Teh Am Jan 4 @ 10:05am
Make L4D2 free to play (p.s. thanks for rendering both Left 4 Dead games worthless)
Let me just say before any trolls start spamming this thread -- this is NOT another "give me a refund" thread. This is a thread asking Valve to give this now free-to-play game out to everyone and stop selling it for the false value of £14.99.

Before I start, let me just say something: as the above title states, I'd just like to thank Valve for rendering both Left 4 Dead 1 and 2 worthless. Left 4 Dead 1 was dead enough as it was before they were giving L4D2 away -- could barely find more than 10-20 active servers after Valve ported all the L4D1 maps to L4D2. Now it's closer to 3-8 and they are either full or half dead 1-man games.

The best part is they've burned their chance of making any more money with this franchise -- anyone buying L4D2 will take one minute to check reviews/forums, see that it was given away for free and not bother buying it -- and since all the content from L4D1 was ported to L4D2, that's an even more worthless game now.

The worst part is they could've given away L4D1 as a teaser -- a demo, if you will, which would've revived both L4D1's player base and up their sales of L4D2 for people who liked it and wanted more of the same. More money for Valve, more players for a nearly-dead multiplayer game -- everyone wins. Nope -- too much sense in that, instead let's give away their most played best selling SP/MP game and put the final nail in the coffin of their classic game that started it all.

Actually, scratch that -- the very worst part is that they're still trying to mug money from this now free to play game out of people who won't know any better. Valve -- you decided to give this game away for free -- FINE. I spent a good £20 (if I remember correctly) on this game way back in 2010, and got my money's worth out of it several times over (almost 900 hours). I couldn't care less now that its free and no, I'm not going to moan at you for a refund. But don't try to scam less knowledgeable people out of their money from a soon to be free-to-play shooter (TF2 all over again). There are lots of people on my friends list (and everyone else's I'm sure) that were away during the holidays, to whom I couldn't even gift the game thanks to the limits you put in place.

Valve -- YOU decided to give this game away for free -- so give it away. Implement whatever real-world-trading, virtual-crap-buying incentive system you want, like you have with TF2. Just do it fast before you make another several thousand ♥♥♥♥ed off customers that got burned for paying for YOUR game, to which YOU'VE placed false value at this moment in time. If not, at least have the decency of either

-donating the money (at least SOME of it) made from this game over the holiday period to charity
-giving some sort of in-game incentive for people who payed for this game (at least last year) before you make another several angry mobs' worth of customers who will boycott anything you sell and who will keep your customer services pretty busy this year with refund demands.
Showing 1-13 of 13 comments
< >
square nothing Jan 4 @ 10:09am 
FIRST do the better lobby system THEN make it free.
Teh Am Jan 4 @ 10:13am 
Originally posted by efpies:
FIRST do the better lobby system THEN make it free.

Agreed, although as a temporary way around this you can use the console command to open the server browser and join that way-- can't remember it exactly but you might want to look it up.
The Eleventh Hour Jan 4 @ 10:14am 
Valve is trying to make money m8, that's all.

They don't give a dam about left 4 dead 1, they buried that game the way they engineered left 4 dead 2 in the first place.

They even had the nerve to put TF2 as a game under the *specials category, although the thing has been like this since 2010.

They have no problem for making it free for a while. These guys are all about money.

THAT IS WHY PRICES FLUNCTUATE, NEVER MAKE THE MISTAKE OF THINKING ABOUT ONE PERMANENT PRICE. They like to do this loop thing with their games. They even did it in consoles with Orange Box, they're money making skim is to pretend they are a specials beast.

Like the guy in my avatar said, SHOW ME THE MONEY.
Last edited by The Eleventh Hour; Jan 4 @ 10:27am
Mr.President™ Jan 4 @ 10:17am 
Dayum.... didn't acutually think that this thing was an accutal problem
MunkeyThrust Jan 4 @ 10:23am 
I thought it was: "SHOW ME THE MONEY!"
The Eleventh Hour Jan 4 @ 10:27am 
It is munkey, my mistake.
Dr. White Jun 7 @ 3:34pm 
Originally posted by Teh Am:
Let me just say before any trolls start spamming this thread -- this is NOT another "give me a refund" thread. This is a thread asking Valve to give this now free-to-play game out to everyone and stop selling it for the false value of £14.99.

Before I start, let me just say something: as the above title states, I'd just like to thank Valve for rendering both Left 4 Dead 1 and 2 worthless. Left 4 Dead 1 was dead enough as it was before they were giving L4D2 away -- could barely find more than 10-20 active servers after Valve ported all the L4D1 maps to L4D2. Now it's closer to 3-8 and they are either full or half dead 1-man games.

