The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

View Stats:
Vayalith Feb 12, 2014 @ 1:58pm
Skyrim.esm and Update.esm missing from data files
I cant run skyrim without it crashing to desktop without those in, I had them on my old pc but now it wont show on this one, help?
< >
Showing 1-15 of 30 comments
Trigger Feb 12, 2014 @ 2:04pm 
you will never see it in your Skyrim data file, but they are installed into your game
Incunabulum Feb 12, 2014 @ 2:06pm 
Originally posted by Trigger:
you will never see it in your Skyrim data file, but they are installed into your game

I've got both in my /data folder, clear as day.
Incunabulum Feb 12, 2014 @ 2:07pm 
Originally posted by dragonlullaby:
I cant run skyrim without it crashing to desktop without those in, I had them on my old pc but now it wont show on this one, help?

When you run the launcher, open the 'Data Files' menu, do you seen them there and are they checked?
Trigger Feb 12, 2014 @ 2:07pm 
top of your Skyrim data file should look like this: Dawnguard.esm, then Hearthfires.esm, then Dragonborn.esm. do you have the Unoffical patches,
Vayalith Feb 12, 2014 @ 2:09pm 
Originally posted by Trigger:
top of your Skyrim data file should look like this: Dawnguard.esm, then Hearthfires.esm, then Dragonborn.esm. do you have the Unoffical patches,

No i do not.
Incunabulum Feb 12, 2014 @ 2:11pm 
Wow, the built in launcher is worse than I thought if it won't display those files.

In any case, open your Skryim install directory and look inside /Data and see if Skyrim.em and Update.esm are in there.
Vayalith Feb 12, 2014 @ 2:13pm 
Originally posted by Incunabulum:
Wow, the built in launcher is worse than I thought if it won't display those files.

In any case, open your Skryim install directory and look inside /Data and see if Skyrim.em and Update.esm are in there.

They are in there, but whenever I activate the data files and check everything, with no mods installed. I do have hearthfire, dawnguard and dragonborn only in right now. But it still crashes after bethesda logo.
Incunabulum Feb 12, 2014 @ 2:15pm 
Deactivate the DLC (only Skyrim.esm and Update.esm active) and see what happens
Vayalith Feb 12, 2014 @ 2:16pm 
Thats the problem, I do not have Skyrim.esm or Update.esm in the data files. You know on the launcher....I mean.
Trigger Feb 12, 2014 @ 2:17pm 
i just checked my skyrim data file and SKYRIM.ESM and UPDATES.ESM are not seen in my skyrim data file: first thing on my load order is the Unoffical Skyrim patch. But if i go to my nexus mod manager page under PLUGIN's it says Skyrim.esm and then update.esm but never on my skyrim data file - and never has shown there.
Incunabulum Feb 12, 2014 @ 2:19pm 
Originally posted by dragonlullaby:
Thats the problem, I do not have Skyrim.esm or Update.esm in the data files. You know on the launcher....I mean.

I know, open the launcher, got to 'data files' and then deactivate the DLC and any other plugins you have.
Incunabulum Feb 12, 2014 @ 2:20pm 
Originally posted by Trigger:
i just checked my skyrim data file and SKYRIM.ESM and UPDATES.ESM are not seen in my skyrim data file: first thing on my load order is the Unoffical Skyrim patch. But if i go to my nexus mod manager page under PLUGIN's it says Skyrim.esm and then update.esm but never on my skyrim data file - and never has shown there.

Well, they don't show up in the game's launcher - but they're in my /data folder. I don't use the launcher anyway - they both are shown as plugins the NMM.
Vayalith Feb 12, 2014 @ 2:20pm 
Originally posted by Trigger:
i just checked my skyrim data file and SKYRIM.ESM and UPDATES.ESM are not seen in my skyrim data file: first thing on my load order is the Unoffical Skyrim patch. But if i go to my nexus mod manager page under PLUGIN's it says Skyrim.esm and then update.esm but never on my skyrim data file - and never has shown there.

I read ya, but what i dont understand is, why my game crashes after i enable the data files on the launcher.
Trigger Feb 12, 2014 @ 2:22pm 
@ dragonlullaby, make sure the 3 D.L.C.'s are load as follow: DAWNGUARD.ESM, HEARTHFIRES.ESM then DRAGONBORN.ESM then go play your game
Incunabulum Feb 12, 2014 @ 2:23pm 
Originally posted by dragonlullaby:
Originally posted by Trigger:
i just checked my skyrim data file and SKYRIM.ESM and UPDATES.ESM are not seen in my skyrim data file: first thing on my load order is the Unoffical Skyrim patch. But if i go to my nexus mod manager page under PLUGIN's it says Skyrim.esm and then update.esm but never on my skyrim data file - and never has shown there.

I read ya, but what i dont understand is, why my game crashes after i enable the data files on the launcher.

We're working on that. First, does the game work *without them?
< >
Showing 1-15 of 30 comments
Per page: 15 30 50

Date Posted: Feb 12, 2014 @ 1:58pm
Posts: 30