Posted: November 21
I may be a little biased in that I liked this game even before I played it. When I first purchased AI war, it was on the Arcen Games site and they sent a little email about how they don't believe in DRM, and therefore I could always play using my key, and if I lost my key, simply contact them.
I then purchased this again on steam at a completely reasonable price. I like having my games consolidated in one place and this game was worth it.
I really can't say enough about how good this game is. I doubt even the folks with negative reviews would say absolutely do not buy it. Onto the game:
- great AI that you can tweak any way you like. Arcen even goes so far as to explain why the AI works the way it does and makes a plausible (sci-fi) argument about it.
- vast array of ships for research
- a million different galaxies all seeded with their own unique resources
- Arcen keeps upgrading the game mostly for free, but each expansion is very well priced
- statistics about each game are very in depth providing great feedback
I've read the negative reviews and the main arguments are graphics and UI. Personally, I'm impressed with the UI. Every single element is customizable. You can change any key, and there's a menu with auto management choices that make things easy for you. There are about 4 keys you can click while mouse clicking to make your ships behave differently and it's simple.
The graphics are not excellent, but it's a compromise between performance and graphics. This game will work on older systems, there are no glitches, it doesn't require high-end cards, yet it works even during battles with thousands of ships.