Birkyfan Mar 4, 2014 @ 2:42pm
Any tips for beginners
So im getting skyrim and is their any tips for beginers about this game because i know nothing
Showing 1-15 of 43 comments
< >
Skainey Mar 4, 2014 @ 2:44pm 
do not kill chikens
Dartenix Mar 4, 2014 @ 2:52pm 
LOOT IT ALL UP

Also dont forget to take bountys, you can also fast travel on map if you have been discovered new place.
Bob Mar 4, 2014 @ 2:55pm 
Play as you see fit, Mod as you want your game to be, or look like, once you're experienced in the Vanilla game. Skyrim is what you make it. Best advice I can give.
Last edited by Bob; Mar 4, 2014 @ 3:05pm
patandspooky Mar 4, 2014 @ 2:56pm 
You will find encumbrance to be an issue. i generally only pick up stuff that is 10:1 value:weight even with a mod that increases encumbrance. i believe there is also a console command to cheat it up there.

pay for training as often as possible. this is your big money sink.

fairly early on you can get a companion. this will make the game much easier, as you can let them tank/help quite a bit. essential on harder difficulty levels.

speaking of difficulty levels, you raise skills by using them. harder difficulty levels require more hits/swings/spells to kill things, thus skills increase faster on harder difficulty levels.

play a bit and ask more questions!

www.nexus.com has mods (i believe i have that addy right; if not look it up)

me
duckshockey6 Mar 4, 2014 @ 2:59pm 
make sure that you look up the command codes online. makes leveling up a lot easier
Originally posted by birkyfan:
So im getting skyrim and is their any tips for beginers about this game because i know nothing
Bob Mar 4, 2014 @ 3:01pm 
@Birkyfan,
I would steer away from command codes/consoles as a noob to Skyrim. If you don't know what you're doing, then they can hurt your game in one form, or another. That's just bad advice to give to someone new to Skyrim.
Last edited by Bob; Mar 4, 2014 @ 3:06pm
Trigger Mar 4, 2014 @ 3:21pm 
Buy yourself a horse with your first 1,000 gold, Horses have no-weight limits-great for after clearing a Ruins or Dungeon and then loot everything on your way back out to your horse. When you become overweight use your Whirlwind Sprint shout to move down longer hallways, and keep looting even though you are overweight because once you get to your horse, you can mount him while overweight, then Fast travel anywhere
gnewna Mar 4, 2014 @ 3:26pm 
Besides, leveling up is easy enough if you actually, you know, PLAY THE GAME instead of just typing some commands that make you all-powerful. Want to level up one-handed? Find enemies and hit them with your sword (NB don't attack people in the cities unless they attack you first - which most of them won't). Want to level up smithing? Make some stuff at the forge. Want to level up destruction? Same as for one-handed, but cast Flames (or Frostbite or Sparks) at them.

Anyway, top tips: if you get really stuck on something, the UESP wiki (unofficial elder scrolls pages - I don't have a browser window open so can't find the link, but if you google UESP you should find it easily) has a LOAD of information on all kinds of things, from walkthroughs of quests, bug fixes (though not for everything) and information on NPCs daily schedules to alchemy ingredients, lore and lots of other stuff. People here are pretty happy to help out with questions, but you'll probably get an answer quicker if you look on the UESP.

Explore. I am not anti fast travel, but you will miss a LOT of the game if you don't spend some time just wandering around the countryside. If you look at your compass bar at the top, you'll see little icons, black for ones you haven't gotten close to yet and white for ones you've 'discovered' already. There are a LOT of these which won't be on your map until you discover them, and many of them are worth checking out, you may find enemies, treasure, or something poignant.

Don't try to do everything on one playthrough. It's perfectly possible to finish every guild's questline and one side of the civil war, plus the main quest on one character, but most people find it sort of... doesn't feel right. Either it gets boring, or it just doesn't really make sense. I usually pick one or two 'storylines' (e.g. the Thieves' Guild OR the Companions, never both - like I say, you *can* do it, but it doesn't really make any narrative sense, unless I guess you decide you're fooling one of them) to focus on for a given playthrough, and maybe do the MQ and/or civil war as well, there are SO many 'side quests' and things to explore that it's perfectly possible to get to a decent level without forcing a mage into the Companions or whatever just to get more experience. This doesn't mean you can't play against 'type' (e.g. I'm sure it could be fun to play the Companions as a pure mage, more or less) but it's likely it'll be more satisfying if you specialise a bit and tailor your guild memberships and whatever to the type of character you're playing.
2LambBuna Mar 4, 2014 @ 3:26pm 
BEFORE YOU CAN BUY A HORSE

