Leave your suggestions and I’ll be updating this post with any request that makes sense.
If we get any official confirmation or declination, I will quote it after every suggestion.
Things that are desperately missing or need to be changed.
0) Remove region lock.
There are not enough players for that. Or at least make servers’ population visible (maybe show most populated server), so we don’t have to blindly change “download region” in hopes of finding someone to race with.
We lose a lot of new players that don’t bother to read forums and ask for help.
Threads about “no sessions found” are being created on a daily basis.
We have looked into overriding this but found that it had a serious negative effect as the lag was introduced tenfold and it only had a detrimental effect.
There is no region locking as such (in the general sense), it's down to how Steamworks sets multiplayer up, as it looks to place you with players close to your geographical region.
1) Text chat.
1.1) Hotkey for things like “sorry” during a race would be great to tell the difference between an intentional ramming or an honest mistake. Text chat came very close to being included in the Community patch but unfortunately it just didn't work out. We'll keep investigating and seeing what we can do regarding that.
2.1) Online practice mode or Time Trial mode.
2.2) Or at least let us use upgraded cars in Single Player // by Tex-Rec
3.0) Balance cars (opened for suggestions specific to cars).
3.1) Scroll down for an ultimate car balancing suggestion from flyfacee
Why some cars have breaks upgrade before suspension and some after?
Some hopeless cars should be able to contain more upgrades before going to the next tier.
Grippy touring cars are so bad and not-appealing-to-use with these drift-2-win physics that they should either have their own tier(s) or be upgradable with the rest of the cars.
3.2) Agera should have its own tier just like Indy. I understand it takes some skill to master, but it’s overpowered like hell.
3.3) Introduce in Tier 5 Hennessey Venom GT, SSC Ultimate Aero TT, Dagger GT and similar super cars // by VQKibo
4.1) Force push2talk ON by default.
I love voice chat, but right now I have to mute most people so I don’t hear every sound they make (if they use speakers - it’s a disaster).
4.2) Give an option to mute people during a race or at “session results” or at “event entrants” screens.
4.3) Add “Mute voice chat” toggle hotkey.
4.4) “Friends only” default voice chat option instead of “Everyone” // by anezz
5.1) Global Challenges are now more like “Friend Challenges”, why do I have to visit Racenet website for *global* results?
5.2) At least add a link to racenet/challenges webpage inside the game // by DonSeismo
6) Look left/right when using bonnet cam should turn 90 degrees, not 45.
6.1) Rear/side view mirrors (by Annabell
7) Map overviews and map name when loading and in “session settings”.
7.1) Also while choosing a car. // by The grizzly
It is often annoying when you join right as the votes are over and you can only choose your car but cannot see the map that is coming up.
8) “Reset car” hotkey.
Right now I have to hit esc and navigate to “reset car”. Sometimes it’s greyed out and I hit “rules” in a hurry instead, losing precious seconds. Some people don't even know car reset is possible (evil grin), handy in Hardcore.
9) Derby mode in “Everything” playlist // by NY GAMER
9.1) It should be downloaded automatically.
9.2) Allow to use any car in Derby // by Aaphree
10) “Block list” // by [VQ]Kibo
Mark them with color and ignore voice chat?
11) Corner Cutting is way too aggressive at times.
Having 2 wheels on a curb should not be penalized.
12) All tracks should be free.
Why break up already small community?
Small things that would be nice to have.
1.1) Numeric values for topspeed, acceleration and handling (easier to compare cars).
1.2) Numeric values for exp.
2) Option to save replays after each race.
This will help to fight cheaters (or at least ban them), learn from the best and make great artwork/videos.
3) I’d love to have spoilers as new cosmetics.
4) Steering lock in “advanced wheel settings”.
5.1) Diversity in Global Challenges and more challenges.
I would like to see some variety at least for Checkpoint/Powerlap events:
- tracks AND locations shouldn't repeat until they all have been rotated;
- there should be circuit/sprint/city variety;
- if there are only 4 events dedicated to Checkpoint/Powerlap, all of them should be in a different tier.
5.2) Custom or *permanent* global challenges with every track/tier and global stats // by EVGA GTX 770
6) Show full information (tracks, damage, collisions, etc) when searching for sessions and inside a lobby (including race progress like laps/minutes left) without going anywhere into session settings.
