Some commands that would be useful... any way to get the results without them?
Having worked through most of my problems from my last post, I was just musing to myself what some useful commands would be for ships and wondering if there was a way to get captains to do these actions without them (short of taking direct control).
1) Zig Zag (Frigate) Frigate...you're a frigate. You're fast, but flimsy. Stop running in a straight line at or away from the enemy. I don't care if you hit with 50% accuracy instead of 80% when you die in 15 seconds.
2) Stay clear (all) Big ship gets damaged. Big ship blows up. Big ship blowing up makes big explosion. Big explosion makes big damage to any ship directly above it....so GET AWAY FROM A SHIP THAT IS ABOUT TO BLOW UP!
3) Broadside (cruiser) You don't have to run STRAIGHT AT an enemy, and by going perpendicular you maintain distance longer, so you don't have to turn around and run away to get back to engagement range in 20 seconds
4) Hit and run (frigate, fighter) Run in, fire, then turn and run out before you get blasted into the latest falling star for whatever backwater planet is below you
5) Escort fighters (fighter) There is a squadron (or more) of fighters that are slower, and are carrying weapons designed to blow up big ships instead of small things....go with them and make sure small things don't blow them up first
6) Charge through (frigate, fighter) A variation of Hit and Run. Use your speed, charge in, fire at anything that gets close enough to fire at, then keep going. Turn around at a set distance and repeat.
7) Target Weapons (all) Why do we blow up everything else first and allow them to damage us until the last 3 seconds when the first thing THEY do is knock out any of our potent weapons? Live and learn...and blow up the things they use to blow us up.
8) Strip Shields (cruisers) Attack anything with shields. When the shields fail, move on to a new target. Leave blowing him up to the other guys. When no one left has shields, lend a hand in blowing up the remainder.
9) Attack shieldless targets (all) Prioritize targets with dropped shields...why would you try to bring down the shields of a second guy anyways when you can vaporize the first guy and stop him from shooting at you?
10) Hide (Frigate) Hide behind an escorting cruiser, use them as a shield until you're close enough in to start attacking yourself.
Just some commands I'd like to see -or be able to make the effect of with what we have.