Nixxo Mar 26 @ 7:44pm
So, please explain this too me! (Story)
I've been playing this game for little over 300 hours and I have zero clue about any story in it besides maybe a very thin red thread about them going from one viechle to another... Am I missing something? Sure, I have bascially not heard a word of anything the surivors have said ever because I always play with the game volume off because I listen music or some podcast or something instead. But they don't say anthing else besides OH it's over her, HELP, Spitter, TANK ect... Sure sure, I saw that Bill had sacrificed him self for the group. But that isn't a story! That just, well I don't even know what it is...

So my question is, is there any hidden true story in the game? Where they are going, what coused the outbrake, WHAT is the outbrade (A virus or something stupid supernatural crap? [Well technically it's petty much stupid either way]), who was what and where beofore eveything happend. How did they meet ect...

Is it maybe on the walls? I've actually never read those things... Anyway, if you have the time please answer if you know. And ofcourse what the story is all about.
Showing 1-13 of 13 comments
< >
Restless Mar 26 @ 8:01pm 
This game is not an RPG at all, whatsoever. It is solely an FPS and is entirely designed to test your FPS skills and your ability/willingness to work as a team. There is a reason why there is no emphasis at all on plot. That said, the game does have a very thin plot line if you pay attention closely and care about canonical lore.

The original survivors start off in Philadelphia and work their way down towards Louisiana, where they meet the L4D2 survivors. The outbreak is your run of the mill zombie virus. The military has no idea how it was caused, they just know that it can be airborne and it is highly contagious. Its just your average B-movie plot. There is no deeper plot that you need to be aware of. Zombie virus outbreak, unhelpful military, every man for themselves survival mode. The 4 survivors met randomly in Philadelphia shortly after the outbreak, and each of them has some brief backstory that can be read in comic form

www.l4d.com/comic

Character's Backgrounds:

Zoey is a college student who ends up shooting her own father after he shot her mother.
Bill is an old dog of war who is at a veteran's hospital for a routine procedure.
Louis works IT at some company, and is very tech-savvy.
Francis is about to go to jail


We don't know much about the L4D2 survivors, but again, this is done on purpose because this game is not about the story whatsoever. It is solely about FPS skills. There is more story behind Pac-Man than Left 4 Dead.
Last edited by Restless; Mar 26 @ 8:03pm
Poyo-San Mar 26 @ 8:16pm 
I like that, I really like that. ^^
Soreasan Mar 26 @ 8:49pm 
L4d2 does have the focus on the arcade experience, but a lot of the story is in the saferoom graffiti and the conversations you hear as you go through, and the comic expands a lot more on the actions of the millitary and their emotions (Read it from the site at http://www.l4d.com/comic/comic.php?page=1 )

Summary: Two weeks prior to the story the world was being infected with a new virus, one that was nicknamed the "Green flu". At first CEDA tried to help the infected and study them to find a cure, hoping that their hazmat suits would protect them. Over the weeks some of the infected began to mutate into "specials" and overwhelmed them. The people paniced and CEDA started ordering people to build saferooms to live in, and others to evaculate or fight their way out of the city.

The millitary stepped in and tried to control the situation by calling in airstrikes to bomb the buildings and bridges, and tried to keep the infection from spreading by killing entire towns of people who were suspected of being carriers of the dieases.
At this point of the story, you are one of the groups of still living survivors trying to fight your way from checkpoint to checkpoint riding escape vechicles, fighting hordes of zombies, and also to survive.
Last edited by Soreasan; Mar 26 @ 8:56pm
[†]Munkee_King[†] Mar 26 @ 9:48pm 
I wouldn't mind if Valve would make videos (like meet the "insert class" for tf2).
To show their backstories.

even if they dont have much of a story, would be nice.
daniu -TLG- Mar 27 @ 1:14am 
Originally posted by Restless:
There is more story behind Pac-Man than Left 4 Dead.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7oadchZMYA
SCamp Mar 27 @ 3:39am 
Payday: The Heist has a backstory to the No Mercy campaign.

The Payday Gang hit No Mercy Hospital a short time before L4D to get a blood sample of a Patient 0 for the virus. The military calls an airstrike on the building during the heist.
Nixxo Mar 27 @ 5:37am 
Originally posted by Restless:
This game is not an RPG at all, whatsoever. It is solely an FPS and is entirely designed to test your FPS skills and your ability/willingness to work as a team. There is a reason why there is no emphasis at all on plot. That said, the game does have a very thin plot line if you pay attention closely and care about canonical lore.

The original survivors start off in Philadelphia and work their way down towards Louisiana, where they meet the L4D2 survivors. The outbreak is your run of the mill zombie virus. The military has no idea how it was caused, they just know that it can be airborne and it is highly contagious. Its just your average B-movie plot. There is no deeper plot that you need to be aware of. Zombie virus outbreak, unhelpful military, every man for themselves survival mode. The 4 survivors met randomly in Philadelphia shortly after the outbreak, and each of them has some brief backstory that can be read in comic form

www.l4d.com/comic

Character's Backgrounds:

Zoey is a college student who ends up shooting her own father after he shot her mother.
Bill is an old dog of war who is at a veteran's hospital for a routine procedure.
Louis works IT at some company, and is very tech-savvy.
Francis is about to go to jail


We don't know much about the L4D2 survivors, but again, this is done on purpose because this game is not about the story whatsoever. It is solely about FPS skills. There is more story behind Pac-Man than Left 4 Dead.

Thanks..

