As most of you know, the "join game" multiplayer feature doesn't work. It will bring up the "find game" screen but the list will be blank even if there is someone trying to host a game. Last night user jxt09 and I messed around with multiplayer and figured out how to get it to work. Here is what you need to do to get a game going:
- 1. You and the person you want to play with need to be on each others friends lists.
- 2. Both you and the person you want to play with need to already be in the game.
- 3. Both of you need to select the same multiplayer game mode. Either "Versus" mode for a generic character or "Versus Hero Battle" to play as one of your own characters from your single player game.
- 4. In "Versus" mode both of you should select your class. In "Versus Hero Battle" both of you should select the specific character you want to play as and then hit "continue."
- 5. One of you should then hit "Create" and choose your hero level/maximum level and the length of the turn timer. You can leave the "filter" setting alone.
- 6. The same person who hit "Create" in step 5 should now hit "Create" again and then hit "Invite Friend."
- 7. Select "invite" next to the person you are trying to play with (after they have completed steps 1-4) and hit "return to game".
- 8. The person you invited will receive a popup invitation in the bottom right corner of the screen or at the top of the chat window if you have one open.
- 9. Upon clicking the invite that popped up, their name will be added to the "Player 2" slot.
- 10. The person who sent the invite should now click "start".
- 11. Have fun playing multiplayer.
Some other things we figured out:
- Inviting someone who is not already in the game will not work. They will get the invite popup but upon clicking it the game will start and then sit there forever at the "waiting for gamestate" window until the person who sent the invite closes the invite window.
- Inviting someone who has selected a different multiplayer mode will not work.
- Inviting someone in "Versus Hero Battle" who has not selected a character to play will not work.
- Inviting someone in "Versus" mode who has not selected a character class will cause a random class to be selected.
If you are going for the "Bragging Rights" achievement you just need to win 5 games in multiplayer. You can win all 5 games against the same person.
If you don't feel like actually battling in multiplayer and just want to get the achievement quickly, do this:
- Both of you create a level 1 character in your single player world.
- Both select multiplayer and "Versus Hero Battle".
- One of you choose your level 1 character and one of you choose one of your higher level characters.
- The one who is doing the inviting should make sure the max level is set to 50, invite the other person, and start the game.
- Play 5 games. The level 1 should lose quickly.
- Once the person playing the higher level character gets the achievement they should switch to their level 1 character and let the other player beat them with their higher level character so that they can also get the achievement.