dBus Feb 8 @ 5:23pm
Why is Demo never nerfed?
I've been playing this game for a few years now, and right from the start it was obvious that Demoman was the strongest class. Give a good Demoman a medic, and they can dominate the server.

I decided I would avoid playing Demo until it was balanced, because that's the kind of gamer I am. It's why I didn't use the AWP or the Deagle in Counter Strike; using overpowered weapons ruins the game for me, because it's just the weapon winning and not you.

But it's been quite a few years now, and Demo is still insanely strong. I used to at least use the sword and shield a bit, but with the no-afterburn buff that the shield got, it's become a bit too cheap. They can tank better than a Heavy most of the time.

I keep thinking of the Huntsman, and how underpowered that is, and how I actually feel like I earn kills with it so I use it a lot. And on the other end of the spectrum is the 8 shot sticky launcher.

Does anyone else feel the same way? Why has Demo man never been nerfed?
Last edited by dBus; Feb 8 @ 5:33pm
Showing 1-15 of 265 comments
< >
Ribbon Feb 8 @ 5:25pm 
I kinda think the sticky bomb launcher needs a bit of a nerf. The Grenade Launcher is fine really.
Sentient_Toaster Feb 8 @ 5:30pm 
Has been. Repeatedly.

Grenades used to explode on contact with an enemy, even after bouncing off a surface.
Grenade launcher used to carry six shots at a time.
Grenade launcher used to have thirty shots in reserve.
Sticky launcher used to have forty shots in reserve.
Sticky launcher used to get normal ramp-up instead reduced.
Sticky jumper used to provide immunity to self-damage from pipes and caber explosions.
Sticky jumper didn't have a two-sticky limit.
Targe used to provide 65% explosive resistance, even against self-damage from pipes and cabers.

And of couse, airblast was added, so now a Pyro can reflect a Demoman's projectiles and make him regret not having any hitscan. Likewise, the lack of non-explosive damage makes him vulnerable to a Vaccinator ubercharge.
wheres waldo Feb 8 @ 5:32pm 
It's over powered for the purposes of spamming up choke points and objectives, yes. That is the intention of the design I believe and no amount of complaining will change Valves vision of the demomans role in the game. He'd be overpowered if he were given a scattergun, but that hasn't happened yet. Instead of complaining about how overpowered he is, perhaps you should put away your huntsman, and play on more well designed maps such as the majority of 5cp maps, and badwater. These maps include a lot of open areas in the out doors, with elevations and props around the terrain which scouts can use to stay well out of the explosive radius of the demos stickies.
-W3E- is OP and needs Nerf Feb 8 @ 5:36pm 
I think the sticky bombs arm time should be increased so it can be used to setup a trap around a corner or on a ceiling, not under a player and immedietly blow them up

ArgyleIsOnVacation Feb 8 @ 5:38pm 
Originally posted by -W3E- Stripe Spangled Soldier:
I think the sticky bombs arm time should be increased so it can be used to setup a trap around a corner or on a ceiling, not under a player and immedietly blow them up
That would ruin the effectiveness of the Sticky Launcher.
Sentient_Toaster Feb 8 @ 5:39pm 
Originally posted by -W3E- Stripe Spangled Soldier:
I think the sticky bombs arm time should be increased so it can be used to setup a trap around a corner or on a ceiling, not under a player and immedietly blow them up

No. It's meant to be versatile and that the ability to airburst is entirely intentional.
dBus Feb 8 @ 5:40pm 
Originally posted by Sentient_Toaster:
Has been. Repeatedly.

Grenades used to explode on contact with an enemy, even after bouncing off a surface.
Grenade launcher used to carry six shots at a time.
Grenade launcher used to have thirty shots in reserve.
Sticky launcher used to have forty shots in reserve.
Sticky launcher used to get normal ramp-up instead reduced.
Sticky jumper used to provide immunity to self-damage from pipes and caber explosions.
Sticky jumper didn't have a two-sticky limit.
Targe used to provide 65% explosive resistance, even against self-damage from pipes and cabers.

And of couse, airblast was added, so now a Pyro can reflect a Demoman's projectiles and make him regret not having any hitscan. Likewise, the lack of non-explosive damage makes him vulnerable to a Vaccinator ubercharge.

Yeah, reducing ammo count a bit and nerfing the Sticky jumper aren't exactly huge nerfs.

Targe provides afterburn protection.
Grenade launcher is still a decent weapon, but GL plus Targe means that the demo becomes crazy strong.

And Sticky Launcher is still the best weapon in the game.
I agree with you, but I think it's a bit too late development wise to consider something of this sort.

Like five years too late.. You'll just have to put up with it, or go someplace else.
dBus Feb 8 @ 6:35pm 
Originally posted by Heavy is wishmaking wizardbaby:
I agree with you, but I think it's a bit too late development wise to consider something of this sort.

Like five years too late.. You'll just have to put up with it, or go someplace else.

I'd like to argue . . . but yeah you might be right. Oh well.
noahadvs Feb 8 @ 6:53pm 
If stickybomb base damage was lowered to 100 (currently 120), I'd still use the demoman.
wheres waldo Feb 8 @ 6:57pm 
Well in 6v6 competitive at least, demoman in most cases hardly ever stands a fighting chance vs dive bomber soldiers and scouts. We need only to wait for people to get good at TF2, and then balance will be achieved.
Rent a mop - Mumble Feb 8 @ 6:57pm 
If you get inside the "airbust" radius of him, it scares a demo half to death. Since he has to switch to melee (which is unreliable) or risk blowing himself to bits. A lot of demos simply cant handle it, and end up like deer in headlights if you get close up with a shotgun in their face.
noahadvs Feb 8 @ 6:58pm 
Originally posted by Rent a mop:
If you get inside the "airbust" radius of him, it scares a demo half to death. Since he has to switch to melee (which is unreliable) or risk blowing himself to bits. A lot of demos simply cant handle it, and end up like deer in headlights if you get close up with a shotgun in their face.
That's true.
Bard Feb 8 @ 7:02pm 
Originally posted by Sentient_Toaster:
Has been. Repeatedly.

Grenades used to explode on contact with an enemy, even after bouncing off a surface.
Grenade launcher used to carry six shots at a time.
Grenade launcher used to have thirty shots in reserve.
Sticky launcher used to have forty shots in reserve.
Sticky launcher used to get normal ramp-up instead reduced.
Sticky jumper used to provide immunity to self-damage from pipes and caber explosions.
Sticky jumper didn't have a two-sticky limit.
Targe used to provide 65% explosive resistance, even against self-damage from pipes and cabers.

And of couse, airblast was added, so now a Pyro can reflect a Demoman's projectiles and make him regret not having any hitscan. Likewise, the lack of non-explosive damage makes him vulnerable to a Vaccinator ubercharge.

Perfect answer to all of these threads
J_ͣ_ͬ_ͣ_ͭ_ͤ King Feb 8 @ 7:02pm 
Demoman's effective at what he's supposed to do and not useless at other things sometimes. I really think that's a good thing, that's how classes should be. I'd argue that's pretty much how things are when you look at every class and not just demos, every other class can be annoying, hard to counter if they're in their correct position, and do a lot of damage.
Showing 1-15 of 265 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Feb 8 @ 5:23pm
Posts: 265