I know that it's not an RPG, like I said I've been playing the game for over 300 hours so yhea.. The only thing that made me even question a story is because some people seem to know some backstories of some of the people.. Then I though maybe I've missed something and the whole story is like in some kind of easter egg format like the "story" in Zombie mode in the Call of duty games.
cease Mar 27 @ 6:11am 
Originally posted by Nixxo:
So my question is, is there any hidden true story in the game? Where they are going, what coused the outbrake, WHAT is the outbrade (A virus or something stupid supernatural crap? [Well technically it's petty much stupid either way]), who was what and where beofore eveything happend. How did they meet ect...

Is it maybe on the walls? I've actually never read those things... Anyway, if you have the time please answer if you know. And ofcourse what the story is all about.

You want a meaning ?? You know what happened. A virus outbreak (actually in Mercy Hospital), som became infected, some are immune/carrier and try to still survive. They are all the time running around because the heard or read that there are safezones ahead.

Besides that ... read the comic !
Nixxo Mar 27 @ 7:05am 
Originally posted by cease:
Originally posted by Nixxo:
So my question is, is there any hidden true story in the game? Where they are going, what coused the outbrake, WHAT is the outbrade (A virus or something stupid supernatural crap? [Well technically it's petty much stupid either way]), who was what and where beofore eveything happend. How did they meet ect...

Is it maybe on the walls? I've actually never read those things... Anyway, if you have the time please answer if you know. And ofcourse what the story is all about.

You want a meaning ?? You know what happened. A virus outbreak (actually in Mercy Hospital), som became infected, some are immune/carrier and try to still survive. They are all the time running around because the heard or read that there are safezones ahead.

Besides that ... read the comic !

First off I don't want any meaning! I am not harping on the game for not having story.. I am asking if I maybe missed something..
[†]Munkee_King[†] Mar 27 @ 11:33am 
Originally posted by SCamp:
Payday: The Heist has a backstory to the No Mercy campaign.

The Payday Gang hit No Mercy Hospital a short time before L4D to get a blood sample of a Patient 0 for the virus. The military calls an airstrike on the building during the heist.

You know, the hospital is called Mercy Hospital right? lol.
I doubt anyone wouldgo to place called No Mercy XD
BlackMilk Mar 27 @ 12:08pm 
Originally posted by Nixxo:
I've been playing this game for little over 300 hours and I have zero clue about any story in it besides maybe a very thin red thread about them going from one viechle to another... Am I missing something? Sure, I have bascially not heard a word of anything the surivors have said ever because I always play with the game volume off because I listen music or some podcast or something instead.
I don't wanna be that guy, but it looks like I'm going to.

Can I just ask what (if anything) you're doing to counter the issue of not hearing special infected before they attack? I'm just curious because I see a lot of people get into trouble with special infected even when they clearly announce their presence long before they show their ugly, bloated faces.
Having the captions enabled helps but that doesn't warn for all the infected, or sometimes not quick enough.
Do you have addons that make them more visible or something? Do you play low difficulties only? Do you prefer playing versus mode, and as infected?
Or perhaps you mostly play singleplayer?

Not attacking you here, for all I know you're ten times better a player and teammate than I am. I just want to know.
Nixxo Mar 27 @ 2:00pm 
Originally posted by Gorgeous BlackMilk KIWF:
Originally posted by Nixxo:
I've been playing this game for little over 300 hours and I have zero clue about any story in it besides maybe a very thin red thread about them going from one viechle to another... Am I missing something? Sure, I have bascially not heard a word of anything the surivors have said ever because I always play with the game volume off because I listen music or some podcast or something instead.
I don't wanna be that guy, but it looks like I'm going to.

Can I just ask what (if anything) you're doing to counter the issue of not hearing special infected before they attack? I'm just curious because I see a lot of people get into trouble with special infected even when they clearly announce their presence long before they show their ugly, bloated faces.
Having the captions enabled helps but that doesn't warn for all the infected, or sometimes not quick enough.
Do you have addons that make them more visible or something? Do you play low difficulties only? Do you prefer playing versus mode, and as infected?
Or perhaps you mostly play singleplayer?

Not attacking you here, for all I know you're ten times better a player and teammate than I am. I just want to know.

NP, I understand your question...
I have only tried VS mode a couple of times and I don't really like it.

I use captions mostly. I play mostly on advanced and normal diffictulty (coop online). I don't use any kind of mods that enhance the vision of special infected. Sure, I use some mods but those are just simple weapons retextures that dosn't change anything.
I have only cleared 1 of the 5 original maps on Expert and 3 of the once they added from L4D1.

I am far from the best player but I can hold my own and be helpful even on advanced difficulty. Sure, I agree that if I used sound more I would probably hear the special infected comming long before I can actually see them. But I rather listen to some music or some interesting podcast instead of being 10%+ more effective.

Play with me some time and see:)
Last edited by Nixxo; Mar 27 @ 2:03pm
cease Apr 2 @ 7:55am 
Originally posted by Nixxo:
I use captions mostly. I play mostly on advanced and normal diffictulty (coop online). I don't use any kind of mods that enhance the vision of special infected.

I am far from the best player but I can hold my own and be helpful even on advanced difficulty. Sure, I agree that if I used sound more I would probably hear the special infected comming long before I can actually see them. But I rather listen to some music or some interesting podcast instead of being 10%+ more effective.

If you use sound right it's a lot more than 10% IMO.

You're missing out on much but since you only play on Normal or Advanced then never mind - we'll never meet :)

Last edited by cease; Apr 2 @ 7:55am
Showing 1-13 of 13 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Mar 26 @ 7:44pm
Posts: 13