7) Let us choose a car after joining a session that is already in progress.
Right now it forces last used car.
8) Let us purchase/change upgrades inside a lobby.
9.1) “Spectator mode” that you can enter after joining a session that is already in progress.
9.2) Speedometer in a “spectator mode”.
10) Player ping (session results and lobby).
11) Free roam mode.
12) Sell or remove cars.
12.1) Sort cars in the order of use.
I'm tired of going 9 cars to the right to select Corvette every time in a playlist.
13) Permanently show the fastest lap during a race (yours and overall).
14) When there’s a connectivity problem, game should ask if you want to reconnect to the same session, not just drop you.
15) Show stats for players that are highlighted in a lobby (as in “view stats”).
16) Show own upgrades in a car select screen or lobby.
17) Same physics for drift mode.
Right now drifting in a regular race is easier.
18) Some menus are not responsive.
Example: I can hit “online”, press right, select “global challenge” as fast as I can and still get to “global challenges”. This doesn’t work for all menus (selection is too slow).
19.1) Host migration for custom events after 2 minutes of host inactivity (I think that's enough for a bathroom break).
I'm sure we've all been in a situation when everybody is ready to go, but the host fell asleep.
19.2) "Next host" feature in "custom game / quick match" for the same reason // by SteMinardon
20) Let us name&save controller profiles just like liveries.
Right now they are reset to default values when switching from one to another.
21) Leaderboards for every track/car.
22) An option to disable the echo effect when driving near walls. // by Prophet
Too often it sounds like an opponent is right behind you.
23) Customizable HUD - position, colors... // by Zazurca
Right now it’s hard to see on light background.
Should be possible with modding support.
24) Advanced wheel settings for unsupported controllers // by Prophet
A guide to manually change them can be found here[community.codemasters.com]
25) "Suggested gear" Gran Turismo style // by Prophet
26.1) Class restriction inside a tier for both single player and multiplayer // by TestTestTest
26.2) Min level restriction for online custom events.
27) Ability to name custom events // by Ibot
28) Add the Full lap Drift and Freestyle Drift mode like in Race Driver: GRID // by chaindritez
29) Numerical tachometer // by Aaphree
30) Map display in Derby // by Aaphree
31) The headlights don't look nearly as nice as the rest of the graphics when they are lit up. They are fine for the light shining on the environment, but when I look at them while looking behind me (in 3rd person view) they just look like blue orbs of fuzzy light // by Aaphree
32) Bring back the F1000 series cars. They were really fun to drive in Grid 1 // by Aaphree
33) The livery on my cars is blurry when racing. Stripes have fuzzy/jagged edges (I play with graphics set to high) and look pretty bad compared to the rest of the car detail // by Aaphree
34) Visual damage representation Grid 1 style as a part of the HUD // by Aaphree
35) More country flags // by Ōkami
36) Add drafting/slipstreaming // by [VQ]Kibo
37) Add a horn // by Good Homer
38) Better scenery camera angles in replays so they don't pan into obstacles or remove them completely // by Redwing
39) Allow host to set the number of AI cars, rather than it just filling the rest of the field // by ProdigyXP
40) Add the ability to save your own custom playlists // by ProdigyXP
Dirt2 did this perfectly, where we could create all of your settings/tracks and name them for easy recall.
41) Adjustable positioning of HUD elements // by ProdigyXP
Initial complaint was about the map position.
42) Custom livery support for Global Challenges so it's easier to tell who's ghost you are chasing // by pmf026
1) Le Mans, Assen, Nürburgring, Valencia, Sachsenring, Hockenheim, Catalunya, Donington, Jerez, Sepang Circuit. (by Airendil
2) Laguna Seca, Oran Park, Willow Springs, Bathurst, Limerock // by TestTestTest
3) Bathurst (New Track and Old Track), Mount Haruna from Grid 1 // by ^8Sal^1ad ^2Fing^6erz
4) San Francisco // by Aaphree
5) Suzuka Circuit, Okutama Circuit, Shibuya, Spa-Francorchamps, Circuit de la Sarthe // by chaindritez
6) Takumi/Akina/Trueno Run from Grid 1 // by Nagato Yuki (長門 有希)
1) BMW titles in T3/T4 that don’t suck like in T1/T2.
