Posted: January 23, 2011
This review was written on January 23, 2011.
The single player is a 3 hour long generic campain, and the multiplayer is long dead and there is no one to play with. Big waste of money even with a big sale. Some promising ideas but Section 8 ends up being way too generic with a dead multiplayer.
- Dropping from the skies instead of respawning is cool
- Somewhat good cinematics
- All things considered, multiplayer is good and has its own flavor.
- Campaign is 3-4 hours short, story is shallow, the whole single player aspect is unsatisfying.
- Below average level design. It feels too big most of the time, and even if the scenary looks good (the sky above and the smoke on the horizon), things that are immediately close to you like guns, armors, buildings, and such are generic.
- DEAD multiplayer. As I write this, there are exactly 5 multiplayer servers online, 4 of which are empty.
- Contrary to the cinematics, the art ingame is mostly bland.
There is not much to say about Section 8.
The campaign is short and shallow, only 3-4 hours long. When I beat up a mission and seen the credits roll, I was amazed as I thought i was barely 1/4th of the way and just finishing the introduction phase waiting for a greater, more interesting plot to surface. Very disapointed on that aspect.
If the multiplayer was still alive, I'd give this game a 7 instead of a 5. It has a single mode that is similar to domination (control areas), but it has a nice innovation that is the dynamic objectives. Escorting convoys, fetching intel, or either protection or killing VIPs at random keeps things interesting. But unfortunately it has been a while since the multiplayer fell from the skies and cracked its skull on the hard, cold concrete. Playing with 32 people is fun, but right now there is barely a handful of servers online, most of them empty, and the ones populated have barely a few players on and mostly bots.
Because of the dead multiplayer, right now there is no reason to buy this game anymore... unless you find it for 5$ or so, and even then it would still be a questionable purchase.
I'd skip this game entirely.