Catherine Apr 12, 2013 @ 3:14am
I... I'm not sure what to say.
I fired this game up, I haven't played for a while so I take a look at the servers and find idle and trade servers flooding my page.

Alright no problem, people want to do that sort of thing so let's filter those tags out which would work right? Wrong, how very wrong. Every server I keep finding is still idle or trade servers, I litterally cannot find a normal game server.

What is this?

Then, I have to watch an ad to get into a server. What has happened to this game?
Last edited by Catherine; Apr 12, 2013 @ 3:15am
Showing 1-15 of 23 comments
< >
|Gent| Mc Mentlegen Apr 12, 2013 @ 3:33am 
There are 2 easy solutions:
1) use the game-finding thingy (don't use the new beta though, it seems to take longer to find a ga,e)
2) find a steam group you like and copy+paste their server IDs from the groups website

P. S. I have played tf2 for only a year, but I highly doubt the filters have ever worked
Last edited by |Gent| Mc Mentlegen; Apr 12, 2013 @ 3:33am
Catherine Apr 12, 2013 @ 3:34am 
Originally posted by Lost mc mentlegen:
There are 2 easy solutions:
1) use the game-finding thingy (don't use the new beta though, it seems to take longer to find a ga,e)
2) find a steam group you like and copy+paste their server IDs from the groups website

P. S. I have played tf2 for only a year, but I highly doubt the filters have ever worked

I suppose I'll try to find a group. Thanks for the advice.
Catherine Apr 12, 2013 @ 3:36am 
Is there a way to turn off all the extra things like stuff hanging off guns, these really weird looking hats, and other stuff?
TheNoobishNinja Apr 12, 2013 @ 3:47am 
KV-Chan, that avatar is porn... and also those extra things are known as items and everybody has them. Deal with it.
Catherine Apr 12, 2013 @ 3:51am 
Originally posted by TheNoobishNinja:
KV-Chan, that avatar is porn... and also those extra things are known as items and everybody has them. Deal with it.
It kind of isn't, it's a tank. A KV-2 even. Also I'm part of everybody and I don't have any, I just started trying to learn the game.
templar Apr 12, 2013 @ 3:55am 
Avoid maps with "trade" in the name, and search for servers running maps with the prefix cp, pl, ctf, etc. Or use quickplay.


Originally posted by KV-Chan:
Is there a way to turn off all the extra things like stuff hanging off guns, these really weird looking hats, and other stuff?

No.
Octavia Apr 12, 2013 @ 3:57am 
Unless you find a custom skin that replaces the in-game skins, then no, people may have Festive versions of weapons, promotional items, hats, miscellaneous items or a combination of all of them, plus a few more varieties. So no, there's no way to manually turn them off, but they don't affect any gameplay mechanics and merely function as cosmetics, with the exception of perhaps four or five specific set hats, which only give a benefit if a certain weapon combination is used.

Most servers I find are via groups, unless you're willing to hop into a Valve server or a specific server network. Skial, for example, is a rather large network, to my knowledge, and they host a variety of maps on a multitude of servers; I imagine that searching "skial" as a tag would give you their servers, while searching "Valve" should bring up a list of Valve servers. Your best bet to completely avoid servers for trading and idling is most likely to, as Ninja said, find a group and nab a server from them to join.
Catherine Apr 12, 2013 @ 4:01am 
Originally posted by The Last Templar:
Avoid maps with "trade" in the name, and search for servers running maps with the prefix cp, pl, ctf, etc. Or use quickplay.


Originally posted by KV-Chan:
Is there a way to turn off all the extra things like stuff hanging off guns, these really weird looking hats, and other stuff?

No.


Originally posted by Octavia:
Unless you find a custom skin that replaces the in-game skins, then no, people may have Festive versions of weapons, promotional items, hats, miscellaneous items or a combination of all of them, plus a few more varieties. So no, there's no way to manually turn them off, but they don't affect any gameplay mechanics and merely function as cosmetics, with the exception of perhaps four or five specific set hats, which only give a benefit if a certain weapon combination is used.

