Domino Oct 30, 2012 @ 10:30pm
Things you should know before buying Dead Rising 2 for PC
1. The controller support is ♥♥♥♥ed. Literally. Some people have gotten the game to work with the controller by using some 3rd party emulator, but I refuse to do that. So expect to play this with a mouse and keyboard.

2. There are some weird framerate "jitters" even on high end hardware... but overall it ran about 40-50 FPS on my core i7 quad and GeForce 580m on max settings. This is basically a sloppy port, just like every Capcom PC title, and so expect your framerate to do random ♥♥♥♥. Good job Capcom.

3. Games for Windows Live is pretty much a hate-crime. If you hate Games for Windows, you're going to hate Dead Rising 2. It does work though, just like Arkham City.

4. There are random crashes. Tried playing with my friend and the game crashed for both of us at the same time - so it's obviously network related. I doubt capcom gives two ♥♥♥♥♥ about patches or fixing this game as it's obviously a sloppy console port (Why do you even bother, Capcom?)
Showing 1-15 of 30 comments
< >
DEADPOOL™ "HAIL HYDRA!!" Oct 30, 2012 @ 11:08pm 
Can anyone else confirm these claims or are they not as widespread as Domino makes them sound? Mainly concerned with 360 controller support.
Lovelocke 64 Oct 31, 2012 @ 3:45am 
If the #1 concern on ANY PC title is -controller- support, you -should- go buy a console version. It's better "for you" anyway. Some folks can hit 80 words per minute accurate without looking because, basically, we've been doing it since we're five. I have never (outside of emulation) once discredited a title based solely on the fact THE WHOLE THING CAN'T BE CONTROLLED WITH EIGHT BUTTONS!

Everything else, Games for Windows Live - I will just NOT buy this game then. Crashes, that's every game ever. Your framerate issues are because you are running the game on MAX settings! It's improved effects over the CONSOLE hardware, but certainly never optimized for PC.
Armoured Reaper Oct 31, 2012 @ 8:55am 
That is harsh, I downloaded this over getting a copy for my xbox, as I have a high end pc and wanted to see it running in it's full glory....and the fact it was labelled 'controller enabled' made up my mind..

In my mind if steam have titles up saying certain features are incorporated...then surely people have a right to be annoyed that they have been misled?

As for the other claims I have no idea, as not keen on playing a game like this with mouse and keyboard...

If anyone can post any fixes on how to get the controller support going...would be much appreciated.
Armoured Reaper Oct 31, 2012 @ 9:16am 
If you are having issues with controller support, found this link..follow the instructions and works like a charm...

http://daveden.wordpress.com/2012/01/10/how-to-get-your-gamepad-to-work-with-dead-rising-2-for-pc/
DEADPOOL™ "HAIL HYDRA!!" Oct 31, 2012 @ 9:46am 
I'd like to thank Lovelocke for the unsolicited lecture on what I should and shouldn't do when it comes to something as insignificant as how I go about my entertainment. Really Loveloke, if a complete stranger's personal preferences in gaming are as rage inducing as you've made it seem, then you need serious therapy or at the very least need to make it a point to reevaluate your priorities in life. Whether an individual just likes using a controller on particular types of games or that someone may have a disabled family member who enjoys the diversity of PC gaming while finding it easier to use a handheld controller as opposed to a bulky keyboard and mouse is none of your damn business. Besides, I never said I didn't want the other issues confirmed, you d*uche. But hey, get right up on that soapbox and make it known how much of a d*ck you are. No skin off my back, lol.

As a huge proponent of PC gaming, an amature PC builder for the past 10 years, an active member of an online gaming clan for the last 5 years, owner of over 300 PC titles on Steam alone... I think I have every right to want to know if a game I want, on the platform I want can be played the way that I want. So seriously, you can GFY.

I'm not too concerned with the framerate jitters because I've dealt with simiar issues in a few titles and while not optimal, it's still usually on par or better than the console versions of the same title.

While I've been aware for quite some time how much people hate GFWL, I've personally never had an issue with it.

If the random game crashes are co-op/network related, I'm not concerned seeing as I plan on enjoying the game solo.


Thanks for the actual HELPFUL information UK360.
the_belldog Oct 31, 2012 @ 10:25am 
What exactly does running GfW entail here? Is it more or less the same as RE5? If I don't care about co-op can I run it without fear of my connection dropping?
[Push-Start]geekscanbecool Oct 31, 2012 @ 11:55am 
Just wanted to say I have zero problems other than it crashes when I close the game.

