kaMMakaZZi9 Jul 22 @ 1:35pm
I want to start over already... need help
So I chose a Khajiit blessed with the Warrior stone in an effort to be a warrior (one-handed, light armor type). Well I screwed up by applying just 1 attribute from my first level up to 2 to magicka and I do not plan to use magic now after reading a ton about the game. Warriors should really only level up Health/Stamina I read and a good rule of thumb is to do a 60/40 split. I also put skill points on Sneak already and one on Destruction .

Now I think I should focus on just one-handed, light armor, block and smithing (and maybe expand to one or two more skills - maxing at 6 - when I realize later how I want to play). Should I just be a Nord? I'm not really into thieving and sneaking/archery but I wouldn't mind having a bow for long range if I'm in a tight spot. Can I secondary archery to warrior light armor/one-handed and use that as one of my skills? I know you can play how you want but I don't want to mess up a character and get further into the game and realize it.

Also, if I were to ever go the magicka route, is there a way to do a warrior/mage type class? And if so how would you distribute your attributes among health, stamina and magicka in that case?
Showing 1-15 of 75 comments
< >
Grathagis Jul 22 @ 1:47pm 
Putting 1 attribute point into magicka is not really a waste. There are some alteration spells that are quite useful for any character; light and clairvoyance for example. To start a new character just because of that....
There are as many types of warrior/mages as there are players. Any combo is possible. Just pick one that suits you.
As a High elf I don't have to add as much magicka, but a 3/4/3 gives plenty of options.
Last edited by Grathagis; Jul 22 @ 1:48pm
kaMMakaZZi9 Jul 22 @ 1:49pm 
I'm not so concerned about my appearance/what race I am as I am how I'm going to go on and level up. I had the game on 360 and never got too far but I always enjoyed spellword so I like one-handed with some destruction spells. But I have no idea how I'd level that up and balance health/stamina/magicka. Should I go back to the stone and get the mage blessing or keep it at warrior until a certain point??? So overwhelming...
BelphegorATS Jul 22 @ 1:58pm 
The build you described is pretty much one of the archetypes listed in the main strategy guide. The only difference is that you included Smithing as a main skill when it's actually more of a secondary skill. Stick to One-Handed, Archery, Light Armor, and Block if you want a Warrior or Archer build and include Smithing as a secondary skill only if you feel you need it.

As for a Warrior/Mage build, the best one I know of is the Battlemage, a class that can wear armor and use One-Handed/Two-Handed weapons in addition to any of the five magic schools. Paladins are another build that utilizes magic while still retaining the feel of a Warrior, but this class focuses on Restoration more than the other schools. There are plenty of builds that fit both specilizations; these are just a couple examples.

Regarding how you want to set your attributes, choose where you'll feel the attributes you'll be making the most of count and focus on those more than ones not important to the build you are creating. The same goes for all eighteen skills as well. Just go with what you feel is right for the build you want to create.

Edit: Something I forgot to mention is that a bit of Restoration can be of benefit to Warriors.
Last edited by BelphegorATS; Jul 22 @ 2:02pm
BelphegorATS Jul 22 @ 2:06pm 
Originally posted by kaMMakaZZi9:
I'm not so concerned about my appearance/what race I am as I am how I'm going to go on and level up. I had the game on 360 and never got too far but I always enjoyed spellword so I like one-handed with some destruction spells. But I have no idea how I'd level that up and balance health/stamina/magicka. Should I go back to the stone and get the mage blessing or keep it at warrior until a certain point??? So overwhelming...

If you feel the need to create a new character to fix any mistakes you made while creating the first one, however small those flaws may be, go ahead and do it if you believe that will help you make some progress. If you want to try and salvage the current build if it needs salvaging and if possible, go with that instead if you don't want to spend more time creating a character. Pick whichever choice you believe will be of more aid to you rather than one you feel will hinder you.
chrisnc35 Jul 22 @ 2:08pm 
Sounds like you want to be something like a Spellsword...A mage in light armor, spell in one hand, sword in the other. Nothing wrong with that.

