Dean478 Mar 14, 2014 @ 2:40pm
Who Is Responsible?!
I bought this game a while ago on Steam Sale and I only now went to register with UPlay to find it will not work.

After several (less than useful) discussions with Ubisoft, they told me to contact Steam for a replacement key.

Steam (again less than useful since they couldn't understand this was not a retail purchase) has now told me I must contact Ubisoft to have the STEAM KEY replaced?!

This is a joke! Both parties are trying to pass off responsibility. So who exactly is reponsible here?!

Showing 1-15 of 39 comments
< >
Johnny Spoiler Mar 15, 2014 @ 7:06am 
heroes 6 was not so good,,, Disciples 3 come first and have alot from hereos 6. I like Disciples 3 more. skip the game and buy Disciples 3: Reincarnation
Last edited by Johnny Spoiler; Mar 15, 2014 @ 7:14am
protista123 Mar 15, 2014 @ 8:38am 
Sorry you are experiencing problems. I would try deinstalling the game (remove local content) for Heroes VI, deinstall Uplay, delete Uplay folder. Reinstall Heroes VI, allow Uplay to reinstall and update, and try to re-enter the Steam CD key (cut and paste is best), but if you cannot be sure to type the key exactly as shown. Check that caps lock is off. Make sure you are using the Heroes VI Gold key which is provided by steam when you purchased the game. I am also assuming you have already created an account with Uplay. Try deinstallation/reinstallation and see if Uplay will accept the steam Key re-entry. Hope this helps! If you are playing Heroes VI Gold, make sure you are using the Heroes VI Gold Key, as three or four separate keys will be displayed in the "Show CD Key" window.
Last edited by protista123; Mar 15, 2014 @ 8:40am
Dean478 Mar 15, 2014 @ 8:40am 
Originally posted by protista123:
Sorry you are experiencing problems. I would try deinstalling the game (remove local content) for Heroes VI, deinstall Uplay, delete Uplay folder. Reinstall Heroes VI, allow Uplay to install and update, and try to re-enter the Steam CD key (cut and paste is best), but if you cannot be sure to type the key exactly as shown. Check that caps lock is off. Make sure you are using the Heroes VI Gold key which is provided by steam when you purchased the game. I am also assuming you have already created an account with Uplay. Try deinstallation/reinstallation and see if Uplay will accept the steam Key re-entry. Hope this helps!


Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately Ubisoft Support confirmed the key itself is invalid and I require a valid replacement. And that's where the trouble starts because one party accuses the other of being responsible. :/
protista123 Mar 15, 2014 @ 8:50am 
I can sympathize with your frustration, as it would seem you are in a Catch 22 situation, similiar to a checkmate in chess! I hope Steam will help you, and provide a replacement key which is valid. Once you get the game going, it is awesome, and will be worth all the trouble you are having presently. Good luck with getting your game registered!
Gavener Mar 15, 2014 @ 10:24am 
i had a invailded key problem to and i did as Pro said delete everything try again, couldnt hurt
Dean478 Mar 17, 2014 @ 1:56am 
I tried those options but to no avail. :/


And after contacting Ubisoft Support again recently, after being instructed so by Steam because they do not re-issue keys "ubisoft does": I have now been told to contact Steam (AGAIN)....

So it seems since both parties are going to send me back and forth between each other, I'll be forced to seek advice from Victoria Consumer Affairs here in Australia.

This is EXTREMELY disappointing as I'm a complete Steam fan boy! I've even purchased games I already own from retail on Steam JUST to have them here.

And I'm extremely frustrated with STEAM GAMES requiring UPlay and Ubisoft Accounts....

