Jhonis Nov 9, 2013 @ 8:37pm
Why does it keep on telling me to plug in an Xbox controller?
Really, why?
Showing 1-15 of 17 comments
< >
Shadowspaz Nov 9, 2013 @ 10:57pm 
You mean at the start? Cause it's better with a controller. It was designed to be played with one.
Jhonis Nov 10, 2013 @ 12:55am 
is there any store that sell them for a price less then an arm and a leg?
Jhonis Nov 10, 2013 @ 12:58am 
What do you think I have been playing it with?
Because a mouse wouldn't work with it.
Shadowspaz Nov 10, 2013 @ 1:41am 
Originally posted by PortalOrange:
Originally posted by Shadowspaz:
You mean at the start? Cause it's better with a controller. It was designed to be played with one.

No it isn't.
What? Yes it was. The original may have been a flash game, but Super Meat Boy was built for XBLA. Can't really use a keyboard there.

And yeah, you can play it with a keyboard. I 100%ed it my first time on a keyboard. But a controller does feel really nice.

Regarding buying one, I think my friend was able to pick up a third-party one for 20-30 bucks at a Wal-Mart.
Last edited by Shadowspaz; Nov 10, 2013 @ 1:42am
Noob Sauce Nov 10, 2013 @ 5:59am 
Way way better with a controller...
iLikeSheep Nov 10, 2013 @ 7:33am 
Originally posted by PortalOrange:
Originally posted by <=={Dr. Sucio}==>:
Way way better with a controller...

You only played 1 hour.

Why does almost everyone who says controller is better barely has any playtime?

You don't need more than that to see which one is better. Not only that, but also time played offline is not tracked.

You'll do fine with a keyboard anyway.
Shadowspaz Nov 10, 2013 @ 2:43pm 
Hey. Portal. Check my hours, if you insist on acting like this.

It is the general consensus that controller feels better, but, as I have already said, I 100%ed the game without one. It's doable. It doesn't feel bad. But controller feels better.
Waypoint Nov 10, 2013 @ 5:01pm 
I've played it on XBLA and keyboard, and I feel comfortable saying it really depends on the level. The controller maps boolean inputs to analog triggers/sticks when there's really no reason to do so (your movement doesn't have degrees of sensitivity). This can make it superficially feel more natural for levels that require more fluid jumping, but can impede others.

A good portion of the middle segment of the game features a lot of areas that do their best to discourage you from using a gamepad, where the easiest path is defined by these mechanical jumps regulated by rapidly alternating inputs. Level 3-2X has a series of jumps in the middle where the wall jumps are best aimed with no directional input at all and just toggling your dash on and off. 3-13X is considerably easier with discreet taps of a button than a stick. And so on.

The main problem is that using a "squishy" button for a non-squishy input forces your finger to travel further to do the same thing and makes the border where it kicks over ambiguous; this can slow down your ability to change inputs very quickly by a critical fraction of a second, and throw off your timing. While I'm not there yet, I'd assume a keyboard would be optimal at top levels of play if you could adjust comfortably to your hands effectively being reversed.

If the game took degrees of sensitivity from the stick, it would easily be better. But alas.


PS: If you're going to play with the keyboard, the default button map, to be blunt, sucks goat pubes. Go to:

C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\Super Meat Boy

Open up buttonmap.cfg in a text editor, and change dash and jump to keys that are less horrendously awkward. Shift+Space forces you to turn your left hand outward at an awkward angle and hold down a button for long periods of time with a non-dominant finger while tapping another with a thumb at odd extension, which is an awesome way to get carpal tunnel. I recommend remapping them to Z-X or some other pair of immediately adjacent keys that can be hit with middle-index in a more relaxed hand position.
Last edited by Waypoint; Nov 10, 2013 @ 5:08pm
icculus  [developer] Nov 10, 2013 @ 5:17pm 
Fwiw, the "plug in a controller!" screen is there specifically to replace the Microsoft-mandated "Please don't turn off the console when you see this save icon" screen that the Xbox version shows.
jeff Nov 12, 2013 @ 6:44am 
Originally posted by Waypoint:
I've played it on XBLA and keyboard, and I feel comfortable saying it really depends on the level. The controller maps boolean inputs to analog triggers/sticks when there's really no reason to do so (your movement doesn't have degrees of sensitivity). This can make it superficially feel more natural for levels that require more fluid jumping, but can impede others.

A good portion of the middle segment of the game features a lot of areas that do their best to discourage you from using a gamepad, where the easiest path is defined by these mechanical jumps regulated by rapidly alternating inputs. Level 3-2X has a series of jumps in the middle where the wall jumps are best aimed with no directional input at all and just toggling your dash on and off. 3-13X is considerably easier with discreet taps of a button than a stick. And so on.

The main problem is that using a "squishy" button for a non-squishy input forces your finger to travel further to do the same thing and makes the border where it kicks over ambiguous; this can slow down your ability to change inputs very quickly by a critical fraction of a second, and throw off your timing. While I'm not there yet, I'd assume a keyboard would be optimal at top levels of play if you could adjust comfortably to your hands effectively being reversed.
I use a Logitech F310, which has a usable d-pad, and I rebound sprint to RB. It's pretty much the best of both worlds.
Ser Nov 12, 2013 @ 5:42pm 
Plug it in.
Jhonis Nov 12, 2013 @ 5:48pm 
Originally posted by Ser:
Plug it in.
All I got is an Arcade cabinet like controller that does not seem to work and a PS3 controller that came with my PS3 and I cannot seem to figer out how to get it to work with the computer.
Or are you suggesting that I try to plug some else in?
Like a Wiimote or something else?
jeff Nov 13, 2013 @ 1:45am 
You could try x360ce (google it) with the PS3 controller.
paradox :smug:wich Nov 13, 2013 @ 9:59am 
Play with what you feel more comfortable. I use keyboard because I'm sloppy as ♥♥♥♥ when it comes to controllers.

Then again, I have only like 5 hours of gameplay, so I can't judge.
Last edited by paradox :smug:wich; Nov 13, 2013 @ 10:05am
neoman4426 Nov 15, 2013 @ 12:14pm 
Originally posted by Jhonis:
is there any store that sell them for a price less then an arm and a leg?

You can get some decent controllers for pretty cheap. Can get a new in box original Xbox controller S for ~$9 USD with the adaptor to use it on a computer being one of the simplest to make I've ever seen, as long as the donor cable you get the male USB end from matches spec it's just matching colors, or could probably get a premade one pretty cheap. Assuming Windows (Haven't tried with 8, nor a Mac) Mayflash has a signed driver that works, and if the Windows version requires a 360 controller (I don't know) x360ce would work. Though since you have a PS3 controller already plugging that in with a miniUSB cable should work, though it'll have to be a data capable one, not sure if the one that comes with it is charge only or not. Again, may need x360ce if the Windows version only works officially with 360 controllers
Showing 1-15 of 17 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Nov 9, 2013 @ 8:37pm
Posts: 17