UnselectedNature Aug 10 @ 4:21pm
Bullet Delay
In multiplayer, my bullets hit the zombies, but they do not react until 1 second has passed. This has been bothering me for a while, and I thought that if I posted a discussion in here, some people could help me to figure out this problem.
Showing 1-15 of 15 comments
< >
Lambda Aug 10 @ 4:22pm 
Isn't it due to the server ? :/
UnselectedNature Aug 10 @ 4:22pm 
no
EV5858 Aug 10 @ 4:39pm 
I believe this is just part of the gameplay because i too experience this myself, but it is not a problem for me. whenever i shoot them blood squirts but no reaction till a second later.
Last edited by EV5858; Aug 10 @ 4:40pm
Ninjabutter Aug 10 @ 4:52pm 
I only see that in high-ping games. It's effectively an instant reaction if my ping is low.
Beat Monkey Aug 11 @ 1:39am 
Yeah, it's probably your ping. If you know you have decent internet, you might want to check the download location the game is set for. The closer to the area you live in that it's set to, the lower your ping will be because this setting also tells the game which area to search for servers in.

Although, just to be sure, here's a question. Does this delay happen in single player or if you've hosted the server?
Last edited by Beat Monkey; Aug 11 @ 1:40am
JennT Aug 11 @ 6:39am 
Originally posted by Beat Monkey:
Although, just to be sure, here's a question. Does this delay happen in single player or if you've hosted the server?

Sorry, total newbie here, what do you mean by hosting a server and how I can do it?
I've just created lobbies so far ;), I'm experiencing the same issues in multiplayer.

Thanks
Engerston Aug 11 @ 9:08am 
Originally posted by Jenny_T-Type:
Sorry, total newbie here, what do you mean by hosting a server and how I can do it?
I've just created lobbies so far ;), I'm experiencing the same issues in multiplayer.

Thanks
Hosting a server means creating a server, local in this case... It can be used to play on LAN, or to create server with mods on, witchout any special programs (you have this option in game, if you are creater of the game, you can change type of server in Lobby)
Big_Jojo_大周周 Aug 11 @ 10:14am 
This is a high latency and/or connection quality problem. A zombie isn't dead unless the game server says so. For example, you fire a bullet at an active zombie. This action is sent to the game server. At this point the zombie is still active and moving. The server verifies that the shot hit the zombie and is a successful kill, then sends a death confirmation to all connected clients in range (yourself and others playing). Only when your computer receives the confirmed kill from the server does the zombie fall down. All of this takes some time to happen, of course. Note that ping is only half the issue. You can have a low ping (<50ms) but still have problems with packet loss that will also cause delays.

You can also observe this problem with the charger. You can plow THROUGH a target, then a half second or so later the charger picks up the body you previously passed through. While annoying, it's better than how older games like Quake 3 used to handle things. You could see a muzzle flash from a rocket launcher or fired gun, but then couldn't see the projective or bullets ricochet immediately after firing. It was very distracting. Multiplayer network code is all about trying to minimize the perceived delay between the clients and the server, but the delay can't be eliminated via software.
JennT Aug 11 @ 10:48am 
Originally posted by Engerston:
Originally posted by Jenny_T-Type:
Sorry, total newbie here, what do you mean by hosting a server and how I can do it?
I've just created lobbies so far ;), I'm experiencing the same issues in multiplayer.

Thanks
Hosting a server means creating a server, local in this case... It can be used to play on LAN, or to create server with mods on, witchout any special programs (you have this option in game, if you are creater of the game, you can change type of server in Lobby)

Thanks, this was very helpfull.
So, when I locally host a game there's no delay for me anymore,however, while playing in official and best available dedicated servers I got delays on firearms and melee atacks and other crazy things.
Engerston Aug 11 @ 10:54am 
Originally posted by AP_Team:
Thanks, this was very helpfull.
So, when I locally host a game there's no delay for me anymore,however, while playing in official and best available dedicated servers I got delays on firearms and melee atacks and other crazy things.

Always check your ping, at local server it should be 1 (max to 5), higher the ping equals more laggy game.
You should be able to play confortable to ping up to 150, but you can easly play even with almost 200... I can't say you critical point, 'cuz I have pings only between 60-100, 150-200 and over 500 which is terrible (half of second of delay or more)...
As Beat Monkey said, try to change your download location to the nearest one to you:
Steam >> Settings >> Download >> Region of Downloading (or something like that)
Last edited by Engerston; Aug 11 @ 10:56am
ok i see u bruh Aug 11 @ 11:07am 
Fix your rates and try not to play on servers where you have a high ping.
JennT Aug 11 @ 10:13pm 
Originally posted by Engerston:
Always check your ping, at local server it should be 1 (max to 5), higher the ping equals more laggy game.
You should be able to play confortable to ping up to 150, but you can easly play even with almost 200... I can't say you critical point, 'cuz I have pings only between 60-100, 150-200 and over 500 which is terrible (half of second of delay or more)...
As Beat Monkey said, try to change your download location to the nearest one to you:
Steam >> Settings >> Download >> Region of Downloading (or something like that)

sorry for my ingorance, how do I check my ping?,
My download location is set to my country (Chile), so I already have set nearest location =)
Kisses ;)
Builder, Texas Man Aug 12 @ 1:05am 
Originally posted by AP_Team:
sorry for my ingorance, how do I check my ping?,
My download location is set to my country (Chile), so I already have set nearest location =)
Kisses ;)

Ping is displayed in the in-game tab menu. The game will display a connection quality bar graph and a number beside that, that number is your ping in milliseconds (ms). The lower the ping, the better.
Beat Monkey Aug 13 @ 5:02am 
Also, your ping will show as a color. Green bars are a good solid connection(preferred), orange(still good enough to play but you might start to experience gaming stutter, delayed reaction time from game and the like) or red(avoid it if you can as there will be more often than not a ton of stutter, delay and whatnot in gameplay).
JennT Aug 14 @ 11:06am 
Originally posted by Captain Caboose:
Originally posted by AP_Team:
sorry for my ingorance, how do I check my ping?,
My download location is set to my country (Chile), so I already have set nearest location =)
Kisses ;)

Ping is displayed in the in-game tab menu. The game will display a connection quality bar graph and a number beside that, that number is your ping in milliseconds (ms). The lower the ping, the better.

Aaahh thanks ;*

Originally posted by Beat Monkey:
Also, your ping will show as a color. Green bars are a good solid connection(preferred), orange(still good enough to play but you might start to experience gaming stutter, delayed reaction time from game and the like) or red(avoid it if you can as there will be more often than not a ton of stutter, delay and whatnot in gameplay).

Thanks, on my little experience I mostly get red bars with anything but locally hosting a server T_T but in gameplay it doesn't seem so bad ;), it feels like the situation you describe for the orange bar connection.

Kisses

Showing 1-15 of 15 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Aug 10 @ 4:21pm
Posts: 15