【AXI☆】 Feb 27, 2013 @ 9:12am
We need a way to block mod servers.
Can I filter out local/listen servers entirely? Some mods are cool, but server admins usually add as many annoying mods as possible.
Last edited by 【AXI☆】; Feb 27, 2013 @ 9:13am
Showing 1-15 of 33 comments
< >
natedoggcata Feb 27, 2013 @ 9:52am 
Oh god yes please. The modded servers are so awful. I really dont see why someone felt the need to add the option to to get any item in the game at any time.
Bikes Feb 27, 2013 @ 11:19am 
It would be nice to add a option in lobby to go to vanilla only best dedicated. That way if they're needed because officials are down or something you don't need to waste time trying to find a server that isn't absolutely terrible.
Rain Feb 27, 2013 @ 11:43am 
If you enable the console and use "openserverbrowser" it will show your server history and you can add favorites thereby avoiding all modded servers.
(鮫) Derpy Sh4rk Feb 27, 2013 @ 8:57pm 
Attemping to care about people not liking the mods Admins choose to put on their servers....Attempt failed
Fletch Feb 27, 2013 @ 9:07pm 
Originally posted by Bikes:
It would be nice to add a option in lobby to go to vanilla only best dedicated. That way if they're needed because officials are down or something you don't need to waste time trying to find a server that isn't absolutely terrible.

This is the way forwards. I've lost track of how many games I've started and then quit immediately upon finding some freaky server.
DirtyHoeTel Feb 27, 2013 @ 9:29pm 
I agree non-officials server are pain in the ♥♥♥ with there mod
Bulldogs Feb 27, 2013 @ 10:43pm 
And here comes the official: "I don't know how to use official dedicated servers as a lobby option post"

Inform yourself how to use official servers as the server type option as lobby leader, if you then go and complain that you are auto joining a server and it was modded, guess whos fault that is?
Restless Feb 28, 2013 @ 6:41am 
Originally posted by C= Amiga:
And here comes the official: "I don't know how to use official dedicated servers as a lobby option post"

Inform yourself how to use official servers as the server type option as lobby leader, if you then go and complain that you are auto joining a server and it was modded, guess whos fault that is?

There are times where official servers are unavailable, whether due to high traffic, maintenance, or you're hosting a custom map. This is when the player MUST try to use best dedicated servers. It would be nice to avoid all the garbage modded servers with unlimited ammo and such. I tried to play a game on a custom map with friends the other day and we could not find a server that had our map and did not have mods on it that broke the game and made it unplayable.



Bulldogs Feb 28, 2013 @ 6:55am 
Originally posted by Restless:
Originally posted by C= Amiga:
And here comes the official: "I don't know how to use official dedicated servers as a lobby option post"

Inform yourself how to use official servers as the server type option as lobby leader, if you then go and complain that you are auto joining a server and it was modded, guess whos fault that is?

There are times where official servers are unavailable, whether due to high traffic, maintenance, or you're hosting a custom map. This is when the player MUST try to use best dedicated servers. It would be nice to avoid all the garbage modded servers with unlimited ammo and such. I tried to play a game on a custom map with friends the other day and we could not find a server that had our map and did not have mods on it that broke the game and made it unplayable.

Fair enough, i see that a bit - but atleast the 3rd party servers are running custom maps even if the one you get on isn't official.

Really i think valve won't implement any other filtering into l4d2 for clients, which is a shame (i assume if l4d3 comes along they will). The game really needs a server browser as standard like TF2 etc have, not rely on clients to force ip via cvars or such as it currently is in l4d2.

The only alternative (which isn't so bad) is that you run a local server - for 4 players in a custom campaign most home networks can handle that easily, it is when you want to host versus most home networks have issues with latency due to the hosts upload speed (or lack of it).


