I just thought I'd roll up the various issues people have had with the game and offer some solutions to them.
- Ultra uses DX9 where Classic uses DX8. Make sure you have DX9c or later: http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=35
BH Crashes / resets on start up:
- Try disabling the Steam overlay. (Uncheck the box next to "Enable Steam Community In-Game" in the game settings in Steam)
- Set up a pref command and run in a window. Try this command first: CustomRez 1 800 600;
- The games will crash if you have AmBX running in the background. (Disable this and it should be fine)
- You can also try this: Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\beat hazard. Then go to beat hazards properties and select the compatibility tab, there tick the "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings" option.
BH stuck on loading screen:
This is where the game is trying to load your save game from the Cloud, there are a number of possible fixes:
- Steam cloud support must be turned on for BH (Go to steam, then Steam+Settings then Downloads+Cloud and there enable Steam Cloud)
- Try playing a game with Steam in offline mode. Then play online. This can cause a re-sync and fix it
- Try deleting the file BeatHazardSongSave.sav (This will be somewhere in your appdata/roaming folder)
- It could also be a corrupt save (see next comment)
BH crashes after loading screen:
This could be a corrupt save game.
- Set up a pref command file ( http://steamcommunity.com/app/49600/discussions/0/882960080238317839/
) and use the ResetMySongSaves_NoReally; command.
If this doesn't work, try the NewSaveGame; command
Remember to remove these commands once the game is working again.
- Delete the files in the '[user]/appdata/roaming/Beat Hazard' folder. You can find this folder by typing %appdata% in to a file browser window.
Preparing to launch, but never does:
- Could be that Steam is down, check the stats to see if there's a dip in the graph
- Exit Steam & re-run & delete & re-install BH.
- Try running the game direct from the Steam apps folder, you might get a better error
BH sometimes minimizes
- A reboot can fix this most of the time
- If you have mIRC, GlovePIE, TwitDeck running, try turning these off.
- Try closing Firefox
Music volume 'ducks' when I blow stuff up
- This is caused by windows automatically trying to 'protect' your speakers. It happens when the combined volume of the music & the SFX exceed a preset level. Try turning the music and SFX volumes down to 3 or 4 and turning up your speakers to compensate.
If none of these work, the game can output debug text that can help me track down the problem. To do this, set up a pref file and use the WriteDebug; command. The output will be in the Steam apps/Beat hazard folder and it's called DebugMsg.txt
Let me know if I've missed anything. I'll keep this first page up to date.