Nali Warcow - Birthday' Apr 16, 2014 @ 7:53am
Why is combat mode going standlone?
There's only two visitied servers with about 40-70 unique players playing that mode.

How the hell does this contribute to being 'succesffull'. ?

So just another money grab UWE?
:/

This is what, year 1 of combat on ns2 and you allready decide we need the money?
Last edited by Nali Warcow - Birthday'; Apr 16, 2014 @ 7:54am
Showing 1-15 of 26 comments
< >
Hobocop Apr 16, 2014 @ 11:07am 
The team behind the actual Combat Mod are the developers, BTW, and they can't afford to keep updating that mod full time for no pay. In a total playerbase of 800 max, having a large gameplay mod that's played by ~10% of those players on a regular basis makes it successful. No other custom gameplay mode can really come close to making that claim.

A standalone codebase means they don't have to worry about any changes to the code when UWE updates NS2. This is one of the most painful things about making mods for NS2, especially when your mod is as complex as Combat Mode is. UWE's name is on standalone Combat as the publisher because Faultline Games is still using the Spark Engine, and that's UWE's property.
Nali Warcow - Birthday' Apr 16, 2014 @ 11:14am 
Originally posted by Hobocop:
The team behind the actual Combat Mod are the developers, BTW, and they can't afford to keep updating that mod full time for no pay. In a total playerbase of 800 max, having a large gameplay mod that's played by ~10% of those players on a regular basis makes it successful. No other custom gameplay mode can really come close to making that claim.

A standalone codebase means they don't have to worry about any changes to the code when UWE updates NS2. This is one of the most painful things about making mods for NS2, especially when your mod is as complex as Combat Mode is. UWE's name is on standalone Combat as the publisher because Faultline Games is still using the Spark Engine, and that's UWE's property.
This is not a large gameplay mod...

Sure it changes gameplay somewhat, but its actually a small mod.

Also, You're right, no other 'game mode' went stand alone. But total conversions which 1000+ players did.

Thats alot more then combat has.

combat only has 40 to 70 unqiue players.

Thats it.

Thats why its not responsible. Uwe's actually funding CM to gain more reveneu themselv, and ismply because they own NS IP.
Hobocop Apr 16, 2014 @ 12:14pm 
What's irresponsible about licensing deals using proprietary codebases?

Nothing.

At all.

It's called business. Faultline Games wants to get paid doing what they enjoy so they can continue to do so. They saw an opportunity with all of the work they've already done on Combat Mode.
RaZDaZ Apr 16, 2014 @ 12:27pm 
The reason why combat hasn't flourished is because the development of the mod got abandoned in favour of standalone. This resulted in a broken mod that lagged every few seconds, had game breaking glitches and ♥♥♥♥ poor maps. Even as a broken mod it had enough players to stay alive.

Combat is also significantly more casual than the main game. We all know that casual stuff sells like hotcakes. It's safe to assume that combat mod COULD become more popular than the actual NS2 mode itself and at least become successful for the developers. It is also in UWEs best interests as this promotes their game as well.

As Hobo already said, combat standalone will be independent from updates added to NS2.
Last edited by RaZDaZ; Apr 16, 2014 @ 12:29pm
Jackson @ Australia Apr 16, 2014 @ 7:51pm 
Current combat mod is ♥♥♥♥. If I can get a proper combat mod for like 5 bucks, with real maps, no lag, no issues, a competitive version ... I would buy it.

I'm glad to play combat mod, because this trains your pure skill (aim / dodge / position), and focus only on combat, which is not the main part of NS2 but is still essential and contributes to the fun.
Nali Warcow - Birthday' Apr 16, 2014 @ 10:53pm 
Originally posted by Hobocop:
What's irresponsible about licensing deals using proprietary codebases?

Nothing.

At all.

It's called business. Faultline Games wants to get paid doing what they enjoy so they can continue to do so. They saw an opportunity with all of the work they've already done on Combat Mode.
I didnt say it was legally wrong.

I siad it was wrong in the decission making. Whats hard to understande those differences>

CM could of gotten updated on regular basis w/o requiring a standalone relaease :/

The only reason it promotes NS2, is because its published by UWE. ;/
Last edited by Nali Warcow - Birthday'; Apr 16, 2014 @ 10:53pm
Hobocop Apr 17, 2014 @ 12:10am 
There's...nothing wrong about their decision making. Did you completely ignore what I said about how difficult it is to keep gameplay mods up to date every time NS2 gets a patch? Combat Mod team decided that they couldn't continue working on it as much as they had been for free only to have their work broken every time NS2 got updated, so they formed Faultline Games and made an agreement with UWE to sell a standalone version.

