Posted: June 1
Machinarium is one of those cute little Indie designs that, due to it's small team or low budget, has to pick up its boots and survive on its charm alone, and while concise and simplistic, it does that in spades. A sombre meander through a beautifully stylized, decaying robotic and alien world.
The reason Machinarium works so well is that it's very simple, what would normally be a flat flash game has been given life with tone, interaction, soundtrack and art style all marrying together to create a truly solid little game.
* The lack of dialogue and the fantastic sound and music, when placed together with the rustic, dystopian art really give the world a strong but still alien character to the world and make you want to explore and see more of it
* Little detailed works like the mini-games for hints add a fun layer of light wonder
* Genuinely none that take away from the game other than perhaps a lacklustre ending
Play time clocks in at 5 hours, and there are better indie titles out there for less than Machinarium, and with more replay value, of which Machinarium has very little, but at £7.49/8.49€/$9.99, it's still a reasonably priced and is a good buy when on sale.
There's also an Amanita Collection
, which matches the prices of the separate games, but adds the value of the Machinarium soundtrack for free, but since it's soothing and ambient, but not a particularly amazing soundtrack, buying the titles separately is going to be the better choice for most.
* There's a free demo available on the store page
* You can play Samorost (a previous flash title by Amanita) on their website for free[amanita-design.net]
* [spoler]The bricks with the spiders in the hint-book sometimes spell out the word rebol..[/spoiler] ..if you type "rebol" on the start screen you will gain access to a developer menu where you can select all levels and access all items
* There's was a limited edition Machinarium Fan Edition[forum.amanita-design.net]
which may still be available on Amazonhttp://store.steampowered.com/app/40700