Let’s face it BMW Coupe is awful in everything and the fact that it can’t contain as many upgrades as some other cars makes it even worse. I tried driving it “for fun” but that didn’t work out.
BMW M3 has no chance against Mercedes C63, but still a great car. If only it could fit that many upgrades.
2) Upgradable Subaru/Mitsubishi titles in T2 and as strong as C63, but not obviously better or worse.
Impreza/Evo in many games are one of the best cars in their respective tier.
3.1) Less important: Renault/Peugeot in T1 maybe?
3.2) More Mazda/Volkswagen titles.
4) T2 - BMW 750, T3 - more Allrad cars, T4 - Lamborghini, Porsche // by d-_-b | Curiosity
5) Toyota Corolla Trueno ae86 // by ^8Sal^1ad ^2Fing^6erz
6) Toyota Supra // by Nepo
7) Honda Civic (EG6/EK9) in T1/T2, Honda Integra DC2, Toyota MR2, Toyota Celica GT-Four in T2 // by Nagato Yuki (長門 有希)
Special thanx to flyfacee for this indepth car balancing suggestion.
The main problem with Tier 1, Tier 2 and Tier 3 cars is that the cars with very high performance are unlocked early and are allowed to put a lot of upgrades while the cars with weak performance are unlocked very late and could hardly install any upgrades. This results in some cars have no chance at all in competiting other cars. In Tier 1 and Tier 2, cars that have a lot of power/acceleration at stock but weak in handling could install the maximum handling upgrade but the cars with great handling at stock, weak in power/acceleration can't install the maximum engine upgrade, and they stood no chance.
Cars that are already balanced:
Alfa Romeo Giuletta, VW Golf R, Ford Mustang Mach 1, Dodge Charger R/T, Ford Focus ST
Cars needs to be nerfed:
Chevrolet Camaro Z28 - Reduce the maximum upgrades to lvl 1 drivetrain, lvl 3 handling.
Reason: The engine upgrade makes it the most powerful car on straights. And that's with 3 handling upgrades which allows the car to be the best at both corners and straights.
Cars needs to be buffed:
Nissan S15 & Nissan Fairlady - Allow the maximum upgrades to lvl 3 engine.
Reason: Both being one of the weakest straight cars, yet excellent handling at stock.
Mercedes-Benz 190E 2.5-16 Evolution II
BMW E30 Sport Evo
BMW 1 Series M Coupe - Allow the maximum upgrades for these 3 cars to lvl 2 engine, lvl 2 handling.
Reason: These 3 cars are balanced for straights and corners. However the upgrade path only allows these 3 cars to pick either, and they are still weak whether you choose the engine path or handling path. They need both upgrade paths to be balanced.
Subaru BRZ - Allow maximum upgrades to lvl 2 engine, lvl 1 handling,
Reason: This car is already borderline balanced, but it just needs that extra 1 lvl of engine power.
Cars pending for balance upgrade path (I'll update soon after testing).
Alfa Romeo 4C & Hyundai Genesis Coupe
After more than 5000 online races, lot's of hours in Grid 2, trying every single car with several combination of upgrades, I have come up with the ultimate car balancing suggestion from Tier 1 to Tier 3.
Cars that are already balanced:
BMW M3 Coupe, Ford Mustang Boss 302, Chevrolet Camaro SS, Audi RS5, Golf R (Performance)
Cars need to be nerfed:
Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG - Allow the maximum upgrades to lvl 2 drivetrain, lvl 3 handling
Reason: It's currently the fastest car on straights with just level 1 engine upgrade and maximum handling upgrades. A BMW M3 with lvl 3 engine upgrades, 1 drivetrain upgrade and no handling upgrades still loses to the C63 on straights with lvl 1 engine and maximum handling upgrades. Also the fact that this is the first car to be unlocked first which is a bit ridiculous.
Nismo R34 GT-R - Allow the maximum upgrades to lvl 3 engine.
Reason: This car is borderline at balanced and overpowered (if the C63 nerf is implemented). Removing the clutch upgrade should prevent it from being the fastest car on straights.
Cars need to be buffed:
Dodge Challenger SRT8 - Allow the maximum upgrades to lvl 3 engine, lvl 3 handling.
