Posted: March 25
The best MMO I've played. Really.
Only thing I can compare it to is WoW. But there the world is pretty static (or at least was, since I've only played it till WotLK and got bored, so no idea how the things look after the Cataclysm). Here you can get a rift open right above your head if you are (un)lucky enough. There's hardly a way to have nothing to do in this game, since the world changes every minute, bringing forth new challenges.
Of things that I like (concerning gameplay):
- tons of quests, including daily crafting ones (helps improving crafting skills a lot)
- public group option: now you don't have to put the group up yourself, invite each player separately etc; just one click and you're in with all the group bonuses
- invasions!!! Those really bring players together (since it takes quite a lot of running around to fend off all the atacking mobs, seal rifts and defend ward stones in different points of the map at the same time)
- fishing (holy cow, I love fishing in this game!)
- tons of things-to-do-except-for-standard-MMO-stuff: artifacts hunting, minions quests etc.
- it's free; like really - everything u can get with real money, you can get with the in-game currency, it just takes time to gather some coin, but it's doable
- Auction House is not available untill you get Loyalty points - and you can get them only by paying real money or buying one terribly expensive stuff in game (called Rift EXchange); but well, I guess that can be forgiven - that's the only inconvenience I met and it's not really a problem - if the AH was available, REX would be even more expensive since the in-game currency would be easier to get or, in worse case, they would make something else not available to provoke ppl to pay; and one can live without AH, especially if u get into some guild where u can trade with your guildmates (or more like ppl just leave stuff they don't need in guild vault and you just come and get what you need, leaving your thing for others).
Of non-gameplay matters:
- graphic is really great (see screenshots); remember it's an MMO (so u tend to have XX players and mobs on the screen running around, casting spells etc.), and it all runs smoothly even though you can find worse models/animations in single-player games; guys who did the optimization for this game did their job really well
- also graphics stuff - landscapes are beautiful and vast; sure the map is divided into zones, but it's done neatly and not hurting ones eyes (like suddenly coming out of dense forest into almost-desert plains)
- I like how female models are done; I'm always irritaded when I see the "very-fantasy" heroines on high heels, with almost no armor and their boobs bigger than their heads; here the female heroes have quite realistic bodies (like one guy said "hey, I noticed my XXX doesn't wear a bra!") and if they're supposed to be warriors, they wear a full plate (even my rogue wears a full leather)
So if you like MMOs, this one is definitely worth a shot. It has everything a "standard" one should have + some things from itself - and everything done really well.