One of the worst RPGs I ever had the displeasure of playing. Let me break down my favourites just for the fun of it...
- Clunky Controls : The guy moves like a friggin tank and everything feels so horribly sluggish, especially paired with those stiff as wood animations.
- Terrible Combat : Click click click click click click click..Oh wait, there's actualy counter parries, dodge rolls and..nvm click click click click click click..Also, enemies can break your attack animation by simply hitting you with whatever they fancy. You, however, can not do the same to them, which is especially fun when you often have to fight 2 or 3 things at once.
- Tedious Quests : This game even makes you pay your hard earned..and I mean HARD EARNED gold to move on in some quests. Nothing more RPG than having a silvertongue skill of 60 to make a ♥♥♥♥♥ drop her price from 1000 to 500 gold..well invested skills points, sir...Or you get the usual "collect this and that through laborious and unfun work from all corners of the island".
- Level Up System : You do not level up, you just acquire fame which you then have to spend in 5 categories. Then you also get to pay gold to learn new "abilites" like thieving or lockpicking, for which you often require a certain level in the aforementioned categories. Lockpicking, for example, needs you to have spent around 20000 fame to even be able to learn it on a very basic level. Doing a quest usually gives you 50-100 fame as does killing an enemy..you do the maths. This ties into..
- Exploration Denied : Imagine beating some tough monsters, by letting your comrade do all the work just to reach a chest. Oh no, it requires a xx in lockpicking skill. Access denied, unless you already assembled 20000 fame somehow and the gold to upgrade your skill and the clothing to add some bonus to your skills. In the end you won't even bother to explore anymore, because you will usually lack the skills to reap the rewards. But if you do not lack them, then this ties into..
- Worst Loot EVER : Fancy finding new weapons ? New armor ? A cool hat ? Magic Boots ? Haha, no...All the good items you will get (all those..less than 15 pieces of clothing available in the whole game), will require you to buy them from merchants.. There is absolutely nothing to find equipment-wise, except for a few broken sword pieces which you can smith together (requires you to have spent fame and gold and what not again though to learn smithing in the first place, so..basically not for free either). You won't find any clothes ever, in fact most chest rewards will be absolutely laughable like..I don't know...finding 10 gold in a chest or maybe..MAYBE 50..Usually it's just a major waste of time and effort.
- Fighting the Kraken and the final boss : Ok, mostly the Kraken..who designed that and why ? Seriously..
All in all this game is a major step down from Risen 1, which already wasn't the best game in the world, but still better than this..product.