The best part is they've burned their chance of making any more money with this franchise -- anyone buying L4D2 will take one minute to check reviews/forums, see that it was given away for free and not bother buying it -- and since all the content from L4D1 was ported to L4D2, that's an even more worthless game now.

The worst part is they could've given away L4D1 as a teaser -- a demo, if you will, which would've revived both L4D1's player base and up their sales of L4D2 for people who liked it and wanted more of the same. More money for Valve, more players for a nearly-dead multiplayer game -- everyone wins. Nope -- too much sense in that, instead let's give away their most played best selling SP/MP game and put the final nail in the coffin of their classic game that started it all.

Actually, scratch that -- the very worst part is that they're still trying to mug money from this now free to play game out of people who won't know any better. Valve -- you decided to give this game away for free -- FINE. I spent a good £20 (if I remember correctly) on this game way back in 2010, and got my money's worth out of it several times over (almost 900 hours). I couldn't care less now that its free and no, I'm not going to moan at you for a refund. But don't try to scam less knowledgeable people out of their money from a soon to be free-to-play shooter (TF2 all over again). There are lots of people on my friends list (and everyone else's I'm sure) that were away during the holidays, to whom I couldn't even gift the game thanks to the limits you put in place.

Valve -- YOU decided to give this game away for free -- so give it away. Implement whatever real-world-trading, virtual-crap-buying incentive system you want, like you have with TF2. Just do it fast before you make another several thousand ♥♥♥♥ed off customers that got burned for paying for YOUR game, to which YOU'VE placed false value at this moment in time. If not, at least have the decency of either

-donating the money (at least SOME of it) made from this game over the holiday period to charity
-giving some sort of in-game incentive for people who payed for this game (at least last year) before you make another several angry mobs' worth of customers who will boycott anything you sell and who will keep your customer services pretty busy this year with refund demands.
or what we could do is make a demo like the xbox 360 demo which made you do the first 2 levels of the parish and you could go online so instead of making of making it f2p we could go that route, do you want little kids jabbing in your ear with their ANNOYING AS ♥♥♥♥ voices and cocky attitude and they thinking they're pro?
mclean.ben Jun 7 @ 3:49pm 
Uh, guys, the reason TF2 can be free to play is microtransactions, but L4D2 has official mod support and that means no microtransactions (at least not of the kind TF2 has) and that means no free to play.
Dr. White Jun 7 @ 3:51pm 
Originally posted by mclean.ben:
Uh, guys, the reason TF2 can be free to play is microtransactions, but L4D2 has official mod support and that means no microtransactions (at least not of the kind TF2 has) and that means no free to play.
yeah but if they went the xbox 360 demo route im pretty sure people would buy l4d2 id they saw what the game was like
Ninjabutter Jun 7 @ 5:49pm 
I'm glad this got bumped up from 5 months ago.
♥.:Mrs. McButt:.♥ Jun 7 @ 7:02pm 
Originally posted by Ninjabutter:
I'm glad this got bumped up from 5 months ago.
Yea i used to lose sleep thinking of how this thread would slip into darkness never to be seen again.
TTD187 Jun 7 @ 7:13pm 
Seriously? Isn't this game almost always on offer at 75% off? There's no problem with them giving this game away for free for a couple days. It boosts overall steam sales, not just for this game as the news would allow the people to see the other mass expenses saved from mass sales.
L4D was going to be a dead game after a while because it was boring, what Valve did by putting those maps into L4D2 with all the original settings available was something made for the people. Valve was thinking about people and you're ♥♥♥♥♥ing about it because you paid more money, yet you're trying to hide how you feel by saying people should still pay for ♥♥♥♥ in game.

What I say to you is: Aww diddums.
Dr. White Jun 7 @ 7:14pm 
Originally posted by TTD187:
Seriously? Isn't this game almost always on offer at 75% off? There's no problem with them giving this game away for free for a couple days. It boosts overall steam sales, not just for this game as the news would allow the people to see the other mass expenses saved from mass sales.
L4D was going to be a dead game after a while because it was boring, what Valve did by putting those maps into L4D2 with all the original settings available was something made for the people. Valve was thinking about people and you're ♥♥♥♥♥ing about it because you paid more money, yet you're trying to hide how you feel by saying people should still pay for ♥♥♥♥ in game.

What I say to you is: Aww diddums.
look at that something we both agree on
Showing 1-13 of 13 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Jan 4 @ 10:05am
Posts: 13