For now your best alternative is to rent a game server (8 slots a month costs about $10), and have it set to vanilla *official* settings - which it is by default and just join that server.
Last edited by Bulldogs; Feb 28, 2013 @ 6:57am
Restless Feb 28, 2013 @ 7:14am 
Left 4 Dead 2's menus are absolutely horrible. They hold back the game so much that Valve really should just change it so that we can see what servers are available to connect to first instead of asking the game to automatically pick a 'best' server for us. I don't understand how games like Unreal Tournament released over a decade ago can have better interfaces than Left 4 Dead 2 (server selection, Mutations, etc.,), but back then, you knew exactly what kind of game you were joining just by clicking on a server's name from a list.
Pure Mar 1, 2013 @ 2:11am 
is there a way so i can't join regular servers? ohh wait there is. i have a list of my favorite servers. derp. i find it funny people don't like mods when people are actually working on making the game better because vavle isnt adding to it. counterstrike used to be a mod
Bulldogs Mar 1, 2013 @ 3:30am 
Originally posted by Ricky:
is there a way so i can't join regular servers? ohh wait there is. i have a list of my favorite servers. derp. i find it funny people don't like mods when people are actually working on making the game better because vavle isnt adding to it. counterstrike used to be a mod

So was Team Fortress and day of deafeat, i find it funny how mods are frowned upon by a tonne of players these days.

But the UI for l4d2 and the lobby system is woeful - consolized as i call it, Valve could have and still can easily adopt a better one for PC users and leave the consoles UI the way they are, it would stop a lot of ppl jumping on to a modded server saying the typical emo "OMG modded server wtf, where are my 1 million medkits".
Restless Mar 1, 2013 @ 6:39am 
I fully recognize the power of mods and community created content. All you have to do is mention DotA.

The difference is some mods are fun, some mods aren't. I do not enjoy joining a server where I have unlimited ammo, improved guns, 500 health, unlimited bombs, movement while incap'd and have 7 other people on Survivors. I don't need a class system, I don't need a leveling system, I'm not here to play an RPG.

I do wish there were more confogl and promod servers though. Wouldn't mind if all Versus mode servers were completely replaced by confogl or promod. Then public games might be playable. For now, the only modded servers I will play on either restrict weapons to tier 1, reduce item spawns, or have effects similar to Hard Eight/Special Delivery. Things that make the game more difficult without making it more convoluted or complicated.
Last edited by Restless; Mar 1, 2013 @ 6:40am
Bulldogs Mar 1, 2013 @ 8:26am 
That is the sad part - the good mods / server plugins or custom variables get classed by majority as bad due to some crazy ones a few servers run, i never understood modding survivors to make them more powerful (they are OP as it is) same with buying items or spawns etc but some ppl like it so i just don't play on those types of vs games.

I do however like reduced spawn times for SI, and less medkits or none and i also like limiting tier 2 weapons and or remving them i also like making the tank more powerful (in general i like a challenge as a survivor, vanilla just doesn't offer that balance and then you get elevator fixes and stuck by tank punch fixes etc the modding community offer for SRCDS (Source dedicated servers) and fixes for exploits etc in the game that only modders fix.

But yeh i guess im off topic here, but my point is some modded servers are overkill, some are not - it gets tiring seeing ppl make a blanket statement that all modded servers are bad though is all, when that is not true.
Bikes Mar 1, 2013 @ 9:11am 
Originally posted by C= Amiga:
That is the sad part - the good mods / server plugins or custom variables get classed by majority as bad due to some crazy ones a few servers run, i never understood modding survivors to make them more powerful (they are OP as it is) same with buying items or spawns etc but some ppl like it so i just don't play on those types of vs games.

I do however like reduced spawn times for SI, and less medkits or none and i also like limiting tier 2 weapons and or remving them i also like making the tank more powerful (in general i like a challenge as a survivor, vanilla just doesn't offer that balance and then you get elevator fixes and stuck by tank punch fixes etc the modding community offer for SRCDS (Source dedicated servers) and fixes for exploits etc in the game that only modders fix.

But yeh i guess im off topic here, but my point is some modded servers are overkill, some are not - it gets tiring seeing ppl make a blanket statement that all modded servers are bad though is all, when that is not true.

The problem is most servers that you get randomly matched in arn't like these. Don't get me wrong I love modding, Morrowind was one of the earlier real PC games I played and I spent tons of time messing with that, but most random L4d2 servers have such stupid mods, I was on a server the other day that claimed to add tension, but all it did was buff up both the survivors and infected and add in a bunch of dumb stuff (smoker lightning which kicked in randomly, charger turning (So blatantly OP that it's hilarious) Survivors being able to spawn equipment at will) it was just so horribly balanced, but worth a laugh since for some reason our lobby kept getting directed to it despite being set to official. Plus a lot of servers have XPM which IMO is the dumbest thing you could possibly add to this game.
Showing 1-15 of 33 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Feb 27, 2013 @ 9:12am
Posts: 33