Emperor Lex Apr 6, 2013 @ 9:00pm
Serious TF2 lag problems
I just downloaded TF2 yesterday, but am unable to play it because of the lag. After a couple of seconds, the game will freeze, repeat the same sound a few times in succession, then resume. This happens every couple of seconds, including on the menu. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Specs:
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2520M CPU @ 250GHz
RAM: 7.60 GB
Showing 1-15 of 15 comments
< >
Blockerville Apr 6, 2013 @ 9:12pm 
I'm assuming you mean 2.50GHz rather than 250GHz. If you had a computer with 250GHz clock speed, you probably wouldn't be having lag troubles... ;)

A bit more information would be useful, like GPU, OS, and any other computer specs.

The only thing I can recommend based on that information is to reinstall the game and see if it's fixed. I've had various TF2 problems that a reinstall fixed just fine.
Emperor Lex Apr 7, 2013 @ 7:49am 
You're right, it's 2.50GHz. I forgot to mention that it's a Lenovo ThinkPad Edge E430 laptop. It runs Windows 7 Professional 64-bit OS, DirectX version 11, and 335 GB of free space.

This doesn't make any sense- I was able to run Portal 2 just fine a few months ago, but I can't even do that now. It's giving me the same problem. The Windows Experience Index rates me as a 5.9, which should be good enough to play 3D games.

If I can help it, I would like to avoid reinstalling TF2- it took about 7 hours to download last time due to bottlenecking on my Wi-Fi.
Emperor Lex Apr 9, 2013 @ 12:17pm 
Just updated graphics card drivers, set visual effects to 'low', made sure everything else was closed- no success, the game still lags severely (and I keep getting dominated because of it). I'd greatly appreciate any help anyone could offer...
RedPirate35 lags a lot Apr 9, 2013 @ 12:50pm 
This has been happening to me with alarmingly increasing frequency even AFTER reinstalling the game! Also, when I'm lagging, it lasts practically over a minute!
girdurloins Apr 9, 2013 @ 12:56pm 
Originally posted by Emperor Lex:
You're right, it's 2.50GHz. I forgot to mention that it's a Lenovo ThinkPad Edge E430 laptop. It runs Windows 7 Professional 64-bit OS, DirectX version 11, and 335 GB of free space.

This doesn't make any sense- I was able to run Portal 2 just fine a few months ago, but I can't even do that now. It's giving me the same problem. The Windows Experience Index rates me as a 5.9, which should be good enough to play 3D games.

If I can help it, I would like to avoid reinstalling TF2- it took about 7 hours to download last time due to bottlenecking on my Wi-Fi.
Maybe your problem is your router/IP and not your computer since your computer specs more than meet the requirements for this game-7 hours is a reaaaalllly long time to download this game. Heck it only took me 45 minutes to download.
ElMikky(Cze)™☮❄ Apr 9, 2013 @ 1:07pm 
I have EXACTLY same problem as you! Its unplayable,sometimes i just fix it by restarting the game,but after 10 minutes its repeating.Annoying as hell.
girdurloins Apr 9, 2013 @ 2:35pm 
Originally posted by El^1Mikky^3(Cze)™:
I have EXACTLY same problem as you! Its unplayable,sometimes i just fix it by restarting the game,but after 10 minutes its repeating.Annoying as hell.
Try resetting your router by unpluging it for a minute and then plug it back in.
ElMikky(Cze)™☮❄ Apr 9, 2013 @ 2:35pm 
Originally posted by Enigmantic:
Originally posted by El^1Mikky^3(Cze)™:
I have EXACTLY same problem as you! Its unplayable,sometimes i just fix it by restarting the game,but after 10 minutes its repeating.Annoying as hell.
Try resetting your router by unpluging it for a minute and then plug it back in.

Already tried that,it helps,but after few minutes it just strats again :/
girdurloins Apr 9, 2013 @ 2:40pm 
Originally posted by El^1Mikky^3(Cze)™:
Originally posted by Enigmantic:
Try resetting your router by unpluging it for a minute and then plug it back in.

Already tried that,it helps,but after few minutes it just strats again :/
I see you have 874 hours in the game. Have you defragged and verified the game lately? That may help a little.
J_ͣ_ͬ_ͣ_ͭ_ͤ King Apr 9, 2013 @ 2:41pm 
Try chris's config, but really the issue seems to be your internet connection. About how close/far are you from your router when you're using your computer?
ElMikky(Cze)™☮❄ Apr 10, 2013 @ 5:49am 
Originally posted by Enigmantic:
Originally posted by El^1Mikky^3(Cze)™:

Already tried that,it helps,but after few minutes it just strats again :/
I see you have 874 hours in the game. Have you defragged and verified the game lately? That may help a little.
It will be a week,when i last time i verified the game.
Last edited by ElMikky(Cze)™☮❄; Apr 10, 2013 @ 5:49am
ElMikky(Cze)™☮❄ Apr 10, 2013 @ 5:50am 
Originally posted by HLSF Jarate King / JarKin:
Try chris's config, but really the issue seems to be your internet connection. About how close/far are you from your router when you're using your computer?

iam close then one meter to my router.
MA☝Omgwtfbbqstfu™ Apr 10, 2013 @ 7:28am 
Lol the suggestions to reset the router are pretty hilarious, a router won't make your sound repeat, you will simply stall out and the game will freeze while it counts down the server lost connection time out period.

Generally something hardware/software on the actual laptop has to stall out for a game to stall out. Sometimes its the harddrive if thats going bad... but its hard to say, too many variables.
Last edited by MA☝Omgwtfbbqstfu™; Apr 10, 2013 @ 7:29am
Emperor Lex Apr 10, 2013 @ 11:09am 
I have been having problems with my hard drive- Windows has been giving me error messages. I might have to get it replaced. Luckily, I still have a warranty on it, so I'll see how that works out.
MA☝Omgwtfbbqstfu™ Apr 10, 2013 @ 11:29am 
Yep its how dying drives will behave, your system stalls while the drive tries, fails, tries fails.......and on and on and on....
Showing 1-15 of 15 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Apr 6, 2013 @ 9:00pm
Posts: 15