Posted: June 26, 2013
One of the most fun spellcasting systems I have ever seen! Knowing what to cast in what situation has never been more satisfying. The concept itself of combining elements to make spells had me sold, and the game itself managed to value that potential.
The freedom of doing whatever the ♥♥♥♥ you want whenever you want is amazing. No ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ mana bars. No crappy skill trees. No cooldowns. Pure, unaltered, raw power, scaled with your skill level. Some DBZ style ♥♥♥♥ here.
There are downsides though:
- arrowhead did one of the crappiest netcodes in existence. Crashes happen. Connections don't. Hosting doesn't work most of the time. Multiplayer is such an amazing experience, be it Adventure, Challenge or Versus and crap like this stands in the way. If you can overlook that, this game is easily a 88/100, but with the crappy 1998 multiplayer, the score is rightfully dragged down to 74.
- latency in this game is on steroids for some reasons, probably bad optimization
- too few people play, and because of the crappy matchmaking system you need to know people's numbers and have friends that play
- they pump out a ton of DLCs, something that I hate on principle
- the devs aren't really fixing much. They're adding more stuff and grabbing lodsemoneh
- limited to a max of 4 players per game (and I think having way more would've been so much fun; game is not made for this)
- the combinations you can do with those 8 elements is mindblowing
- so much fun in all 3 modes: Adventure, Challenge and especially Versus if you are at a high skill level and monsters are too weak
- skill level can be INSANE. One guy can take out 100 other wizards and 1000 mobs, without getting a scratch.
- single player is a lot of fun: comedic story, fun missions, DLCs aren't bad, they're just short
- various robes you can put on, with various abilities
- at high levels of play, the PVP aspect is balanced, but at low-med levels, you can spam a few spells and always win since people don't know how to counter them
- Versus mode is LODSA fun at high skill levels
- huge skill roof
- great physics and offense-defense mechanics
- intuitive effects of your spells
I recommend it a lot, especially if it's on sale. About the DLCs? I'm not sure. Having the base game is enough imo, the DLCs are really worth it for the extra robes that you can have fun with.
GET YER ROBES ON