Wired Xbox controller works without issue.
Frame rate never drops for me.
GFWL is present and annoying.

No troubles my end. So it's not everyone unlike OP would have you believe.
Domino Oct 31, 2012 @ 11:56am 
Originally posted by the_belldog:
What exactly does running GfW entail here? Is it more or less the same as RE5? If I don't care about co-op can I run it without fear of my connection dropping?

My friend and I tried playing for several hours last night and the connection dropped (AKA we got a message saying "Waiting for partner" or whatever multiple times. Both our connections were fine... it was just Games for Windows ♥♥♥♥ing up.

and to everyone else... I don't care if I'm on a PC or a TI-83 calculator, if the game says "controller support" it should support controllers out of the box. As it stands, my Razer Onza is not being detected, and my friend with a wireless Xbox 360 controller wasn't able to get his working either. It's just sloppy on the part of Capcom... I have indy games for 4.99 that can at least get the controller support right.

and yes, I understand that a lot of my framerate issues are probably because I'm running max settings. I tried disabling AA and tweaking with the settings, but my framerate was fairly constant. Like I said before, the game is very playable... but I do see a hiccup in my framerate now and then.
Armoured Reaper Oct 31, 2012 @ 2:42pm 
I have the odd frame rate issue..but it is down to code..as have a Radeon HD 7970 and I5 core pc..

It runs BF3 on Ultra setting so this game should not be an issue.
pooleythebear Nov 6, 2012 @ 5:07pm 
I'll just say it. I am running an i52500k cpu with 6950 amd GPU 2gb. I have no issues with this game at all. Other than live being annoying the game works perfectly fine for me. I don't think these issues are that widespread. I use a controller and the game is fine and plays normally. I also play co-op which works fine and I have no random crashes.
💩 John Crichton 💩 Nov 8, 2012 @ 10:35am 
Have to emphasise the issues raised by the OP.

You should know it uses GFWL - this causes various issues - go through the forum and you might find a solution that works for you.

Your average controller has issues - if you like to use one, you might be out of luck.

Just things to think about before you buy.
Pixel_Pro Jan 28, 2013 @ 1:41pm 
Bump

Originally posted by Domino:
1. The controller support is ♥♥♥♥ed. Literally. Some people have gotten the game to work with the controller by using some 3rd party emulator, but I refuse to do that. So expect to play this with a mouse and keyboard.

2. There are some weird framerate "jitters" even on high end hardware... but overall it ran about 40-50 FPS on my core i7 quad and GeForce 580m on max settings. This is basically a sloppy port, just like every Capcom PC title, and so expect your framerate to do random ♥♥♥♥. Good job Capcom.

3. Games for Windows Live is pretty much a hate-crime. If you hate Games for Windows, you're going to hate Dead Rising 2. It does work though, just like Arkham City.

4. There are random crashes. Tried playing with my friend and the game crashed for both of us at the same time - so it's obviously network related. I doubt capcom gives two ♥♥♥♥♥ about patches or fixing this game as it's obviously a sloppy console port (Why do you even bother, Capcom?)
☥Fox☥ Mar 4, 2013 @ 3:39pm 
X padder for your controller issues.

Not that big of a deal, and real easy to use. NEVER had a problem with xpadder.

Zefar Mar 4, 2013 @ 10:23pm 
1: You got a mouse and keyboard on PC which are infinitively better than a gamepad while playing on PC. The mouse and keyboard controls are also just fine. So this is a none issue really.

2: I don't recall there being framerate issues when I played it. Also Capcom hasn't exactly made that many bad ports. Most of them are pretty good.

3: It works for me and it doesn't cause problems for me. Only time you really use it is to invite people to your game.

4: My brother might have crashed a few times but he has a graphic card problem. I don't recall crashing in the game.
Ōkami Mar 4, 2013 @ 11:11pm 
Originally posted by Zefar:
1: You got a mouse and keyboard on PC which are infinitively better than a gamepad while playing on PC. The mouse and keyboard controls are also just fine. So this is a none issue really.

2: I don't recall there being framerate issues when I played it. Also Capcom hasn't exactly made that many bad ports. Most of them are pretty good.

1. Welcome to the 2010s, we like our PCs as entertaintment centers plugged into massive wall TVs, it might be a non issue for you, but for the rest of us is, really.

2. Capcom does what the rest of cheap console publishers do, as an straight port to PC as possible, they care about the money grab, nothing more.
Showing 1-15 of 30 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Oct 30, 2012 @ 10:30pm
Posts: 30