Dota 2 > General Discussions > Topic Details
-ezl- ҉҈҉҈҈҉҈҉҈҉҈҉҈ Feb 1, 2013 @ 12:47pm
Issues with racist players
Hey guys, I'm from Malaysia and I've been playing Dota 2 for a year plus now.

And one of the most uncomfortable part of the game is the amount of racist players out there. These racists are REALLY downgrading the game and sparks aggresive/abusive replies from other players of different ethnicity. I've encountered A LOT of racist players (from Malaysians the most, sadly) and I really hate it when I encounter such player.

I really try to avoid to converse or chat with these kind of people but recently these 'racists' players are blooming!
Humans are born with limits, the same applies with freedom of speech.

For me, racists and abusive players are REALLY HEAVY offenders, it ruins the game as well as the harmony of multi-racial countries like Malaysia, etc.

I'm suggesting steam to have some sort of a permanent ban or 'jail' for these offenders, after proper investigations/racism reports. Such punishments will educate these racists to keep their racist opinions to themselves instead of being abusive in text chats.

The least you can do is, put up a new report button specifically for racists.

I really like this game, please do something about this.

-frustated anti-racism player
Showing 1-15 of 164 comments
< >
Donetra Feb 1, 2013 @ 3:08pm 
I dont really know what dou you mean, if you wanan say that everyone flame against the russia people, i dont understand you.
-ezl- ҉҈҉҈҈҉҈҉҈҉҈҉҈ Feb 1, 2013 @ 5:09pm 
I didnt say anything about specific group of people (._. ) i'm saying there are racist gamers in this game and some kind of punishment should be planned for these offenders. :)
Djisas Feb 1, 2013 @ 5:33pm 
I lost a winning match because both sides where having a flaming war while i was trying to play...

they where camped home and being farmed, i raced back home but drow killed me and our ancient, the enmy team was loosing for some time, but due to all the flaming drow won the game alone...

it was the only time though...

I havent had much problems with russians either...
Adventure Square Feb 1, 2013 @ 6:09pm 
Start by reporting racists. Text abuse -> type in "racism". Do it each and every time.

Yes, Valve could maybe do more about the problem, but you can at least do this much.

If they're particularly bad, put them on ignore. Hopefully in the future Valve can improve matchmaking so you don't have to play with people you have ignored.
Furlock O'Donnell Feb 1, 2013 @ 6:19pm 
I'll fully admit to hating Brazilians in LoL and Russians in Dota 2, and that's something I'm not proud of. I've tried to work on it every time I play.

I fully agree with you, as the Dota 2 community is already caustic enough WITHOUT the racist remarks. I think that a report feature specifically for racist and other derogatory remarks is a WONDERFUL idea, and should definitely be implemented.

I'm sorry that such a great game is being ruined for players that aren't "white bread American." I'd just like to say that I'm sorry for the way that so many people from my country behave. We're not all racist, xenophobic hicks, I promise.
Adventure Square Feb 1, 2013 @ 6:22pm 
Edit: I guess swears aren't cool on this forum.

Oh, I forgot.
Another thing you can do is avoid going crazy about it.

good: "racism isn't cool. stop and enjoy the game."
bad: "I HATE YOU YOU A******* STFU AND EAT A ****!"

if they escalate, just stop responding, or ignore. Feeding trolls is usually what they want.
Last edited by Adventure Square; Feb 1, 2013 @ 6:22pm
CryHavoc&LetSlipTheCreepsOfWar Feb 1, 2013 @ 6:27pm 
Originally posted by -ezl-:
Hey guys, I'm from Malaysia and I've been playing Dota 2 for a year plus now.

And one of the most uncomfortable part of the game is the amount of racist players out there. These racists are REALLY downgrading the game and sparks aggresive/abusive replies from other players of different ethnicity. I've encountered A LOT of racist players (from Malaysians the most, sadly) and I really hate it when I encounter such player.

I really try to avoid to converse or chat with these kind of people but recently these 'racists' players are blooming!
Humans are born with limits, the same applies with freedom of speech.

