1. The game in Steam store is NOT a complete version of the game (doesn't include all DLCs)
2. DLCs here (there is 1 free)http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/DiRT-3/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d804434d0fa0
3. Download of the game freezes/not moving:
If you mean there's an update in-game, then that must be GFWL client, however you could update it right from here manually http://www.xbox.com/en-US/live/pc/downloadclient - Just make sure to close the game while updating.
If you mean you can't download from Steam, then you better go to Settings, then change your location to anything, from 'Download+Cloud' tab. Then restart and re-download.
4. GFWL asks you to buy the game and you already have it/how to activate the game:
Activate the game using the game key provided from Steam, just right click on Dirt 3, click on View CD Key, copy it to clipboard, launch the game and login in your GFWL account, when asked about entering the key, paste your CD key
5. GFWL = Games For Windows Live
6. I used Alt+tab/game don't start in fullscreen
Try Alt+Enter if that don't work
Documents>My Games>Dirt 3>hardwaresettings (Open with Notepad), press crtl+f and type "fullscreen". Find --> fullscreen="false" delete false and type "true">Save.
7. My Desktop icon of the game is damaged, how to have the game icon back
Right click on the Desktop Shortcut, Click on change icon, Click browse, and then navigate to the Steam Apps Folder, then select Dirt3 and then scroll down and either click on Dirt 3 or Dirt3_game. Then click ok and apply, and it should be changed to the icon.
8. Game loads for 10s or more
Slow hard drive/RAM
9. Game downloaded I click Start>nothing happens
Manually update GFWL program>restart computer.
10. Play this game with a controller if you want to win, try playing with an easy recognized controller. You will see big difference, trust me!
11. Game still does not start
1 - First you have to do is close the application [Steam] completely before proceeding.
2 - Find this folder:
[C: \ Program Files \ Steam \ steamapps \ common \ dirt 3 \ redist]
3 - In this folder you will find four subfolders, where they will be 4 programs.
4 - Only run these:
In the Folder >> [DirectX] Run >> [DXSETUP.exe] and install it.
In the Folder >> [GFWL] Run >> [gfwlivesetup.exe] and install it. !
Note: In this You have to register
In the Folder >> [OpenAL] Run >> [OpenALwEAX.exe] and install it.
If all went well, you should reboot the PC
Follow these steps if you have Win7/Vista in this direction where this folder was installed Dirt 3. (in my case - win7)
12. Game doesn't save my profile, I have to start all over again
There should be a savegame folder in it... If not, hope you made a backup...
If the folder does exist backup the entire DiRT3 folder. I had problems a while ago and found a temporary file I needed to delete, but I cannot remember the name of the file and its excact location. I did howerver recognized it very quickly so it must be something in the filename, and you just made a backup so try and experiment!
Go to My Documents\\My Games\DiRT3\
13. How many people play Dirt 3 at this moment?
Open the game in the store> click community Hub> number is marked in green right side (--- In-Game)
14. 3D of the game doesn't work (makes the game crash)
- if you have the hardware for it, try this:
Change the resolution in game options to 1280x720, 50Hz. Quit options and save, then go back to options and turn on stereoscopic 3D. Dirt 3 will get into 3D now, but weird because you will found one eye have no image at all. Then quit Dirt 3. Restart the game, then the 3D looks just right.
15. Game doesn't work after update
Found the solution: had to reinstall Windows Live ID Sign-in Assistant 6.5 (Microsoft site), 64 bit version. Launched the game again and I was able to Log in with my existing Live ID (Create a new Live ID if you have to).
My computer is Windows 7 64 bit, Dirt 3 previously worked. But after the latest update I had the same problem - game would not launch.
You could also go into services and make sure that GFWl/Marketplace/Live ID is starting. If not, you could have it start automatically
16. I had a Windows Live ID but I forgot it
Go to their website and try reseting your password. In username type your email and hope its the one you entered during the registration (worked for me)
17. My controller works only for the races but not for the menu
When you start the game, use the controller to start if you use the keyboard/mouse it sets them as default for the menus until you return to that screen again.
18. If you post a thread in language other than French/Bulgarian/Russian/English I may not be able to help you.
19. High fps ingame but low fps in the lobby
Try google it. You will find many people with the same issue and a few solutions, maybe one of them work for you.
