Ilja (Ref) Jun 7 @ 3:34am
Few words about mods and forums
This thing comes up regularly and in several forums. This week has been one of the worst I remember, so I believe that we need to remind ourselves about few things. While Skyrim requires Steam to work, I think this forum is the proper channel to remind most users about the matter.

Please do not upload mods to other sites or file sharing services without the specific permission from the mod author.

In worst case scenario, you do not only risk getting banned from file sharing community, but mod author(s) might see no other option than to completely pull their work away. This has happened in the past.

Keep in mind, that work that was pulled away for your actions might have acted as a parent mod for another mod(s). Those wouldn't work without it. The new location for file – if available – might not be open for everyone that wish to use it as dependency for other mods.

To that matter, please understand that not all members have – for various reasons – access or willingness to join to all communities sharing mods and resources for Skyrim. Un-legitime uploads to others sites will only spread this problem, where dependency files are not available for uploaded mods.

Please do not ask members of forums to upload mods from other sites to other forums. Do not ask other users to chop larger mods in pieces to fit them (as un-legitime uploads) another file sharing site. It is exactly the same thing than above, despite what you might wish to believe.

The most important thing:

Remember to have fun with Skyrim...
... and let others have fun as well.
Last edited by Ilja (Ref); Jun 7 @ 3:35am
Showing 1-10 of 10 comments
< >
gnewna Jun 7 @ 5:03am 
Thanks for this. I'd never ask if 'someone' could upload a version of a fanfic I wanted to read to AOOO because I didn't want to go to FF.net, or whatever.
I don't quite understand the context.

Is this a message to those who have downloaded someone else's mod, then are trying to re-upload it as their own? Which is wrong. Other than that, I'm lost :/
gnewna Jun 7 @ 6:01am 
There have been a few people posting saying "hey, could someone upload [Nexus-only mod] to Steam?" In one case they were asking if "someone" could split the mod in question into smaller parts in order to get around Steam's file-size limitation.
ahhh yes. Sadly, youngsters need to learn about respect as an on-going maturity process... <sigh>
Smile n Fire Jun 7 @ 6:11am 
isnt copying or hacking up and/or redistributing someone else's mod the sincerest from of flattery. :)
BelphegorATS Jun 7 @ 6:27am 
Originally posted by Smile n Fire:
isnt copying or hacking up and/or redistributing someone else's mod the sincerest from of flattery. :)

I believe the term is plagerism since copying someone else's work without giving credit is just that. Changing several aspects of it won't make a difference since some people might recognize what you've done and report it to the original mod author and flag your content for plagerism.
Ilja (Ref) Jun 7 @ 6:32am 
Originally posted by KL Master Dan StormCats:
I don't quite understand the context.

Is this a message to those who have downloaded someone else's mod, then are trying to re-upload it as their own? Which is wrong. Other than that, I'm lost :/

That – and what gnewna said – are what sparked this post. This is not a problem with Workshop/Nexus alone. Some players are picking mods published trough blogs and other forums, and trying to publish them in other forums – without permission from the author.

Some of them don't even seem to realize that they are doing wrong. (I forgot to add this part:) They don't seem to care that versions they share are unsupported, possibly bugged and can get out of date.

But, there is more to this.

I came by an un-legit "mod collection" last week. It was available to be downloaded where BS like that can usually be found. The modlist – manual installation collected from Nexus, blogs and LL – was an invitation to CTDs.

That idiot had even included ENBoost and binaries, reflecting his own GPU. No instructions how to get proper ones, because "this works for me, so it will work for you as well!" I honestly wonder if his IQ is larger than the size of his shoe.

The suggested load order was even worse. In conversation, another guy insisted that tools like LOOT will only break your game and players should stick with this load order, or risk trouble.

I don't have account in that site (anymore), so I left them to live with the CTD wonderland.

If any of these guys that have uploaded or downloaded "packs" like this are reading this, then be real men and take them down now.
Last edited by Ilja (Ref); Jun 7 @ 6:36am
BelphegorATS Jun 7 @ 6:44am 
Originally posted by Ilja (Ref):
That – and what gnewna said – are what sparked this post. This is not a problem with Workshop/Nexus alone. Some players are picking mods published trough blogs and other forums, and trying to publish them in other forums – without permission from the author.

