Willowblade Mar 13, 2013 @ 5:57pm
Linux port
How hard would it be to port this to linux?

I don't really know, but this would probably be the best addition to my Steam for Linux library I could think of. I recently did a full switch and while I am able to run this in wine, this would be so great with a native linux port. I miss this game. Of course, this is probably not all that profitable to work for a small indie dev, but it's okay to dream, isn't it?
Showing 1-15 of 68 comments
< >
OzoneGrif Mar 14, 2013 @ 11:37am 
WineHQ says it works perfectly fine with Wine.
http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=24180
Willowblade Mar 14, 2013 @ 11:52am 
Let's quote myself here.

"I recently did a full switch and while I am able to run this in wine, this would be so great with a native linux port."

Yeaya.
OzoneGrif Mar 14, 2013 @ 5:08pm 
Yeah but it runs flawlessly in Wine. Your argument is invalid.
Willowblade Mar 14, 2013 @ 10:28pm 
I don't even have an argument, I have a request. Which isn't invalid in any way. Running a game in wine gets you less performance than running it native. It also has a gold rating, which isn't 'flawlessly', and was not yet tested in 6.X on WineHQ, and future updates could (though not very likely with this game) break it.
sounds like a wooosh Mar 15, 2013 @ 6:06am 
Native is always preferred of course. Wine is always only a work-around.

I think Arcen Games knows what they lose currently – because their indie game fits perfectly in the category of games that just have been on the Linux sale.
They let it slip. No extra-advertising!

My estimation is that doing a port to Linux for their games is not that hard… but I am not a developer – and only Arcen Games will know where they put their man-power. For reasons most likely!

I also think that – even if they let the big sale slip – the market for Linux is growing. – Things like the Steam box are not even buy-able.

I personally can run the games with WIne – and (thanks to Arcen) also without Steam. So I can even start them with the native Linux client open… But I must say that I play the games less because of the fact that they currently can't be started from inside the Linux with wine.
sounds like a wooosh Mar 18, 2013 @ 4:11am 
There seems to be a bug in the Unity-engine thats makes a Linux version of the game very slow. The issue has recently been confirmed.

See here
Topic: AI War for Linux? http://www.arcengames.com/forums/index.php/topic,12654.0.html
Topic: Linux Version Planned? http://www.arcengames.com/forums/index.php/topic,12365.0
UbuntuIsFriendly Sep 8, 2013 @ 9:59pm 
Originally posted by sounds like a wooosh:
There seems to be a bug in the Unity-engine thats makes a Linux version of the game very slow. The issue has recently been confirmed.

See here
Topic: AI War for Linux? http://www.arcengames.com/forums/index.php/topic,12654.0.html
Topic: Linux Version Planned? http://www.arcengames.com/forums/index.php/topic,12365.0

Is there a Unity bug report we can follow?
tigersfan  [developer] Sep 10, 2013 @ 10:12am 
Not sure if there is a Unity bug report. But, I can say that when we figure it out, we do plan to port this and all our games into Linux. The thing is, the games run fine in Linux, but, with the newest version of Unity (the one that supports Linux) then the games run poorly on some Windows machnes.
UbuntuIsFriendly Sep 10, 2013 @ 7:25pm 
Originally posted by tigersfan:
Not sure if there is a Unity bug report. But, I can say that when we figure it out, we do plan to port this and all our games into Linux. The thing is, the games run fine in Linux, but, with the newest version of Unity (the one that supports Linux) then the games run poorly on some Windows machnes.

Ah,, that's strange. Actually I guess it's not that strange. It's just a regression. And the regression probably isn't because of the added Linux support but because of other changes in Unity 4 (although I don't really know). Hopefully they fix it soon.

In any case, thanks for the explanation.
Teodosio Jul 5, 2014 @ 4:33pm 
Any news?
tigersfan  [developer] Jul 5, 2014 @ 7:44pm 
We are waiting until after the expansion (and free version 8.0) come out in August, then we'll be porting that to linux in a beta environment for a month or so, and then releasing that live after that.
sounds like a wooosh Jul 5, 2014 @ 9:59pm 
Ohhh, yesss!
Teodosio Jul 6, 2014 @ 4:04am 
Originally posted by tigersfan:
We are waiting until after the expansion (and free version 8.0) come out in August, then we'll be porting that to linux in a beta environment for a month or so, and then releasing that live after that.

I'm looking forward to that! Thanks and keep up the good work!
Willowblade Jul 7, 2014 @ 9:47am 
I love you, Arcenbros.
tigersfan  [developer] Jul 7, 2014 @ 3:12pm 
Just please don't murder me if we don't hit that exact schedule. :) But a Linux port is definitely in the works for this title (as well as most of our titles).
Showing 1-15 of 68 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50