You can go with a Dark Elf as they are better (starting off) with one handed and Destruction spells. Use light armor, enchant em' with spell cost reduction and resistances. Use enchanted weapons as it helps with your damage output. Use a fast heal spell. ( I never had to go beyond Apprentice level with heal spells).
Put about 3-4 points in Resteration for the mana regen and stamina regen along with the increased heals by 50%.
Can use Alteration specifically for the resistances (30%). The increases in armor by Flesh spells doesn't hurt.
Can use Stealth (optional here) to sneak up and get the first attack in. I didn't need anymore than 5-6 points here.
Illusion helps out. Get the quite casting perk. Enemies can't hear you casting spells and can't find you as well when you are sneaking..
Get Adept lvl Illusion so you can use Invisibilty(it will cost less at this lvl).

As far as the stone..Mage or Warrior??? You can get the Apprentice(???) stone. It has a 15% increase to ALL skills you use. And if you find a particular set of skills lacking..magic or melee, just switch to the one you need.

Just get enough mana to cast your spells. Sort of like a 60/20/20 split from Health/Stamina/Mana
Last edited by chrisnc35; Jul 22 @ 2:10pm
kaMMakaZZi9 Jul 22 @ 2:09pm 
I don't know why I even put a perk point on Sneaking... I have no desire to be a thief or assassin. I suck at sneaking around and it's not very exciting to me. Guess I did it just because I'm a Khajiit. I had initially saved my first 3 level skill points because I felt I might mess something up if I did it too early and sure I enough I still put something where I ultimately don't want it.

I had one on one-handed, sneaking and destruction. I'm only lvl 4.
kaMMakaZZi9 Jul 22 @ 2:13pm 
I think I want to start over since I'm so early in the game and don't really feel like Khajiit fit in in Skyrim anyways. What is the best race for a spellsword? Not really interested in the Dark Elf to be honest, what would be the best human spellsword race? Breton?
Mormacil Jul 22 @ 2:17pm 
Breton, who are partial elves. Inherit magic resistance, decent spellcasting skills.
BelphegorATS Jul 22 @ 2:27pm 
Originally posted by kaMMakaZZi9:
I think I want to start over since I'm so early in the game and don't really feel like Khajiit fit in in Skyrim anyways. What is the best race for a spellsword? Not really interested in the Dark Elf to be honest, what would be the best human spellsword race? Breton?

Pretty much any race can be a Spellsword since there are no limits or restrictions on what you can do and choose in Skyrim regarding what build you play as (the same goes for Khajiit as well), but Bretons and Altmer are solid races for a Spellsword if you want to go for one of them.
kaMMakaZZi9 Jul 22 @ 2:30pm 
Based on this I pretty much don't want to drift to the right of Nord..

http://i.imgur.com/SlB1C.png
BelphegorATS Jul 22 @ 2:49pm 
Originally posted by kaMMakaZZi9:
Based on this I pretty much don't want to drift to the right of Nord..

http://i.imgur.com/SlB1C.png

So then your four choices are Nord, Orsimer, Imperial, and Redguard. All of those races are akin to Warrior builds, but Redguard and Imperial do have some leniency for other builds.
Omgwtfbbqkitten Jul 22 @ 2:50pm 
You may not want to be a thief type character, but there are a few quests that may require some skill in sneaking or NPCs will notice you easily.

It may not be optimal, but I like putting perks in skills that will be useful early. A 20-30% boost in sneaking to help avoid detection and to help skillup sneaking more easily, novice restoration to reduce magicka cost by 50% to allow more healing early on, a few into overdraw to increase bow damge for first shot sneak attacks at range, novice destruction to reduce magicka cost by 50% to more easily raise destruction on animals while travelling, steel smithing to help enhance armor and weapons more and make money quicker while leveling smithing etc.

I used most of my points to raise one handed damage and light armor rating.

Try to get the Aetherial crown asap. It will allow you to combine The lover stone 15% skill bonuses, warrior stone 20% skill bonuses and 10% resting skill bonus for an insane skillup and level up rate.
Last edited by Omgwtfbbqkitten; Jul 22 @ 2:51pm
kaMMakaZZi9 Jul 22 @ 3:54pm 
Originally posted by chrisnc35:
Sounds like you want to be something like a Spellsword...A mage in light armor, spell in one hand, sword in the other. Nothing wrong with that.

