lufia22 Jul 26, 2013 @ 10:24am
This game is so stressful.
Never played Serious Sam before, but man does this game stress me out. Enemies are constantly running at you. There are traps an ambushes everywhere. The game almost punishes you for picking up power-ups.

It's fun, but it sure is tense.
Showing 1-15 of 38 comments
< >
NickyWhat Jul 26, 2013 @ 4:55pm 
It harkens back to the classic FPs genre of Doom, Castle Wolfenstein, Shadow Warrior and Duke Nukem. Almost always expect secrets to come at a price :p! I much prefer the style of this then to the typical BORING military shooters that are pumped out yearly. Serious Sam is probably my favorite fps, it just has charm out the ♥♥♥, tons of secrets that (imo) are really cool to discover.

It def gets crazy but I've never been stressed from this franchise, it's meant to be over the top, brutal and at times insane. With that in mind, being ambushed/killed is more like a fun workout.
lufia22 Jul 26, 2013 @ 6:01pm 
I like Doom and Duke Nukem 3D, but something about this game stresses me out more. I think it's because enemies are much more vicious and run straight at you.
swingline Jul 26, 2013 @ 8:42pm 
I think it's like you mention - they not only run at you fast (those skeleton horse like things especially) - but teleport in right behind you and all around you and often come in mobs. I actually think the big bull thing that runs at you in the big outside areas is kindof fun - dodging him while taking care of other more pressing critters - bot those clippety cloppety hooved things that come in packs and get on you fast - they bug me. Maybe it's because I don't have a gun that can handle swarms of them yet (I couldn't figure out how to get the chaingun that was up in a hidden area), so I'm mostly working with the shotgun/double barrel shotgun and rocket launcher in certain cases, and for long range stuff the pistols are still pretty useful. Hopefully I get the chaingun before the end of the campaign as the shotgun is not good for rapid fire at swarms.
Grox3000 Jul 27, 2013 @ 8:12am 
The thousands of enemies was kind of the point, it's not supposed to be easy.

Tip: Run around strafing while shooting helps, and you have a higher chance of surviving.
Wraith Sep 12, 2013 @ 9:47pm 
Originally posted by swingline:
I think it's like you mention - they not only run at you fast (those skeleton horse like things especially) - but teleport in right behind you and all around you and often come in mobs. I actually think the big bull thing that runs at you in the big outside areas is kindof fun - dodging him while taking care of other more pressing critters - bot those clippety cloppety hooved things that come in packs and get on you fast - they bug me. Maybe it's because I don't have a gun that can handle swarms of them yet (I couldn't figure out how to get the chaingun that was up in a hidden area), so I'm mostly working with the shotgun/double barrel shotgun and rocket launcher in certain cases, and for long range stuff the pistols are still pretty useful. Hopefully I get the chaingun before the end of the campaign as the shotgun is not good for rapid fire at swarms.

The chaingun is accessed by blowing up the statue opposing it, then stepping on the pedestal. There's a hidden launch pad that throws you up into the room. Hooray helpful secret thread necromancy!
Bilouba Sep 13, 2013 @ 5:47am 
I love that game, for me it's more stress releaving for me, since I focus on the action and forget about the rest.
[Linux] UZzK5RDF Sep 13, 2013 @ 6:40am 
God, just bought this game. Those damn guys who scream and run at you with bombs, it's stressful!
DOOMJESUS Sep 13, 2013 @ 7:02am 
it's quite immersive...
Wraith Sep 13, 2013 @ 10:17am 
Originally posted by Automatic:
God, just bought this game. Those damn guys who scream and run at you with bombs, it's stressful!

It's not really stressful, more comedic. I mean really. It's a headless suicide bomber. How much less politically correct can you get these days?
Hans Brotmeister Sep 13, 2013 @ 2:58pm 
Originally posted by Wraith:
It's not really stressful, more comedic. I mean really. It's a headless suicide bomber. How much less politically correct can you get these days?

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH! yourself."

Best line ever. I laughed so hard when Sam said that. ^^
=EH?=Owl Sep 14, 2013 @ 11:37am 
Originally posted by NickyWhat:
It harkens back to the classic FPs genre of Doom, Castle Wolfenstein, Shadow Warrior and Duke Nukem. Almost always expect secrets to come at a price :p! I much prefer the style of this then to the typical BORING military shooters that are pumped out yearly. Serious Sam is probably my favorite fps, it just has charm out the ♥♥♥, tons of secrets that (imo) are really cool to discover.

It def gets crazy but I've never been stressed from this franchise, it's meant to be over the top, brutal and at times insane. With that in mind, being ambushed/killed is more like a fun workout.

Beated so many times Duke 3D, spent a lot of time with shadow warrior and doom 1/2 and i can say this is much worse. Agree completly with OP, specially about the ambushes. They just respawn behind you constantly.
Last edited by =EH?=Owl; Sep 14, 2013 @ 11:46am
nallepuh Sep 15, 2013 @ 5:29am 
Well due to bad level desing, it makes game stressfull. Yes, it brings loads of enemies at you just like old fps shooters, but serious sam has major desing flaws that makes this game annoying compared to doom or duke. blocking your behind, so you cannot get those pickups that you didnt have to use before and it reduces possible tactical positionings. Second flaw is piperun maps, unlike doom or duke, in those games you had multiple baths to go places, this doesnt. Third and biggest mistake what makes this game frustrating is spawning enemies, expecially locations where they spawn. Spawning suicide bomber just behind you is not fun.
Wraith Sep 15, 2013 @ 10:36am 
It was originally one of those old FPS titles. The HD is a re-release with updated graphics. Those games weren't about tactics and open worlds (and you're wrong with Duke and Doom, the originals funneled you pretty tightly--key cards), just surviving hordes of enemies. I won't disagree with the spawning situation, though I don't ever really -not- hear them.

It's a twitch shooter, not a tactical shooter. Remember that and you'll do fine.
[Linux] UZzK5RDF Sep 16, 2013 @ 4:57am 
Originally posted by Wraith:
Originally posted by Automatic:
God, just bought this game. Those damn guys who scream and run at you with bombs, it's stressful!

It's not really stressful, more comedic. I mean really. It's a headless suicide bomber. How much less politically correct can you get these days?

Yeah, but, when twenty spawn in at once from all corners of the map and two hits can kill you, it really gets stressful hearing that "AAAAAAAAHHHHH" right behind you.

nope.avi

Basically the only way to really do it is to kite them... a lot.
ToneLeMoan Sep 16, 2013 @ 8:27am 
Yep. It's old-school for sure. That's why I love it :)
Showing 1-15 of 38 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50