It's a glitch with GFWL voice chat system I think. The same happened to me with Dirt 2. nothing solved it, except formatting the PC : /
20. Horrible flicker transitions during the game using SLI
When using SLI I would always get a horrible flicker during the game when it would transition from one scene to the next. It seems that for me and I hope for others too now, that if you completely delete the SLI profile for Dirt 3 using nVidia Inspector and add Dirt3's executable to Dirt Showdown's SLI Profile, it completely gotten rid of the flicker for me! And SLI runs just as good if not better!
21. Can I play this with my PS3 controller
Yes but you need to download "MotionJoy" and emulate a X360 controller to avoid having to reconfigure ingame
22. Can I move Dirt 3 game addons (DLCs) to a different windows live account?
23. Can I play this game in split screen on one pc?
24. Can't play the game on win 8 game don't start
After installing a win8 compatibility update for Games for Windows marketplace, and silverlight, and creating a new Live account, and signing in, it works.
make sure windows live is automatic mode in adminstarator tools
25. Activated Dirt 3 in GFWL and can't activate/add it in steamhttp://steamcommunity.com/app/44320/discussions/0/846939614956553578/
26. I start the game but nothing happens AGAIN!
- uninstall current GFWL download it from http://www.xbox.com/en-US/live/pc/downloadclient
and install. Restart PC
- Run As administrator can solve this, try it before uninstalling your GFWL client
27. You CAN play the game under Win8 just do whats told in "26" or try:
right click on dirt 3, properties> validate game cache... There may be files for redownload.
28. I want to play all the cars
- possible with ACAT mod if you want to play them only in singleplayer:http://www.rallygamer.site11.com/dirt3/tools/various-tools.htmlhttp://www.gamew0rld.com/dirt-3-all-events-and-cars-unlocker/
- read for info
Works for career and single races. Can be cosen by launching the .exe file.
29. Pressing Alt+Enter makes the game enter 3D mode - how to disable
- update to latest graphic card drivers
-turn off 3D from graphic card settings
30. Starting the game> message "has stopped working"
or if you have a 8 core processor Turn off any Surround sound feature on your sound card. I had mine setup for Surround with a center channel and sub-woofer. I switched it to just stereo sound with two speakers
In order to fix this go to start menu type in msconfig go under boot, and view the advanced options. If there is a check in the box that says number of cores. uncheck that and your pc will boot with all 8 cores instead of 5
For some reason my computer was only booting with 5 cores. Now i have an i7 2600 @ 3.4ghz so it should have been running w/ 8 cores shown in the task manager.
31. Interesting topic by crankygeek for Windows 8 Pro 64-bit with GFWL problem solvedhttp://steamcommunity.com/app/44320/discussions/0/864959336658365348/
32. Another game doesn't start
- redownload GFWL client and change the compability to Win7
33. Leaderboards show impossible times
Check this out http://steamcommunity.com/app/44320/discussions/0/846940249231693529/
34. Game crash directly after start and you don't see it in Task manager
- Uninstall Microsoft Games for Windows Live (GFWL*)
- Uninstall any .NET except 4 (I had 1.1 installed still)
- Repair .NET Framework 4 Client Profile under uninstall/change
- Repair Windows Live Essentials 2011 under uninstall/change
- Reinstall Microsoft GFWL
- Start GFWL Marketplace and logged in (gives login error till you start game and accept new terms)
- Enter in CD key
I fixed mine so it now works. This is how I fixed it for Windows 7 64 bit
35. Game does not start
Sometimes you need to uninstall the game from the Control Panel and disable "Windows Live ID Sign-In Assistant" service in order to run the game.
You may turn off your real-time protection (in your anti-virus software) to see if that's whats causing the problem. If yes, play with this turned off, but remember to put it back on after you exit the game.
36. If you want to buy DLCs for the game buy them from the website, not from the ingame marketplace
37. FPS drops
Turn off triple-buffering
turn off a razer program running in the background
38. Steam gifting/trading/requests must be posted here:http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11897
Look what happens when you do it (you may receive some bans too):http://steamcommunity.com/app/44320/discussions/0/828934424163400828/
39. Missing OpenAL32.dllhttp://steamcommunity.com/app/44320/discussions/0/864961721687957915/
40. Game unavailable in your regionhttp://steamcommunity.com/app/44320/discussions/0/846940248477381477/
41. If you have a question DON'T open a steam support ticket. Ask in the discussions and if you are adviced to open a ticket do so, but remember that in the discussions you will have an answer in a few hours. With steam support you will have your answer after days, maybe weeks...
I spent hours finding all this info for you guys, please do read it before you ask something. I am sorry for the chaotic order of the problems - I simply need a break after this reading/writing plus I don't get paid for doing this. I'm going to ask a moderator to pin the thread.