What makes you more qualified to say that their decision was right or wrong? They're the ones with their fingers in the code actually doing the work.
Last edited by Hobocop; Apr 17, 2014 @ 12:20am
Nali Warcow - Birthday' Apr 17, 2014 @ 1:23am 
Originally posted by Hobocop:
There's...nothing wrong about their decision making. Did you completely ignore what I said about how difficult it is to keep gameplay mods up to date every time NS2 gets a patch? Combat Mod team decided that they couldn't continue working on it as much as they had been for free only to have their work broken every time NS2 got updated, so they formed Faultline Games and made an agreement with UWE to sell a standalone version.

What makes you more qualified to say that their decision was right or wrong? They're the ones with their fingers in the code actually doing the work.

Fact: Playerbase of CM is to small

Fact: MP modding has been going since what 20 years?

Fact: Patches broke mods, which got eventually fixed. Just because mods go standalone, doesnt make it any easyer. Infact, It makes stuff harder. I learned that when I was working on Tactical Ops...

Fact: A ton of mods that went retail, actually hada playerbase worth of going retail.

Fact: UWE is publisher - Has the final say,.

Fact: UWE wants money for NSL.

Fact: Faultline wont get alot of revenue. The most stuff still goes to UWE since UWE are funding faultline,.

i do also like to notice you I worked on Tactical Ops.

This was a mod for UT that went stand alone, and no, I am not talking about Crititcal Point which was originally called Tactical Assault )TO3) which wasnt even a part of the original TO team.

We justified the reason because TO had a 1000+ playerbase that time in the competitive scene.

We didnt go and publish a mod that had 70 players. :/
Hobocop Apr 17, 2014 @ 1:58am 
Well, you can go read their reasoning here. Pretty much exactly what I said.

Lots of people who tried the core NS2 game mode and didn't like it because of it's complexity probably don't even know Combat exists. Who's to say that they wouldn't pick it up if it was it's own product?

Besides that, times have changed since the days of UT. Digital distribution platforms like Steam have made it miles easier for smaller teams to get their projects noticed.

http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/comment/2192864/#Comment_2192864
Last edited by Hobocop; Apr 17, 2014 @ 2:12am
Nali Warcow - Birthday' Apr 17, 2014 @ 2:08am 
Originally posted by Hobocop:
Well, you can go read their reasoning here. Pretty much exactly what I said.

Lots of people who tried the core NS2 game mode and didn't like it because of it's complexity probably don't even know Combat exists. Who's to say that they wouldn't pick it up if it was it's own product?

http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/comment/2192864/#Comment_2192864
I know they say 'there' reasoning but its not ahrd to see through the hidden curtain why they would do this.

They could of hyped the combat mod at least instead. It wasnt that bad. Lag also happenent regulary on normall NS2 game eitherway.
Hobocop Apr 17, 2014 @ 2:11am 
They could have, but they chose not to. Because they want to work up to making games full time and not just make mods to existing games for free. It's the same route UWE took when moving from NS1 to NS2.

I don't see why this is so hard to understand.
Last edited by Hobocop; Apr 17, 2014 @ 2:15am
Chris (Banned) Apr 17, 2014 @ 6:12am 
Microtransactions at work.
Nali Warcow - Birthday' Apr 17, 2014 @ 6:53am 
Originally posted by Hobocop:
They could have, but they chose not to. Because they want to work up to making games full time and not just make mods to existing games for free. It's the same route UWE took when moving from NS1 to NS2.

I don't see why this is so hard to understand.
UWE did not make that path. Infact, NS2 was originally to be a standalone source game...
vape with honour Apr 17, 2014 @ 5:34pm 
Because Natural Selection 2 is a consumer product, and the primary reason people make consumer products is to make a profit.

Another cool thing about consumer products - in this case, a video game - is that if you market them, you can expand the customer base beyond what exists.
vape with honour Apr 17, 2014 @ 5:35pm 
Another cool thing about launching a consumer product based off a prototype is that you can add more features to it, to make it a more appealing product to the consumers.
Showing 1-15 of 26 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Apr 16, 2014 @ 7:53am
Posts: 26