Reason: If it weren't for the Golf R Performance as a starters car, this car's performance is perfectly matches a beginner's car performance. Note that a lvl 3 engine challenger is almost equivalent to a Ford Mustang Boss with lvl 1 engine upgrade on straights, thats why this car needs a lot of upgrades to be balanced.
Mazda RX7 Type RZ - Allow maximum upgrades to lvl 3 engine, lvl 2 handling.
Reason: With low straightway acceleration and the low top speed, the lvl 3 engine upgrade will provide the straightway acceleration this car desperately needs while remain competitive in corners with the lvl 2 handling upgrade.
Audi TT RS Roadster - Allow maximum upgrades to lvl 2 engine, lvl 2 handling.
Reason: This car understeers very badly and won't do well on corners. The extra lvl 2 handling upgrade will provide an extra boost in straights and cornering.
Nissan 370z Roadster - Allow maximum upgrades to lvl 1 engine, lvl 2 drivetrain, lvl 1 handling.
Reason: With it's weak top speed, it needs the gearbox upgrade while maintaining decent straight and cornering performance with both lvl 1 engine/handling upgrades.
Honda S2000 - Allow maximum upgrades to lvl 2 engine, lvl 2 handling.
Reason: This car is already borderline balanced. But this car needs a slight punch on straights with the extra engine upgrade.
Chevrolet Cruze - Increase it's launch acceleration and low speed acceleration and reduce the speed reduction from gripping.
Reason: The 2nd latest car to be unlocked, and yet it's performance on straights and corners is weaker than the rest.
BMW 320 Touring Car - Allow the car to recover it's drift better so that it's drifting is more reliable.
Reason: Though performance is decent, it's main problem is it has trouble recovering from drifts which prevents it from going fast on corners and becomes an unreliable car to stay on track and maintaining control.
Cars need to be buffed:
Aston Martin Vanquish - Allow the maximum upgrades to lvl 3 engine.
Reason: This is the only supercar/gran tourer category that could not have the 3rd engine upgrade. Without it, it's very difficult for this car to compete with the cars that are unlocked earlier. The stock performance is also the worst among the supercars with the weakest top speed, and it's also the latest car to be unlocked.
KTM X-bow R - Allow the maximum upgrades to lvl 2 engine, lvl 1 drivetrain.
Reason: This car is the worst perfomance in the open wheeler category. It's cornering is very unreliable which is why it's not popular, and it's straights is just decent (if you went for the 2 engine upgrade path). With this setup, the drift reliability increases due to the high gear ratio and it could compete well on straights.
The next part is more of balancing controllability of the supercar category. Performance wise, the cars in the supercar category are all very competitive with their allowed upgrades (except the underpowered car mentioned above). This balancing is to add more variety of controllable yet competitve cars in Tier 3.
In the supercar category, the cars that are unlocked earliest are the easiest to control, however as you progress, the cars that are unlocked began to have handling characteristic that are hard to control/unreliable. There are 2 cars that need this controllability balance while remaining competitive.
SRT Viper GTS
Mclaren MP4-12c - Allow the maximum upgrades for both of these cars to lvl 3 engine and lvl 2 handling.
Reason: The current allowed upgrades for both of these cars is lvl 3 engine upgrades only. Without the lvl 2 handling upgrade, these 2 are incredibly difficult to control with lvl 3 engine and no handling upgrades. The MP4-12c could spin out so easily if you went in a corner too fast, while the Viper could drift at the slightest turn and have trouble recovering if you steer too late. Though with the new allowed upgrades, these 2 cars are still difficult to control, but definitely way better without. After all, these 2 cars are the 2nd latest supercars category cars to be unlocked, don't you think they deserved to be more controllable and reliable?
For Tier 4, it's the only Tier that unlocks better cars as you progress and level up, which is why to me it does not require balancing. After all, you can install every upgrade. There are also mentioned suggestions for Tier 4.
I hope these suggestions could be implemented and so that races will have more variety in the player's vehicle choice instead of the same overpowered cars.
For Tier 3, I'm happy to say that most of the cars are quite competitive in performance with it's allowed upgrades. There is no overpowered car in this Tier, but there are cars requires buffing.