For me, racists and abusive players are REALLY HEAVY offenders, it ruins the game as well as the harmony of multi-racial countries like Malaysia, etc.

I'm suggesting steam to have some sort of a permanent ban or 'jail' for these offenders, after proper investigations/racism reports. Such punishments will educate these racists to keep their racist opinions to themselves instead of being abusive in text chats.

The least you can do is, put up a new report button specifically for racists.

I really like this game, please do something about this.

-frustated anti-racism player

I guess it is reportable under Text or Voice abuse, as Crinkles said. Encourage people from the other team and your teammates as well to report as there's a higher chance of Valve taking some action sooner if more people report in one match.


Originally posted by Furlock O'Donnell:
I'm sorry that such a great game is being ruined for players that aren't "white bread American." I'd just like to say that I'm sorry for the way that so many people from my country behave. We're not all racist, xenophobic hicks, I promise.

There are racists everywhere, don't worry, they're not exclusive to the US. I daresay Brazilian racists can be way worse than North American ones...
Last edited by CryHavoc&LetSlipTheCreepsOfWar; Feb 1, 2013 @ 6:28pm
-ezl- ҉҈҉҈҈҉҈҉҈҉҈҉҈ Feb 3, 2013 @ 11:36am 
Thanks for all your replies. But IMHO these racists deserve a heavier punishment instead of putting them on low priorities. Dont you guys think so? Racism is bad and Valve can always do something on fighting this issue.
AyaBrea Sep 23 @ 8:59pm 
i agree... they should add an option to report racist players
Bleh Sep 23 @ 9:12pm 
Who cares, I get flamed all the time, and I flame back, just dont take it seriously. Also, there are no limits to freedom of speech, thats the entirety of the concept.
Originally posted by Odin:
Who cares, I get flamed all the time, and I flame back, just dont take it seriously. Also, there are no limits to freedom of speech, thats the entirety of the concept.

I agree. but IMHO you can use the "freedom-of-speech card" to allow oneself spreading hateful and racist remarks. agree? <3
Dominus Oct 1 @ 11:00pm 
Mute them and pay no further attention. It can get really tricky to distinguish real reports from salty players reporting just because they can. Unfortunately, many people also love to play the 'race card' even when the scenario wasnt specifically racist in the tradional sense of the term.

I guess what Im trying to say, is that there really isnt all that much you can do against trolls/racists/griefers etc. until internet anonimity no longer exists, and Im sure none of us want that to happen, so just mute and ignore and it shouldnt bother you any further.
Last edited by Dominus; Oct 1 @ 11:00pm
el Grande Bastardo Oct 2 @ 12:48am 
Originally posted by -ezl- ҉҈҉҈҈҉҈҉҈҉҈҉҈:
Originally posted by Odin:
Who cares, I get flamed all the time, and I flame back, just dont take it seriously. Also, there are no limits to freedom of speech, thats the entirety of the concept.

I agree. but IMHO you can use the "freedom-of-speech card" to allow oneself spreading hateful and racist remarks. agree? <3

Not sure how you can spread hateful and racist remarks. If somebody is offensive it doesnt mean that all decent people on the server will imidiatelly convert to racism/hatred. If they do not, I dont see it as "spreading". One of the most important aspect of free speech is that everybody are free to speak, but you're free to ignore what they say :)

The "mute & ignore" is the best solution. Most of the time, those people aren't really racist. They either do it for fun because thats the easy way to cause some turmoil, or they do it cause they are angry and do not really think about what they say. If you will start a dispute with them, you are just gonna feed the trolls. If you will mute them, they will eventually starve from the lack of attention.
Persia Oct 2 @ 12:57am 
Some people might not be racists in general, but when you realize you are losing a game because of some big(we all do at least little ones) mistakes they did, you get mad and blame their race or ethnicity to make them feel ashamed or/and angry.

I have some russian friends but obviously in game I sometimes insult "you stupid russian", but it's not gonna change anything. They will never listen to your advice anyway.
Novice Troll Oct 2 @ 1:05am 
just report for communication
Showing 1-15 of 164 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50