qwertimus Feb 18, 2013 @ 8:22pm
Mac's still crap
Why does Mac have by far the worst version of this game (and other source engine games). The Linux release is now out, and performs better than windows (opengl), yet the old Mac release performs far worse than windows (opengl)... How? From my experience it shouldn't be that difficult to bring over optimisations from linux to the mac. The only thing I can think of is that Mac uses an older version of opengl...
Showing 1-15 of 15 comments
< >
Icehat Feb 18, 2013 @ 8:33pm 
Because Apple.
SodaVSDeath Feb 18, 2013 @ 8:41pm 
the mac version is great i used to play intil i got windows and mac version is better and apple is very good somewittyusername a lot better than microsoft and the mac version is awsome
SodaVSDeath Feb 18, 2013 @ 8:42pm 
and macs not crap
Major Havoc Feb 18, 2013 @ 8:45pm 
The mac is not crap, but their sycophants are full of it. :p
Icehat Feb 18, 2013 @ 8:46pm 
Originally posted by cartman12:
the mac version is great i used to play intil i got windows and mac version is better and apple is very good somewittyusername a lot better than microsoft and the mac version is awsome
I'm better than Microsoft?
SodaVSDeath Feb 18, 2013 @ 8:48pm 
Originally posted by SomeWittyUsername:
Originally posted by cartman12:
the mac version is great i used to play intil i got windows and mac version is better and apple is very good somewittyusername a lot better than microsoft and the mac version is awsome
I'm better than Microsoft?
no because u said because apple i was saying to u apple is better than microsoft
DaimyoKirby Feb 18, 2013 @ 8:53pm 
Originally posted by cartman12:
Originally posted by SomeWittyUsername:
I'm better than Microsoft?
no because u said because apple i was saying to u apple is better than microsoft
I think it's a bit of a stretch to say Apple is better than Microsoft...
qwertimus Feb 18, 2013 @ 8:55pm 
This was not meant to be a stupid flame war. I was hoping someone might explain why there is such a (seemingly unnecessary) performance discrepancy.
Icehat Feb 18, 2013 @ 8:55pm 
Originally posted by DaimyoKirby:
Originally posted by cartman12:
no because u said because apple i was saying to u apple is better than microsoft
I think it's a bit of a stretch to say Apple is better than Microsoft...
Bit of a stretch to say Apple's better than anything.
[inb4 raging Apple fanboys]
goy Feb 19, 2013 @ 2:55am 
i think the console version of tf2 might be worse
goy Feb 19, 2013 @ 2:55am 
beep
qwertimus Feb 19, 2013 @ 3:06am 
Originally posted by goy:
i think the console version of tf2 might be worse
I forgot about that, is it still supported? Regardless, general consensus elsewhere is that poor opengl support (still no 4.0), and poor graphics drivers are to blame for many shortcomings.
Shooter447 May 8, 2013 @ 8:53pm 
Why do people come to these discussions just to denounce the Mac? We are all apart of the gaming community. And, it was Microsoft that prevented the console version from being identical to the computer version. Developer regulations or something like that.
End May 8, 2013 @ 8:56pm 
Originally posted by Shooter447:
Why do people come to these discussions just to denounce the Mac? We are all apart of the gaming community. And, it was Microsoft that prevented the console version from being identical to the computer version. Developer regulations or something like that.

Congrats on replying to an old thread.
a potato May 9, 2013 @ 1:49am 
Originally posted by qwertimus:
Why does Mac have by far the worst version of this game (and other source engine games). The Linux release is now out, and performs better than windows (opengl), yet the old Mac release performs far worse than windows (opengl)... How? From my experience it shouldn't be that difficult to bring over optimisations from linux to the mac. The only thing I can think of is that Mac uses an older version of opengl...

Because SteamBox. Linux is Valve's main goal at this time because they will be entering the console market with a Linux-powered box. I would say Mac isn't really that high on their to-do list, I might even go as far as to say it's not even on that list.

Mac's closed philosophy is very destructive towards innovation from other individuals all over the world. If you match it with Linux, it's a day and night difference in the potential the systems hold in a future perspective.
Showing 1-15 of 15 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Feb 18, 2013 @ 8:22pm
Posts: 15