You can go with a Dark Elf as they are better (starting off) with one handed and Destruction spells. Use light armor, enchant em' with spell cost reduction and resistances. Use enchanted weapons as it helps with your damage output. Use a fast heal spell. ( I never had to go beyond Apprentice level with heal spells).
Put about 3-4 points in Resteration for the mana regen and stamina regen along with the increased heals by 50%.
Can use Alteration specifically for the resistances (30%). The increases in armor by Flesh spells doesn't hurt.
Can use Stealth (optional here) to sneak up and get the first attack in. I didn't need anymore than 5-6 points here.
Illusion helps out. Get the quite casting perk. Enemies can't hear you casting spells and can't find you as well when you are sneaking..
Get Adept lvl Illusion so you can use Invisibilty(it will cost less at this lvl).

As far as the stone..Mage or Warrior??? You can get the Apprentice(???) stone. It has a 15% increase to ALL skills you use. And if you find a particular set of skills lacking..magic or melee, just switch to the one you need.

Just get enough mana to cast your spells. Sort of like a 60/20/20 split from Health/Stamina/Mana

Is 60/20/20 safe? And if I choose Warrior Mage should I go Imperial, Nord, Breton or Redguard? As for perks would I be good trying to focus on 6 of them (One-Handed, Light Armor, Archery, Block, Destruction, Restoration)? I really want to be able to have the flexibility to shoot bows as well which is why I have that in there.
BelphegorATS Jul 22 @ 4:39pm 
Originally posted by kaMMakaZZi9:
Is 60/20/20 safe? And if I choose Warrior Mage should I go Imperial, Nord, Breton or Redguard? As for perks would I be good trying to focus on 6 of them (One-Handed, Light Armor, Archery, Block, Destruction, Restoration)? I really want to be able to have the flexibility to shoot bows as well which is why I have that in there.

You can set your attributes to whatever you prefer, but my advice is try and keep them at an ideal level so each is fairly near one another. Any race you choose is viable for a Warrior/Mage build as are the skills you wish to take for it, though Imperials and Bretons might be skilled at both aspects of the build. The one thing I'd advise against is the inclusion of Destruction if you have Archery because you've already got one long range skill, so you don't really need another.
chrisnc35 Jul 22 @ 4:41pm 
As a warrior mage you will still need plenty of health, moderate stamina as you will be using a weapon with an occasional power swing here and there along with a decent amount of magicka. Personly, I would choose either Nord, Breton or Redguard. They each have a excellent racial ability which you can take advantage of...Nord has the frost resistance, Breton has the majic resistance for fire, frost and shock, Redguard has the ability to increase their stamina regen once per day, which allows for more power swings in a row.

You can do fine with no more than 5 points in block. Are you planning on a sheild in there somewhere?? If so, than you can put 2-5 more points in blocking.

For Archery, you can actually fill out the entire tree if you wish, but 5 points in the 1rst tier, 1-2 in the increased critical chance, 1-2 in the slow time effect,(forgot the name) And a point in the perk for increasing the sight distance...err focus (again, forgot the name).

Destruction,... did you want to focus on a particular school?? I.E fire, ice or shock? If not, you can put 2 in ice, shock and fire, novice and apprentice level, dual cast if you want/need. If so, then get Impact...it can stagger the enemie when dual casting. You don't have to get Adept level spells, you will come accross some staffs with them as you travel.

Restoration...I never needed no more than apprentice level healing...Fast healing single or dual cast. ( I've never dual casted Fast healing, I didn't have too much trouble as I leveled) Get the improved healing, magicka regen and the Stamina boost from healing perk.

The One-handed perks are a given, choose what you are planning to use the most, axes, swords or maces and put points there. If you want all three, go for it.

Light armor.. get the 1rst 5 points there, followed by matching set and Improved fit ( I believe???)..It's an increase to your armor bonus.

Now...I know it sounds like a lot of points to use up, however if you add them up now, you will see that it gets you somewhere around level 35-40. Most times you might have done everything in the game you want to do at this point. Don't sweat it, there will be about 40 more points to go.
Showing 1-15 of 75 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Jul 22 @ 1:35pm
Posts: 75