ZKtheMAN, Cursed by Lagspikes Dec 14, 2013 @ 2:35pm
Seriously ♥♥♥♥ed at Error 53
Let me explain.

I have a Dell XPS 8700, unchanged. I got my copy of Serious Sam 3 in the Humble Jumbo Bundle. Whenever I try to run the game it says, "Completing installation... 1%". The number increases for a while, and then it says, "The Steam servers are too busy to handle your request for Serious Sam 3. (53)." I've tried everything, and nothing's worked, or it resulted in a dead link. And that's ♥♥♥♥ing me off. Seriously.
(I'm sorry, I have to make seriousness puns.)
So. if anyone can help me, that would be awesome.
Showing 1-15 of 19 comments
< >
AlenL  [developer] Dec 14, 2013 @ 3:53pm 
This generally means that the installation couldn't be completed due to any various reasons. As far as I understand (as I'm not Valve's support), this seems to be caused by either not being able to get bits from Steam servers, or not being able to write them to disk. Here's how to try to fix it:

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=5483-YUFN-0521
ZKtheMAN, Cursed by Lagspikes Dec 14, 2013 @ 4:11pm 
Tried it all, didn't work.
TMAC Blade Dec 14, 2013 @ 5:12pm 
Originally posted by ZKtheMAN:
Let me explain.

I have a Dell XPS 8700, unchanged. I got my copy of Serious Sam 3 in the Humble Jumbo Bundle. Whenever I try to run the game it says, "Completing installation... 1%". The number increases for a while, and then it says, "The Steam servers are too busy to handle your request for Serious Sam 3. (53)." I've tried everything, and nothing's worked, or it resulted in a dead link. And that's ♥♥♥♥ing me off. Seriously.
(I'm sorry, I have to make seriousness puns.)
So. if anyone can help me, that would be awesome.
perhaps you shuold verify integrety of game cache? assuming you have that option since you bought it from humble bundle. i would also see what happens if you run the game direclty from the .exe file. if that doesnt work then try to run the game as administrator. i havnt had too much experince with trying to fix problems with this game so what i am saying are common fixes used on all games. i would suggest deleting ini files and then just verifying integrety of game cache but this isnt a unreal engine game.
ZKtheMAN, Cursed by Lagspikes Dec 14, 2013 @ 7:35pm 
Originally posted by IamAFuriKiwi:
Originally posted by ZKtheMAN:
Let me explain.

I have a Dell XPS 8700, unchanged. I got my copy of Serious Sam 3 in the Humble Jumbo Bundle. Whenever I try to run the game it says, "Completing installation... 1%". The number increases for a while, and then it says, "The Steam servers are too busy to handle your request for Serious Sam 3. (53)." I've tried everything, and nothing's worked, or it resulted in a dead link. And that's ♥♥♥♥ing me off. Seriously.
(I'm sorry, I have to make seriousness puns.)
So. if anyone can help me, that would be awesome.
perhaps you shuold verify integrety of game cache? assuming you have that option since you bought it from humble bundle. i would also see what happens if you run the game direclty from the .exe file. if that doesnt work then try to run the game as administrator. i havnt had too much experince with trying to fix problems with this game so what i am saying are common fixes used on all games. i would suggest deleting ini files and then just verifying integrety of game cache but this isnt a unreal engine game.

Well, running from the .exe doesn't work, moddable version or not, or either .exe files, as there are two files: Sam3.exe and Sam3_Unrestricted.exe. They bring up Error 53 again. Running as admin does nothing. Rightfully so, seeing as I AM THE ADMIN. All game cache files check out fine. Still doesn't work. I am starting to get really frustrated with this game.
R.I.P Dimebag :( :( :( Dec 15, 2013 @ 4:12am 
Originally posted by Garfeel:
I have a solution to this problem! (I think)
You need to reboot your computer into safe mode then reboot the computer into normal mode.
It should work(It worked for me!)
Spread the word if it works!:gmod:

that sounds idiotic.
TMAC Blade Dec 15, 2013 @ 8:23am 
Originally posted by Garfeel:
I have a solution to this problem! (I think)
You need to reboot your computer into safe mode then reboot the computer into normal mode.
It should work(It worked for me!)
Spread the word if it works!:gmod:
you shouldnt have to do that just to run a game. i know both games run on LUA script but seriously i would consider looking at a more vioable option and save this one as more of a last resort.


Originally posted by ZKtheMAN:
Originally posted by IamAFuriKiwi:
perhaps you shuold verify integrety of game cache? assuming you have that option since you bought it from humble bundle. i would also see what happens if you run the game direclty from the .exe file. if that doesnt work then try to run the game as administrator. i havnt had too much experince with trying to fix problems with this game so what i am saying are common fixes used on all games. i would suggest deleting ini files and then just verifying integrety of game cache but this isnt a unreal engine game.