Most servers I find are via groups, unless you're willing to hop into a Valve server or a specific server network. Skial, for example, is a rather large network, to my knowledge, and they host a variety of maps on a multitude of servers; I imagine that searching "skial" as a tag would give you their servers, while searching "Valve" should bring up a list of Valve servers. Your best bet to completely avoid servers for trading and idling is most likely to, as Ninja said, find a group and nab a server from them to join.
These seem to be pretty good suggestions! Thank you, also I've been trying the random game mode button thing. It's working out some what. I also found a mod that helps a bit with my Monochromacy somewhat.
Catherine Apr 12, 2013 @ 4:11am 
Oh this is weird, I got some items but they're for the heavy. A dragon gun, a candy bar, and some boxing gloves. I guess the game is telling me to be the minigun class, I guess that's appropriate.
|Gent| Mc Mentlegen Apr 12, 2013 @ 4:13am 
Originally posted by KV-Chan:
Oh this is weird, I got some items but they're for the heavy. A dragon gun, a candy bar, and some boxing gloves. I guess the game is telling me to be the minigun class, I guess that's appropriate.

You might want to check out the wiki to learn about those items. I don't recommend using the Huo-Long Heater though (the dragon minigun), it runs out of ammo extremely quick.
Catherine Apr 12, 2013 @ 4:16am 
Originally posted by Lost mc mentlegen:
Originally posted by KV-Chan:
Oh this is weird, I got some items but they're for the heavy. A dragon gun, a candy bar, and some boxing gloves. I guess the game is telling me to be the minigun class, I guess that's appropriate.

You might want to check out the wiki to learn about those items. I don't recommend using the Huo-Long Heater though (the dragon minigun), it runs out of ammo extremely quick.
I am finding it to be very good! I sit on an ammo box and people run into me.
Rex Kwon Do Apr 12, 2013 @ 5:34am 
Originally posted by KV-Chan:
Originally posted by Lost mc mentlegen:

You might want to check out the wiki to learn about those items. I don't recommend using the Huo-Long Heater though (the dragon minigun), it runs out of ammo extremely quick.
I am finding it to be very good! I sit on an ammo box and people run into me.
lol - You'll find that sitting in one place and mowing people down with the Huo-Long heater gets reeaally boring fast. You may want to try a little something more challenging...like actually moving around the map and trying to help your team accomplish the objective..
Catherine Apr 12, 2013 @ 5:47am 
Originally posted by Enigmantic:
Originally posted by KV-Chan:
I am finding it to be very good! I sit on an ammo box and people run into me.
lol - You'll find that sitting in one place and mowing people down with the Huo-Long heater gets reeaally boring fast. You may want to try a little something more challenging...like actually moving around the map and trying to help your team accomplish the objective..
I did it for 3 hours, and had a kill to death ratio of over 3 kills to 1 death.

It was entertaining, pretty much for as long as I did it because people kept trying to come up with ways to kill me but failing to do so!

I am the greatest fighter!

Also the game gave me two candy bars but I only need one.
Rex Kwon Do Apr 12, 2013 @ 5:57am 
Originally posted by KV-Chan:
Originally posted by Enigmantic:
lol - You'll find that sitting in one place and mowing people down with the Huo-Long heater gets reeaally boring fast. You may want to try a little something more challenging...like actually moving around the map and trying to help your team accomplish the objective..

Also the game gave me two candy bars but I only need one.
You will get multiples of the same item with item drops. Keep them and use them in the future for crafting once your backpack becomes fairly large.
Last edited by Rex Kwon Do; Apr 12, 2013 @ 5:58am
MA☝Omgwtfbbqstfu™ Apr 12, 2013 @ 6:54am 
I've never seen this, you just type 2fort or whatever to filter by tag, idles/achiev are not that common to be frank.
Showing 1-15 of 23 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Apr 12, 2013 @ 3:14am
Posts: 23