Never before have I had such a terrible experience with Steam.
Last edited by Dean478; Mar 17, 2014 @ 1:56am
protista123 Mar 17, 2014 @ 6:18am 
I'd have to say that I too am a "fanboy" of Steam, having purchased 29 different games through them in the past 5 years. Personally I have always been pleased with their customer support, and am sorry about your current situation. Does Steam have a customer support phone number you could call? I'd try to contact them again, and ask to speak to a supervisor. Explain your situation, and hopefully you will get some assistance. When I had a problem, I received a free program, so I know it is possible. Good luck and godspeed! You will still be required to go through Uplay with Heroes VI, but you are certainly justified in asking for a valid key for the content access your purchased.
Last edited by protista123; Mar 17, 2014 @ 6:20am
Soul Mar 18, 2014 @ 11:25pm 
You could always contact your bank and do a charg back, then re-purches the game.
I would inform Steam before you do it tough as it is something you can get banned for, but it would give you a new key :P
And yeah the 3rd party bs sucks, took me acouple of days to get trough it, but now I have played 445 hours :D
Dean478 Mar 18, 2014 @ 11:39pm 
A further update. Steam have provided a pretty technical response just recently. It turns out that this is Ubisoft's issue because according to Steam, you get one key per account. If they were to refund the game, and I purchase it again, they'd issue the same key I received last time.

That makes sense.

Now Ubisoft have told me my issue is "being investigated further" after I refused to accept the support person's 3rd repeat of their previous statement and asked for someone senior. :/
Soul Mar 18, 2014 @ 11:43pm 
Originally posted by Dean478:
A further update. Steam have provided a pretty technical response just recently. It turns out that this is Ubisoft's issue because according to Steam, you get one key per account. If they were to refund the game, and I purchase it again, they'd issue the same key I received last time.

That makes sense.

Now Ubisoft have told me my issue is "being investigated further" after I refused to accept the support person's 3rd repeat of their previous statement and asked for someone senior. :/
Hope they solve this soon mate.
Dean478 Mar 21, 2014 @ 5:08am 
Still under investigation by Ubisoft, as of 17 March 2014.... still waiting to play my game. :/
pulse_ Mar 21, 2014 @ 5:36am 
i found this one maybe helps

If you bought the gold edition, you'll have to enter the third (gold) CD key and only that! It activates ALL purchased add-ons immediately. As an result of this, I can start those in game, too.

Furthermore, turn off the proxy for uplay (see the tool's settings) and add these lines to your hosts file (given you are using Windows, google for it if you don't know where to find it):

87.248.214.183 static3.cdn.Ubi.com
95.140.224.199 static2.cdn.Ubi.com
87.248.214.183 static1.cdn.Ubi.com

For me (with those lines in the hosts file even before I began to install), the whole installation went VERY smoothly. Once done, it started about half a dozen updates for the uplay sofware (took less than 10 minutes for all of them - with a DSL 2000 connection).

The game asked for the key only once and I entered only the one for "golden", et voilà - everything seems to work here thus far. The CD key was copypasted by the steam funcion (chose the correct golden key, then press the "copy key"-button).
Dean478 Mar 21, 2014 @ 5:44am 
Originally posted by Faultron:
i found this one maybe helps

If you bought the gold edition, you'll have to enter the third (gold) CD key and only that! It activates ALL purchased add-ons immediately. As an result of this, I can start those in game, too.

Furthermore, turn off the proxy for uplay (see the tool's settings) and add these lines to your hosts file (given you are using Windows, google for it if you don't know where to find it):

87.248.214.183 static3.cdn.Ubi.com
95.140.224.199 static2.cdn.Ubi.com
87.248.214.183 static1.cdn.Ubi.com

For me (with those lines in the hosts file even before I began to install), the whole installation went VERY smoothly. Once done, it started about half a dozen updates for the uplay sofware (took less than 10 minutes for all of them - with a DSL 2000 connection).

The game asked for the key only once and I entered only the one for "golden", et voilà - everything seems to work here thus far. The CD key was copypasted by the steam funcion (chose the correct golden key, then press the "copy key"-button).

I appreciate the in-depth response. This was my initial problem, then I quickly figured out which key to use.

But according to Ubisoft, before they "investigated further" it turns out my CD key is invalid because it's already in use.

I have access to my UPlay account right now, I can tell you right now the only game on it is Assassin's Creed 2. :/
hcoop111 Mar 25, 2014 @ 3:21pm 
just dodgey all around....
Dean478 Mar 25, 2014 @ 3:50pm 
Still waiting for Ubi to reply... I asked them for an update as it's been 7 days since they told me they were investigating. I also quoted the Steam Support Ticket (as Steam Instructed me so).
Showing 1-15 of 39 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Mar 14, 2014 @ 2:40pm
Posts: 39