Some of them don't even seem to realize that they are doing wrong. (I forgot to add this part:) They don't seem to care that versions they share are unsupported, possibly bugged and can get out of date.

But, there is more to this.

I came by an un-legit "mod collection" last week. It was available to be downloaded where BS like that can usually be found. The modlist – manual installation collected from Nexus, blogs and LL – was an invitation to CTDs.

That idiot had even included ENBoost and binaries, reflecting his own GPU. No instructions how to get proper ones, because "this works for me, so it will work for you as well!" I honestly wonder if his IQ is larger than the size of his shoe.

The suggested load order was even worse. In conversation, another guy insisted that tools like LOOT will only break your game and players should stick with this load order, or risk trouble.

I don't have account in that site (anymore), so I left them to live with the CTD wonderland.

If any of these guys that have uploaded or downloaded "packs" like this are reading this, then be real men and take them down now.

It seems like you've experienced this firsthand even if you didn't download illigitimate mods that were actually original content from someone else who made it prior to somebody else taking it. Were illigitimate mods the reason why you left that site, or did it contribute to your decision? I won't ask for any other reasons since I don't want to pry, but I would like to know if that's a sign of similar, possible issues on sites like the one you went to.
Last edited by BelphegorATS; Jun 7 @ 6:45am
Ilja (Ref) Jun 7 @ 7:11am 
Originally posted by BelphegorATS:
It seems like you've experienced this firsthand even if you didn't download illigitimate mods that were actually original content from someone else who made it prior to somebody else taking it. Were illigitimate mods the reason why you left that site, or did it contribute to your decision? I won't ask for any other reasons since I don't want to pry, but I would like to know if that's a sign of similar, possible issues on sites like the one you went to.

I have been playing Simcity 4 since 2003, so battle against illegimate mod collection has been part of my life for quite some time now. I have even built and shared few plugins of my own. :)

My reasons to abandon that site - and other similar sites - was that they were overcome by guys, whos only ideology was to feel entitled to get everything for free. Our idelogy was different, but all the good oldtimers left those sites, because of BS that fell over to them.

I didn't feel comfortable there and didn't want to support this new wave. We used to respect the work that was done by others and efforts put to create something. Large part of our activities was to ensure that actual copyrights were respected by others as well - especially those with marketing interests.

You are free to say that we somewhat failed, but at least we tried.

You have to excuse my language here, but I don't find my own image, when watching what these little ♥♥♥♥♥ are doing these days. They do not represent anything, do not even try to work with real copyright issues or promote open source software.

All they do is scream "Gimme, gimme, gimme! Free!!!"

That is not what we were about. We didn't steal from anyone. We worked for open infromation and still do.
Last edited by Ilja (Ref); Jun 7 @ 7:17am
BelphegorATS Jun 7 @ 7:27am 
Originally posted by Ilja (Ref):
I have been playing Simcity 4 since 2003, so battle against illegimate mod collection has been part of my life for quite some time now. I have even built and shared few plugins of my own. :)

My reasons to abandon that site - and other similar sites - was that they were overcome by guys, whos only ideology was to feel entitled to get everything for free. Our idelogy was different, but all the good oldtimers left those sites, because of BS that fell over to them.

I didn't feel comfortable there and didn't want to support this new wave. We used to respect the work that was done by others and efforts put to create something. Large part of our activities was to ensure that actual copyrights were respected by others as well - especially those with marketing interests.

You are free to say that we somewhat failed, but at least we tried.

You have to excuse my language here, but I don't find my own image, when watching what these little ♥♥♥♥♥ are doing these days. They do not represent anything, do not even try to work with real copyright issues or promote open source software.

All they do is scream "Gimme, gimme, gimme! Free!!!"

That is not what we were about. We didn't steal from anyone. We worked for open infromation and still do.

Well, you made the right choice for sticking with what you believed in instead of joining a crowd who sought to acquire stuff for free without giving credit where credit is due. It's a shame there are some people like that who refuse to follow the rules simply because they want stuff and take more than what's provided to them while taking all the credit for themselves. They need to learn that the world doesn't operate by that logic because it'll only lead to trouble for them.
Showing 1-10 of 10 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Jun 7 @ 3:34am
Posts: 10