drink a stength potion just before you teleport back to town, that gets around encumberance problems
gnewna Mar 4, 2014 @ 3:30pm 
Oh, also, don't be in a hurry to level up/become fantastically wealthy. I actually find the game's most fun up to about level 30, after that it's easy to become bored (I've never gone beyond about level 45) because you can easily become OP, especially if you're doing all three types of crafting. You do find better loot at higher levels, but it can still get pretty meh if you're just one-shotting everything and nothing ever damages you any more because you've got a million points of armour and all your gear has 'fortify health' enchants on it.
Angry Toaster Mar 4, 2014 @ 3:32pm 
Originally posted by gnewna:
Oh, also, don't be in a hurry to level up/become fantastically wealthy. I actually find the game's most fun up to about level 30, after that it's easy to become bored (I've never gone beyond about level 45) because you can easily become OP, especially if you're doing all three types of crafting. You do find better loot at higher levels, but it can still get pretty meh if you're just one-shotting everything and nothing ever damages you any more because you've got a million points of armour and all your gear has 'fortify health' enchants on it.
I had that problem before I installed high level enemies, and now game is pretty fun again.
gnewna Mar 4, 2014 @ 3:38pm 
I've decided to limit myself to one or two crafting schools for now, usually smithing and crafting as they seem more like things you should be able to just pick up, enchanting really seems like something you should need to study, so I'm restricting it to mage characters for now. Also not letting myself hang onto every potentially useful potion, so when I need to use them I'll have to be more strategic rather than having pockets full of Slow poison or whatever and just spamming it. I'm also using SkyRe which I think makes things more interesting with more perks to invest in, different combat, etc. Currently doing a 'non-adventurer' character, but after this I'm thinking of trying an illusion-heavy assassin or thief (trying to kill as few enemies as I can, instead relying on sneaking past and using Calm - which works on any level in SkyRe (I think) but is only a one-time-per-target spell - or possibly trying something like Frenzy to get them fighting among themselves.) I've done an assassin, sort of, before, but it was really more of an adventurer with a dagger and a bow deal.
Birkyfan Mar 4, 2014 @ 3:40pm 
Originally posted by gnewna:
Besides, leveling up is easy enough if you actually, you know, PLAY THE GAME instead of just typing some commands that make you all-powerful. Want to level up one-handed? Find enemies and hit them with your sword (NB don't attack people in the cities unless they attack you first - which most of them won't). Want to level up smithing? Make some stuff at the forge. Want to level up destruction? Same as for one-handed, but cast Flames (or Frostbite or Sparks) at them.

Anyway, top tips: if you get really stuck on something, the UESP wiki (unofficial elder scrolls pages - I don't have a browser window open so can't find the link, but if you google UESP you should find it easily) has a LOAD of information on all kinds of things, from walkthroughs of quests, bug fixes (though not for everything) and information on NPCs daily schedules to alchemy ingredients, lore and lots of other stuff. People here are pretty happy to help out with questions, but you'll probably get an answer quicker if you look on the UESP.

Explore. I am not anti fast travel, but you will miss a LOT of the game if you don't spend some time just wandering around the countryside. If you look at your compass bar at the top, you'll see little icons, black for ones you haven't gotten close to yet and white for ones you've 'discovered' already. There are a LOT of these which won't be on your map until you discover them, and many of them are worth checking out, you may find enemies, treasure, or something poignant.

Don't try to do everything on one playthrough. It's perfectly possible to finish every guild's questline and one side of the civil war, plus the main quest on one character, but most people find it sort of... doesn't feel right. Either it gets boring, or it just doesn't really make sense. I usually pick one or two 'storylines' (e.g. the Thieves' Guild OR the Companions, never both - like I say, you *can* do it, but it doesn't really make any narrative sense, unless I guess you decide you're fooling one of them) to focus on for a given playthrough, and maybe do the MQ and/or civil war as well, there are SO many 'side quests' and things to explore that it's perfectly possible to get to a decent level without forcing a mage into the Companions or whatever just to get more experience. This doesn't mean you can't play against 'type' (e.g. I'm sure it could be fun to play the Companions as a pure mage, more or less) but it's likely it'll be more satisfying if you specialise a bit and tailor your guild memberships and whatever to the type of character you're playing.
thanks alot this hopefully will help
2LambBuna Mar 4, 2014 @ 3:40pm 
Originally posted by gnewna:
I've decided to limit myself to one or two crafting schools for now, usually smithing and crafting as they seem more like things you should be able to just pick up, enchanting really seems like something you should need to study, so I'm restricting it to mage characters for now. Also not letting myself hang onto every potentially useful potion, so when I need to use them I'll have to be more strategic rather than having pockets full of Slow poison or whatever and just spamming it. I'm also using SkyRe which I think makes things more interesting with more perks to invest in, different combat, etc. Currently doing a 'non-adventurer' character, but after this I'm thinking of trying an illusion-heavy assassin or thief (trying to kill as few enemies as I can, instead relying on sneaking past and using Calm - which works on any level in SkyRe (I think) but is only a one-time-per-target spell - or possibly trying something like Frenzy to get them fighting among themselves.) I've done an assassin, sort of, before, but it was really more of an adventurer with a dagger and a bow deal.

you could go heavy on ilusion with a side line in destruction for the various traps. great fun frenzying / fearing mobs into all your carefully laid out traps.
gnewna Mar 4, 2014 @ 3:58pm 
Good call!
Showing 1-15 of 43 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Mar 4, 2014 @ 2:42pm
Posts: 43