Re: Games for Windows Live and Windows 8 PRO
I ran into the same problem with Arkham Asylum GOTY edition on Windows 8 Pro 64-bit. I didn't try Arkham City until the end of the following:
- I got an error about a missing xlive.dll and figured it was something to do with GFWL, so I went in to http://www.gamesforwindows.com/en-US/download/
and downloaded the latest installer available. After reinstalling GFWL a few times to no effect, I found this thead about problems with GFWL and Windows 8 on Arkham City/Asylum.
- I tried uninstalled "Microsoft Games for Windows - LIVE Redistributable" and "Microsoft Games for Windows Marketplace" in the Control Panel. I don't know if you need to uninstall both or just the Redistributable, that's just what I did.
- I next installed GFWL with the freshly-downloaded installer and then started up Arkham Asylum. The game launched and the GFWL overlay worked, but with some oddness (keyboard and mouse didn't work outside of the overlay and my Xbox 360 controller's Guide button was non-responsive). I signed in and it downloaded my profile data.
- After my profile finished downloading, the game acted like I hadn't downloaded it (warnings about not being signed in and being unable to save), but I still had access to the GFWL overlay.
- I exited the game, relaunched it, and it worked fine. I've since installed Arkham City, which launched properly and GFWL signed in without any trouble.
May not be a guaranteed solution, but it worked for me. I managed to get expanded information from a "BmGame has stopped working" error, which told me about the missing xlive.dll file. According to the GFWL installer, it only needed to download the Windows LIVE ID Sign-In Assistant and the 3.5 .NET framework because the other two necessary elements are included with Windows 8, so I uninstalled what I could find to force reinstallation from the GFWL installer. I'd be interested to know if this does or doesn't work for anyone else.
Last edited by Dinasis; 11-18-2012 at 02:05 AM. Reason: Updated for Arkham City