Metro 2033 > General Discussions > Topic Details
Aylus Dec 13, 2012 @ 10:24pm
Help, Metro 2033 crashes on start up
Whenever I start up Metro 2033, it crashes. Can someone tell me a fix to this? (Also btw, I'm not the best at knowing computers and all so try to do a detailed answer please.)
Showing 1-15 of 74 comments
< >
outlawdamo Dec 13, 2012 @ 10:43pm 
right click metro 2033 in steam then click properties then local files and then verify integrity of game cache
mugurgok Dec 13, 2012 @ 11:45pm 
I got the same error to
Aylus Dec 14, 2012 @ 2:40pm 
Originally posted by outlawdamo:
right click metro 2033 in steam then click properties then local files and then verify integrity of game cache
I already tried doing that. It says that 1 item failed to validate
sir_0cco Dec 15, 2012 @ 9:08am 
Yes indeed, the repeated and perpetual... "1 item failed to validate" error happens to me too, and still can't run Metro 2033.

Steam says/alleges I've played the game for ten minutes when the truth is I haven't been able to play the game for even one tenth of a second yet, owing to the same 'appcrash' error on launch - which so many people have reported! What on earth is going on that the game has still not been patched to fix this error for paying customers who can run other games with no issues at all!??

None of the published fixes have worked for me and I'm left awaiting for the magical solution to be released one day (needless to say, holding my breath, I won't be)
Last edited by sir_0cco; Dec 15, 2012 @ 9:09am
Agent Duck 47 Dec 15, 2012 @ 5:07pm 
happened to me to i have no idea what to do but my friend he sent me a file and told me to go to steam on the file thing and click open location file then find steamapps click it then click common then metro 2033 and you need to replace the PhysXLoader with this other one but i looked in the files and didnt find any PysXLoader
sir_0cco Dec 16, 2012 @ 4:44am 
Just want to add this information and hopefully it'll be of use to others:

As a last resort - IF all else fails, folks (i.e., you have already spent several hours trying out absolutely *ALL* the advice given in this forum to get Metro 2033 going), after I phoned their tech support line I was told *before* contacting them further - to run both the msinfo & dxdiag files - then copy the results and *also* send them the full details of the appcrash error to this address to explain the launch crash for further assistance in working out the problem to get the game going (or possibly release a new patch). They do not follow the forum I was told, so that may explain why so many people are still reporting launch crashes - they simply are not aware that there is still such a problem with same:

e
u
r
s
u
p
p
o
r
t
A
T
t
h
q
D
O
T
c
o
m

(ps just in case any one doesn't realise, the address is protected from bot crawlers, so remove any spaces etc.)
Last edited by sir_0cco; Dec 16, 2012 @ 4:46am
ChristosK (Kur Vasilis) Dec 16, 2012 @ 3:33pm 
Originally posted by sir_0cco:
Yes indeed, the repeated and perpetual... "1 item failed to validate" error happens to me too, and still can't run Metro 2033.

Steam says/alleges I've played the game for ten minutes when the truth is I haven't been able to play the game for even one tenth of a second yet, owing to the same 'appcrash' error on launch - which so many people have reported! What on earth is going on that the game has still not been patched to fix this error for paying customers who can run other games with no issues at all!??

None of the published fixes have worked for me and I'm left awaiting for the magical solution to be released one day (needless to say, holding my breath, I won't be)


The same happens to me, send a mail to THQ, hope they fix it. I could play it fine when it was released and now it won't even start!
ThoughtfulSpud Dec 16, 2012 @ 5:23pm 
Ok guys, I'm not sure if this is a fix for all your troubles but i managed to get it started.

Right click Metro2033 in your games library and click properties. Then click the "LOCAL FILES" tab and click "browse local files",now this should bring up the folder in which your Metro game is stored on your computer. Look for a file named "metro2033" (not "metro2033benchmark") and select that. Now hopefully (finger crossed) this should start running Metro.

Hope this is of some use guys.
ChristosK (Kur Vasilis) Dec 16, 2012 @ 11:28pm 
Originally posted by ThoughtfulSpud:
Ok guys, I'm not sure if this is a fix for all your troubles but i managed to get it started.

Right click Metro2033 in your games library and click properties. Then click the "LOCAL FILES" tab and click "browse local files",now this should bring up the folder in which your Metro game is stored on your computer. Look for a file named "metro2033" (not "metro2033benchmark") and select that. Now hopefully (finger crossed) this should start running Metro.

Hope this is of some use guys.


Not working, but thanks.
Nams Dec 17, 2012 @ 4:56am 
I have same problem, showing error with PhysX dll at start... starting by exe file working.. but it's not good
How can so buggy game on steam be? Hope they will fix it fast
Last edited by Nams; Dec 17, 2012 @ 4:57am
λ phage May 19, 2013 @ 12:51am 
Hey, I too was crashing at startup, and every time I tried "validate files", it said 1 failed. But that kept happening again and again. However, I found a fix that worked for me!!

The problem seemed to be with the intro movie file, so I found and downloaded THIS FILE (click to download)[home.comcast.net], extracted it into my steamapps\common\metro 2033 folder, and now I have no more crashes!

Basically that file just forces the game to skip the intro, which was causing my game to crash. I hope it fixes your problems too!
Last edited by λ phage; May 19, 2013 @ 12:52am
Lateralus May 19, 2013 @ 1:22am 
um for any one getting the PhysX error with a ATI card, restart your computer after installing PhysX....
PhysX is a Nvidia thing and requires a restart to fin instaling...
Last edited by Lateralus; May 19, 2013 @ 1:24am
Feric May 19, 2013 @ 8:31am 
Originally posted by ThoughtfulSpud:
Ok guys, I'm not sure if this is a fix for all your troubles but i managed to get it started.

Right click Metro2033 in your games library and click properties. Then click the "LOCAL FILES" tab and click "browse local files",now this should bring up the folder in which your Metro game is stored on your computer. Look for a file named "metro2033" (not "metro2033benchmark") and select that. Now hopefully (finger crossed) this should start running Metro.

Hope this is of some use guys.


It Works!!!Thanks!!
Snivets Jun 9, 2013 @ 6:42pm 
On Win8 64bit as well, the video patch helped me too. Thanks for this! This should be the top google result for this issue.
Fyckfaco Jun 22, 2013 @ 7:56am 
Uninstall your physx from control panel, then navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Metro 2033\install and install physx PhysX_10.02.22_9.10.0222_SystemSoftware.exe file.
Showing 1-15 of 74 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50