Indsendt: 23. januar
DISCLAIMER: I am reviewing the completely vanilla, unmodded version of this game. I have heard there are many great mods, but my first playthrough was without any.
This game really was a joy to play. From the awesome world and the terrifying encounters, to the unintentionally hilarious vodka overdoses and the cheeki breeki-ing, I really ♥♥♥♥ing liked it. The game has been compared to Fallout and other RPG post-apocalyptic survival games, but I like to classify it as it's own type of game. A game where the unknown frightens you and you are left fighting for survival where it seems everything is out to get you. The specifics of what I liked and disliked are recorded in the following paragraphs.
THINGS I LIKED:
1.First of all, this game has something really special, and equally hard to describe. To put it simply, the world seems to be alive in a way I haven't felt in many other games. Let me paint a picture: You come back to an outpost after a hard day of fighting bizzare mutations and equally bizzare bandits and sit down the fire by a complete stranger playing the guitar. As night falls, you enjoy a diet sausage and a bottle of vodka around the open fire in silence, treasuring these moments of peace. This is what I really love about this game. That is about the only way I can describe it. The feel of the world is Just sublme.
2. The core gameplay feels very solid. Guns kill suprisingly quickly and gunfights feel very tense, as if you are actually fighting for your life.
3. The story is presented in a unique and fascinating way. You must learn about your world and what is happening through the PDAs of dead stalkers and dialogue with living ones. The story is subtle and leaves a lot up to speculation, in a way similar to Dark Souls, which I absolutely love.
4. Lastly, the game runs like a pro. Kind of a big deal if your computer is utter ♥♥♥♥, like mine.
That's what I liked, now here are the things that I kind of disliked (nit-picking ahead)
1. There are a few bugs, which can be expected from a game of this age, although I have read that the majority of them can be fixed with various mods.
2. Guns in the beginning are extremely inaccurate. This isn't necissarilly a con, but expect to be missing about 90% of your shots from anywhere over 20 meters until you find something that isn't a Kalashnikov variant.
3. The graphics aren't great. I say this, but the dull graphics kind of add to the game's gloomy mood. Again, if they aren't for you, there are a plethora of mods.
4. I like to pretend that the multiplayer doesn't exist.
CONSENSUS: I love this game. It is one of the most unique experiences that I have been a part of in a while. Whilethere are a few problems, I plan on playing through again with one of the many overhaul mods, which I heard can provied an even better experience. Will definately be checking out Call of Pripyat and Clear Sky.
NOTE: Helps if you speak Russian. Not a must, but adds to the immersion and authenticity.