When I first started playing this game I couldnt get past the voice acting. Then as the depth of the game developed I slowly slowly learned to actually like it. I have to say that this is one of the most graphically stunning games I have gotten off of steam. It would be extremly nice if there were more games that catered to low system specs. I personally have been drooling over eve online for ages. But it is just out of reach for my system. From what I know of that game this game has allot to offer. The skill system in particular was very very interesting. Each character had certain abilitys the could trigger in combat. However these abilitys have a timer attached and can only be used so many times per mission. Anyway I have rambled on long enough, ohh and the ending wasn't as bad as some reviewers would have you believe. Granted it wasn't a 20 minute long cut scene or anything, but it did provide a measure of closure.
12 of 14 people (86%) found this review helpful 1 person found this review funny
27.9 hrs on record
Posted: July 5, 2015
Wall, hmmm, what's to say
This game is a mistake. while SW 1 and 3 are decent, this one is not (and the Creators relized that I guess, because SW3 story starts where SW1 finished ) You can sure travel around the galaxy, but it does not help as it is mostly empty. And the main quest is probably worst of it. No much story to speak of, and when it was fially finished the main indication of the fact was that you were thrown bac to the starting screen.
This game is like the unfinished version of the first SW. It copies most things from the old game and invents a single new idea of one "free to explore"-map. This idea combined with the technical problems breaks the game, therefore my advice is:
STAY AWAY FROM THIS GAME! (Btw, dunno why i spent 12 hours on this, maybe i searched for "something" good in this game, but well, couldve played it through in 8 hours or less...)
+ RPG Part -> Copy from SW1 Skill/Perk system is not very complex but functional, various paths can be used for skilling the characters. The different paths lead to a slightly different gameplay approach. Could be more complex, but works nice and is motivating.
- Fighters and Equipment On of the highlights in the first game, is now one of the problems. The "natural" progress is gone, you will start with Tier2, grind around some time and -tada- then you will be Tier 4. Natural progress? NOPE.
- Combat You would expect this to be the same as in SW1, but you have more KI problems, less designed missions and nearly no enemies. Boring.
- Story There is nothing you can call story. Just some "main missions" without any sense. They look like the random missions. Not much difference. You cant compare this to SW1, it had WAY better missions and story.
- Presentation and Controls Still like the old but way more problematic...
- Bugs Way more problems then SW1 - For me personaly it only crashed one time but had alot of KI bugs - Funny as the space is nearly empty compared to SW1...
---Free galaxy A system you can freely explore sounds good? Well, if all sub-systems are nearly empty its just plain bad. Usually 1 trading station (buy/sell gear/fighters) and 0-2 other stations per subsystem (they are only used for the random missions). If you are lucky also 1 trader or a wing of fighters. But usually all subsystems are empty... Still you have to fly around for this stupid random missions. There are only 3 types: Patrol, Destroy and Deliver. The involved subsystems are always random. For example, after you take the mission in a trading station: -> Fly to subsystem XY to start the mission(= you have to cross X maps usually without enemies) -> Mission is started, fly to subsystem YZ and kill/patrol/deliver (= again X maps, sometimes with a single random attack) -> If its kill/patrol, you now get your random encounter (you dont even need your figthers, mothership is way to strong) -> Go back to subsystem XY for reward (OMG). The good? thing, some of this missions (without enemies, just long, boring travel on empty maps) give 500k, so you go on highest tier pretty fast...
A quite good Sequel despite his harsh start (fighting Aliens in the second Main mission! WTF?) and a quite empty and lifeless Universe. Oh, and voiceacting is awful. But if you are patient and frust resistant enough, the Game rewards you with great and challenging, sometimes brutal Battles ( at least in the Main missions).
1 person found this review helpful 1 person found this review funny
16.2 hrs on record
Posted: November 19, 2015
If you don't speak Russian feel free to skip this title as it has absolutely abhorrent voice acting with absolutely no emotion and no emphasis of punctuation.
It is just read line by line and is absolutely
Furthermore the Russian campaign contains significantly more voice files that simply don't exist in the English localization.
Lastly, when I played this game vanilla, I was unable to unpause the game with spacebar. However after applying the Russian patch that was fixed. It seems that the Russian version had a patch the Enligsh one did not receive.
With all of that considered I suggest English speakers skip this title and play #1 and #3.
1 person found this review helpful 1 person found this review funny
10.4 hrs on record
Posted: February 29, 2016
A quick word about this game, there are bugs, it did not get completely finished. The voice acting is terrible. The story isnt brilliant. Know what you are getting into before you buy. You will need multiple save files, and to save at each stage of a mission in a new file.
However, the gameplay is good and fun. I have played Sw 1 and 3. Therefore i know roughly what is going on. If you are presistent, and enjoy this type of game it is worth your time, knowing the above.
I thoroughly enjoyed SW 1 and 3, but cannot say the same for SW 2. It feels rushed, full of bugs or unbalanced features (e.g. generic missions with rewards in ten thousands of credits and poof - one of them, completely uninteresting, with reward of 0.5M). Main missions are much worse balanced than in SW1. It is possible to free roam, but there is absolutely no reason apart of fulfillment of boring generic get and fetch or kill all enemies missions),.. All the good features were already in SW 1, so go play that - or SW3 - instead.
This "Star Wolves 2" had potential to be a good game like SW1, but in reality is FAR inferior to "Star Wolves 1"! Despite it seemingly being almost indentical, seemingly using the same code, it is a lot buggier and less stable than "SW1"!
- It crashes to desktop occassionally. "SW1" NEVER did that once. - Frame rates slow down in places enough to be noticably jerky! Even on a gaming PC (a budget one I admit), yet this game should not even tax the weakest non-gaming laptop! "SW1" always maintained well over 100, 200 even FPS! "SW2" drops to below 15 FPS! - It also appears to go slower and slower and slower the further you progress! - Ship pathfinding, especially around other large ships and stations is AWFUL. It was ropey on "SW1", but what the ♥♥♥♥ have the programmers done in "SW2"? This meant to be somekind of improvement? Your fighters get completely stuck, often even crashing in stations, even the Star Wolf itself, ten times more than in "SW1"! "Star Wolf" also gets stuck on Trade Stations constantly! - The new "open world, sandbox" style doesn't work, I believe it does in SW3 but it DON'T in SW2, all you get is hours of gameplay consisting of just travelling from one system to another to another. - The "random jobs" you can get from stations give you from 2,000 to 20,000 credits. But some simple, non-challenging (though long and boooooooring) delivery missions give you over 500,000!!!!! Exploiting these a few times means you are so rich, you may as well have used Cheat Engine to "fiddle your accounts"! That definately must be a mistake! - Many cut-scenes are broken, the camera just endlessly spins around and around the Star Wolf, with no text, dialog, nothing. Of course you can manually skip out of these, but I'm sure you miss a lot of the game's plot texts as a result! - Voice acting has been improved a little, at least! Despite what you may read elsewhere around here!!!!! Honest it is better than SW1! - English translations seem better as well, though SW1 was also good for a Russian made game..... Russian <-> English is a difficult conversion it seems!
I have been getting some pleasure out of this title, so far, but as I get further, it seems to be getting slower and more laboured. I'm thinking it may become unplayable before I finish it.....? Let's just say the game is getting old, real quick!
WHAT IS THIS 8ULLSHIT? I HAVE finished it - and the ending is a "humanity destroyed you lose" ending!!!!! WHAT UTTER 8OLLOCKS IS THIS?