Well, running from the .exe doesn't work, moddable version or not, or either .exe files, as there are two files: Sam3.exe and Sam3_Unrestricted.exe. They bring up Error 53 again. Running as admin does nothing. Rightfully so, seeing as I AM THE ADMIN. All game cache files check out fine. Still doesn't work. I am starting to get really frustrated with this game.
and also this is a common issue with games like this. another game called killing floor has this same problem. if you buy it form tripwire interactives web site via a trial verison the game will not work properly. buying a digital copy from another digital provider and needing to play it on another digital provider for some reason hasnt been to amazing for some people. maybe if you bought it directly from steam it would have been different but im not sure. i would suggest you trying to load the game on another computer and see if that does anything
ZKtheMAN, Cursed by Lagspikes Dec 15, 2013 @ 9:13am 
Originally posted by Garfeel:
I have a solution to this problem! (I think)
You need to reboot your computer into safe mode then reboot the computer into normal mode.
It should work(It worked for me!)
Spread the word if it works!:gmod:

Did not work. I agree with Beastt-Kano, that sounds stupid.
ZKtheMAN, Cursed by Lagspikes Dec 15, 2013 @ 9:16am 
Originally posted by IamAFuriKiwi:
Originally posted by ZKtheMAN:

Well, running from the .exe doesn't work, moddable version or not, or either .exe files, as there are two files: Sam3.exe and Sam3_Unrestricted.exe. They bring up Error 53 again. Running as admin does nothing. Rightfully so, seeing as I AM THE ADMIN. All game cache files check out fine. Still doesn't work. I am starting to get really frustrated with this game.
and also this is a common issue with games like this. another game called killing floor has this same problem. if you buy it form tripwire interactives web site via a trial verison the game will not work properly. buying a digital copy from another digital provider and needing to play it on another digital provider for some reason hasnt been to amazing for some people. maybe if you bought it directly from steam it would have been different but im not sure. i would suggest you trying to load the game on another computer and see if that does anything

Well, I really don't have another computer I can test this on. So that last bit won't do anything. But that info about Killing Floor was interesting.
AlenL  [developer] Dec 15, 2013 @ 9:19am 
IAmAFuryKiwi, I appreciate that you are trying to help, but please don't spread unverified information as if it was a fact. This is not related to how the game was bought. In any case, you always end up with a Steam installation.

The problem here is that for some reason, Steam client cannot install the game completely. That means that either it cannot download some bits from the Steam servers, or it cannot write them to disk. Reasons could be various. A small chance is that there is really a connection issue, but in that case it shouldn't persist for so long. Most likely is that it cannot write it to disk. Sometimes some security software blocks it. Either on the machine, or in some "smart firewall" (e.g. if you are dl-ing this through a corporate network, or through some overzealous ISP (though the latter is very unlikely to happen), then perhaps a firewall somewhere between you and the internet is blocking some parts of the exe thinking that it's suspicious.

But in most cases it is inability to write it to disk. Sometimes security software or antivirus is blocking parts of it. Sometimes, on the other hand, it is just that file access permission on the disk are mixed up for some strange reason, and Steam simply doesn't have full permissions to write to where the game is installing.

In any case, Kiwi's advice to try it on another computer is sound - if it is feasible for you. That will rule out the case of "Cannot download", and make you certain that it is simply "cannot write to disk".
TMAC Blade Dec 15, 2013 @ 9:22am 
Originally posted by AlenL:
IAmAFuryKiwi, I appreciate that you are trying to help, but please don't spread unverified information as if it was a fact. This is not related to how the game was bought. In any case, you always end up with a Steam installation.

The problem here is that for some reason, Steam client cannot install the game completely. That means that either it cannot download some bits from the Steam servers, or it cannot write them to disk. Reasons could be various. A small chance is that there is really a connection issue, but in that case it shouldn't persist for so long. Most likely is that it cannot write it to disk. Sometimes some security software blocks it. Either on the machine, or in some "smart firewall" (e.g. if you are dl-ing this through a corporate network, or through some overzealous ISP (though the latter is very unlikely to happen), then perhaps a firewall somewhere between you and the internet is blocking some parts of the exe thinking that it's suspicious.

But in most cases it is inability to write it to disk. Sometimes security software or antivirus is blocking parts of it. Sometimes, on the other hand, it is just that file access permission on the disk are mixed up for some strange reason, and Steam simply doesn't have full permissions to write to where the game is installing.

In any case, Kiwi's advice to try it on another computer is sound - if it is feasible for you. That will rule out the case of "Cannot download", and make you certain that it is simply "cannot write to disk".
okay sorry about the bad info. just thoguth it sounded similar. but yest trying on another computer sometimes helps.
ZKtheMAN, Cursed by Lagspikes Dec 15, 2013 @ 4:23pm 
Originally posted by Garfeel:
We, I apologize if it didn't work. It worked for me, so I thought it might be a solution.
Also, save the rude comments for something else.

Yeah, sorry about that.
ZKtheMAN, Cursed by Lagspikes Dec 15, 2013 @ 8:24pm 
SERIOUS UPDATE: After a reinstall and several hours, I ran the moddable version out of randomness and it worked. No idea why.
Terepin Dec 15, 2013 @ 11:11pm 
Originally posted by Garfeel:
Also, save the rude comments for something else.
He's right, it is stupid. It's like saying "Drink a glass of water, then return to your PC and it should start".
TMAC Blade Dec 16, 2013 @ 6:27am 
Originally posted by Terepin:
Originally posted by Garfeel:
Also, save the rude comments for something else.
He's right, it is stupid. It's like saying "Drink a glass of water, then return to your PC and it should start".
well it is not that stupid. there are some games where some of the stupidest fixes actualy fix the problem (example: running steam in offline mode to get bioshock infinite to work). though i would not recomend running this game in safe mode it could be a fix, but only one to be saved if your really desperate to play the game.
Terepin Dec 16, 2013 @ 11:04am 
Steam and it's games are related. Game and OS's safe mode, however, is not.
Showing 1-15 of 19 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Dec 14, 2013 @ 2:35pm
Posts: 19