Indsendt: 20. april
I used to hate this game, really I did. But
I decided to give it another chance, and, I motherfudging love
Can't beleive I used to hate this game to be honest, I just love how the mechanics work and the general gameplay is enjoyable.
The general disaproval of my original review (that was negative, bashing the game for the wrong reasons) persuaded me to give it another go, and I'm glad I did.____________________________________________________________Pros:
- Cheeki Breeki.
- Great combat.
- Good ladder physics (I hate using ladders in the normal valve game, I'll slip and fall down to my death, or get gravely injured 9 times out of ten, but I never got screwed over by a ladder in this game before.)
- Fantastic weapons.
- Decent graphics.
- Cool storyline (I originally thought it was boring, but at the time I never really got too involved in the storyline in the first place, you need to actually be invested in the tale itself, to be willing to experience it, in order to enjoy the story.)
- Voiceacting is usually good, there are a few lines that are cheesy and a little underdone, but it's overall enjoyable.
- Clothing and armor systems are very well made, the fact that you have to scavenge and trade for armors or be naked against the vicious wastelands just adds to the tension, which I will get to later.
- Challenge: this was originally something I hated about the game, but I realised that living in a nuclear infested wasteland, in the middle of Northern Ukraine wouldn't be so easy. And it isn't.
- Tension: I constantly find myself with my face glued to the screen, focusing on capturing a bandits' base, or clearing a military site from all inhabitants. The general suspence of the story and action gives a good vibe and leaves you wanting more.
- Food mechanics: Usually games have an out of place or annoying way to tell you that you are litterally dying of malnutrition. Beeping, etc. There would normally be a huge bar or meter that takes up 50% of your hud and just sits there ticking away, dangling over your head.
While SoC likes to just display a tiny window telling you to eat. And when you eat, it goes away. Simple.
- Scare Factor: I originally disliked the scare factor and claimed it wasn't scary at all, but
that was before I got into the underground levels. My seat has the urination of 7+ underground levels soaked into it.
- First impression: First time I played this game I just looked at the begining cutscene, uninterested, unhyped.
I didn't even pay attention to it, I just critisized and gawked at the old graphics and continued on my marry little way.
But I never analyzed it for what it was, and now that I have I give it a good rating.
- Questionable physics engine, Props, corpses and objects will slide and bump around sometimes, breaking immersion and generaly being buggy.
- Silly and dumb AI. Usually I'll find bandits or military personel, mutants, friendlies, etc. Staring at walls, shooting ceilings, crouching for no good reason. Sometimes I'll see them killing themselves or other friends really for no actual reason, either. Other times they'll be shouting and screaming while crouched in a corner. The AI really act strange during combat, even not in combat as well.
Enemies, including mutants, will sometimes be in the middle of attacking me and suddenly not care, strolling in the other direction like nothing happened, in their normal voices and walking as if in a passive enviroment. Even during heated gunfights with other npcs, there will always be at least one guy strolling around like there arent grenades and bullets flying past his head.
One time. I started killing a few bandits near a fire, and as I offed them, the remaining 4 started shouting combat lines, shooting at me, flinching from gunfire, all behaving normally during a gunfight, as they should. Suddenly, they hostler their guns, turn around, and sit near the fire, singing, laughing, playing instruments, drinking vodka, eating sausages, talking to eachother and joking.
While I had just killed their entire squad in front of them
I proceeded to jump in front of them and they continued and even made eye contact with me, I shot one of them in the foot, ran in circles around them and they still never moved an inch. I got fed up and threw a grenade at one of them. They still continued to act idly as they shouted their grenade lines, still sitting down, exploded and died.
This is where the Review ends, my conclusion as that this is an overall great game, a strong
TL;DR section: Dis game is güd, now go buy it with money.