometimes a simple update does wonders.
DnL Dec 5, 2012 @ 2:13pm 
Yeah, I'm going to do a full update run on all major programs once I stop redownloading Skyrim again, just in case. And since the specific quest I'm on is problematic, I'm going to try and go through with it without saving; afterall, these problems happened only after I started this quest, and hopefully it will stop after the quest is done.

It's just a shame that such a great game has so many frustrating bugs, especially for PC.
Italian Dragon Dec 5, 2012 @ 3:10pm 
Originally posted by DnL:
Yeah, I'm going to do a full update run on all major programs once I stop redownloading Skyrim again, just in case. And since the specific quest I'm on is problematic, I'm going to try and go through with it without saving; afterall, these problems happened only after I started this quest, and hopefully it will stop after the quest is done.

It's just a shame that such a great game has so many frustrating bugs, especially for PC.


Agreed, frustrating bugs are frustrating >.>
SingularReaper Dec 5, 2012 @ 5:13pm 
My game was stable, running mods, etc. Steam recently did an update to their Steam system, itself, just the other day and now my game crashes every five minutes, from my first play after the update. This is not a mod issue as far as I can tell. Just auto crashes to desktop without warning and on 'clean saves', new saves, what have you.
DnL Dec 5, 2012 @ 5:20pm 
Originally posted by SingularReaper:
My game was stable, running mods, etc. Steam recently did an update to their Steam system, itself, just the other day and now my game crashes every five minutes, from my first play after the update. This is not a mod issue as far as I can tell. Just auto crashes to desktop without warning and on 'clean saves', new saves, what have you.

Yeah, I've been reading a growing number of complaints pointing towards this recent Steam update...which makes sense considering that my problems also started after the update (although, I was also starting the glitchy "Dreamstride" quest, so double the trouble).

Any idea if Valve is aware of the issue?
yeti1069 Dec 5, 2012 @ 5:27pm 
Yep, same here. The only things that occurred around the time that I started getting the crashes were unchecking the Interiors portion of Project Reality and the Steam update.
SingularReaper Dec 5, 2012 @ 5:36pm 
Had that problem on a previous play through with the Dreamstride quest, well before this Steam update, so that is not it for me. Have not touched that quest this time around and do not plan to, until they fix it. I don't like crashing when I try to save. lol.
Whether or not Valve knows of this, I have no clue. However, I would hope/imagine that people have contacted them already, beyond this forum or that they at least read posts here.
Marvin Sad-Man^"[°]"^Thrilling G Dec 5, 2012 @ 6:23pm 
Hello there... You hope and imagine a lot of things and perhaps...You may be right or not.

It doesnot help everyone , same trouble, same place I think for me SingularReaper. Just hope Steam will find easily and quickly a "solution" ...Good game ... Maybe a line missing or incompatible in Elderscroll IV : Skyrim. Just wanted to say : Had to wait 8 month to play the game since the times I bought it to play to it ...Just playing 2 weeks ago...and now : Crash,crash , crash , allways at the same place....Maybe ...Just choose another savepoint or wait again. Steam will hear us !?
yeti1069 Dec 5, 2012 @ 6:59pm 
Crashing in the same place would be nice...I've been crashing in different spots out around Skyrim, even after loading back to the area. For example, I was running through a ritual circle somewhere out near Solitude and crashed. Loaded back in (I'd saved in the circle), ran forward and crashed in roughly the same spot. Loaded back in and ran a different direction first, basically circling around that area, and was fine for about 5 minutes.

I've crashed while trying to save my game.
I've crashed while stepping into/out of a building.
Showing 1-15 of 21 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Dec 4, 2012 @ 5:20pm
Posts: 21